Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 PM

Unhappy Pro Tools MIDI Editor: is it me or is it really that bad??

Hi, this is my first post. I'm new both to the Mbox 3 Pro and Pro Tool 9(.0.5), which I have been intensively using for about two months now.

I've seen this bald guy videos on YouTube explaining how way advanced the MIDI Editor is in Pro Tools 8 (part 1 and part 2), hi's kind of cool and so it seems the MIDI Editor... but it isn't! (he is cool, but the editor is crap).

At first I thought that I screwed some setting because I couldn't believe the MIDI thing sucked so bad. So I deleted my Avid/DigiDesign files on C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Avid to have a clean install, I reviewed the Pro Tools Reference Guide to find out some clue, tried switching on/off things like Mirrored MIDI Editing/Link, Timesline and Edit Selection, Play MIDI Notes when Editing, and so on to no avail.

I can hardly trim a MIDI note when there is some automation (say, modulation wheel) on it, it takes about 30 seconds of keeping pressed the left button of the mouse... no kidding, a-single-note. When editing a few MIDI tracks, switching from one instrument to another takes about 10 seconds, either using the tracks menu or by just clicking on a different instrument on the editor itself; and I'm not talking about a 70-orchestra, right now I'm experiencing this with 6 MIDI tracks.

I already developed a methodology -- fine, enter notes first and leave automation for the end... but then, keeping arranging after I've automated some lanes (music production is a work in constant progress right?) is a pain. And how about if I did want to orchestrate a 70-piece movement anyway? In Pro Tools? With this MIDI Editor?? I'd rather throw both the Mbox and Pro Tools boxes out of the window and save myself some headaches, should I?

Okay, you probably see my frustration by now. My computer is more than fine, shouldn't be the problem (editing audio not MIDI is a flawless). Am I missing something or is this thing really this bad? Anyone else?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:18 PM

Mac?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools MIDI Editor: is it me or is it really that bad??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucero del Alba View Post
Hi, this is my first post. I'm new both to the Mbox 3 Pro and Pro Tool 9(.0.5), which I have been intensively using for about two months now.

I can hardly trim a MIDI note when there is some automation (say, modulation wheel) on it, it takes about 30 seconds of keeping pressed the left button of the mouse... no kidding, a-single-note. When editing a few MIDI tracks, switching from one instrument to another takes about 10 seconds, either using the tracks menu or by just clicking on a different instrument on the editor itself; and I'm not talking about a 70-orchestra, right now I'm experiencing this with 6 MIDI tracks.

Okay, you probably see my frustration by now. My computer is more than fine, shouldn't be the problem (editing audio not MIDI is a flawless). Am I missing something or is this thing really this bad? Anyone else?
Welcome to the club! I've had the same problem after updating to PT 9.05, with any sesssion having more than 50 tracks (my template is 140). I donwgraded to 9.03 and it works better. Not as fast as it should be, but definetly an improvement over 9.05. PT 9.05 has a serious bug when it comes to midi, and after many complaints, AVID is aware of that (check out several threads on that) and they promised a quick fix, which is yet to materialize.

We are all waiting for PT 9.06 or PT 9.1 to fix the midi issues, but Avid was busy releasing PT10, and I heard they recently laid off some employees, so it might take till early 2012 to see the new update.
In the meantime, try uninstalling 9.05, and isntall 9.03 and see if it works.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:38 AM

Hey Jean Paul, thanks a lot for the feedback. I read some people complaining about the "Setting Up MIDI" notice at start up taking too long, but I didn't know about these issues.

I don't have Pro Tools 9.0.3 available for downloading on my Avid.com account for some reason, I have 9.0.2 though, and I've read the updates from 9.0.2 to 9.0.3 are minimal (DAE streaming engine improved, some control surface fixes, couple of video updates); maybe downgrading from 9.0.5 to 9.0.2 would make some improvement if engineers messed it up with MIDI on 9.0.5? I'll give it a try and let you know.

Regards!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Strange - it should be there. I downgraded to 9.03 that way
Old 11-08-2011, 12:45 PM

Just to let you guys if it is of any help to anybody else that I downgraded to PT 9.0.2 and it is a huge improvement on the MIDI Editor response times, day/night difference indeed.

So the MIDI Editor wasn't that bad after all, they just made sure to put the crappiest implementation out on the latest --well, not anymore since 10-- Pro Tools version. Awkward.

Regards!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 AM

like already said....go back to 9.0.3
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanpaul View Post
We are all waiting for PT 9.06 or PT 9.1 to fix the midi issues, but Avid was busy releasing PT10
Switching tracks in MEW has been fixed with Pro Tools 10 and should be included in the next Pro Tools 9 dot release.