Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 10-06-2019, 03:58 AM

Default iZotope Ozone Match EQ vs RX Match EQ

Match EQ is a fantastic workhorse for me in Post work. I routinely use it for matching a Boom mic to a Radio Mic, or an ADR VO. With the release of Ozone 9, I thought "great - now I can do all this right in Audio Suite within PT. No more need to back and forth".

Alas, unless I've not figured something out, this doesn't work in practice. The way Match EQ is implemented in Ozone is quite different in one respect - it is now a 2 stage processs, not a single stage one. In RX, I capture my reference, save as a preset, then throw literally anything at it and it just figures it out like magic. But now in the Ozone version, I need to recaputre the Apply To file for every bit of audio as it changes (radio mics sound very different in different scenarios, and of course VO mics sound different from both). If I just leave it set to my first settings, it doesn't reliablly get it right.

In practice, this is much more labaorious than the old method, so I'll be sticking to the RX incarnation. But important to stress - if you are using it in a context where there's a fixed reference AND a fixed Apply To, as you might well want to do in a music project, then its terrific.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-06-2019, 02:19 PM

Default Re: iZotope Ozone Match EQ vs RX Match EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Match EQ is a fantastic workhorse for me in Post work. I routinely use it for matching a Boom mic to a Radio Mic, or an ADR VO. With the release of Ozone 9, I thought "great - now I can do all this right in Audio Suite within PT. No more need to back and forth".

Alas, unless I've not figured something out, this doesn't work in practice. The way Match EQ is implemented in Ozone is quite different in one respect - it is now a 2 stage processs, not a single stage one. In RX, I capture my reference, save as a preset, then throw literally anything at it and it just figures it out like magic. But now in the Ozone version, I need to recaputre the Apply To file for every bit of audio as it changes (radio mics sound very different in different scenarios, and of course VO mics sound different from both). If I just leave it set to my first settings, it doesn't reliablly get it right.

In practice, this is much more labaorious than the old method, so I'll be sticking to the RX incarnation. But important to stress - if you are using it in a context where there's a fixed reference AND a fixed Apply To, as you might well want to do in a music project, then its terrific.
HUH??
Highlight reference clip: Capture Reference, hit preview :unclick Capture
Highlight Apply to clip: Capture Apply to, hit preview :unclick Capture
Fine tune
Render
Bobs your Uncle.

Easier that back and forth to RX!!

Just used it on a show!!
Old 10-07-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
HUH??
Fine tune
Render
Bobs your Uncle.

Easier that back and forth to RX!!

Just used it on a show!!
So its:

Fine tune
Render
Bobs your Uncle.

vs (after the first time)

Send clip to RX
Apply EQ match
Send clip back.

I vote option 2.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-26-2019, 02:39 PM

Send reference clip to RX
Click analyze
Send destination clip to RX
click process
send back to protools
render
Old 12-14-2019, 07:11 AM

Speaking of this, has anyone managed to try out their Dialogue Match tool??
Old 12-17-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
Speaking of this, has anyone managed to try out their Dialogue Match tool??
I did. Workflow is great and smoother than Ozone for the capture. But of the three modules only one is new - reverb match - and that only works on certain kinds of material. Longer tail reverbs are fine - halls etc - small reflections such as domestic rooms and cars are quite hopeless. I found using Altiverb alongside their existing tools infinitely better.

But it does have potential. They need to keep at it and make reverb match genuinely work on a wide variety of sources. If they crack that then it will be a very useful tool. So didn't buy, but will be waiting for version 2.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 12-23-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
I did. Workflow is great and smoother than Ozone for the capture. But of the three modules only one is new - reverb match - and that only works on certain kinds of material. Longer tail reverbs are fine - halls etc - small reflections such as domestic rooms and cars are quite hopeless. I found using Altiverb alongside their existing tools infinitely better.

But it does have potential. They need to keep at it and make reverb match genuinely work on a wide variety of sources. If they crack that then it will be a very useful tool. So didn't buy, but will be waiting for version 2.
Yeah. I too thought it the idea has potential. I can imagine ti will only get better.

I'm not happy that it's offline AAX only though. I mean, obviously PT integration is great, but we are in a different times now and ProTools isn't the tool getting used in post-production now. There are other DAWs out there with offline processing facilities as well.

This kind of thinking is about 10-20 years old now. It's time to catch up.