Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2016, 01:24 AM

Default Clips

My question is in regards to clips. What is the difference between groups and clip groups? And, overall, what exactly are clips. I believe I have a general idea, however, a more detailed explanation would be helpful. As the internet does not seem to have much info on clips, just how to use them
Old 03-15-2016, 04:48 AM

Default Re: Clips

Hi,
Embarrassingly enough, I never use clip groups...
Regular groups are groups of tracks that you create; say, vocals or drum tracks.
It allows you to easily control/manipulate groups of similar tracks.
On a simple level: What if you want to mute 10 tracks all at once instead of pressing mute 10 times?
You can tell the groups dialog what you would like to include in the said group.

Clips are essentially pieces of the total audio file:
You may have a 1 minute kazoo solo....
The entire clip is basically the entire audio file for the kazoo.
If you now go through and chop it up into separate pieces, each of those pieces becomes a "clip".
They used to call them "regions".
The original 1 minute kazoo audio file is still there and intact.... The clips just play the sections that they represent. (The audio file remains unchanged and you can always go back to it)

If you grab the power part of the solo at the 2nd chorus and move it back to the 1st chorus, the clip just tells the machine to play that part of the audio file at that part of the timeline.

In the old days, you would get a razor blade and cut that section of tape and using adhesive tape, paste it back to an earlier part of the tape.
Unfortunately, you also wrecked the original audio file.(tape)

So....
A clip references a piece of the audio file.

Follow me?
Old 03-15-2016, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Clips

And furthermore, I think once you create a clip group, you can adjust the clip gain for the multiple clips at once. Regular groups don't seem to affect clip gain. Took me awhile to figure that out, and I might rather have clip gain as an option in regular group preferences...
Late 2013 Mac Pro (trashcan), 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC, AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB, Startup disk SSD 512. OSX 10.15.7, Pro Tools 2022.10. Carbon (AVB), Lynx Aurora 16(n) (Thunderbolt)