Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-11-2013, 11:39 AM

Default Clip color question

Hi,
Is there a way to set up Pro Tools 11 so that your clip backgrounds follow the track colors, but the wave forms remain black?

I enjoy using the track colors and the clip colors to color code my instruments but with some of the color choices the contrast between the background and the wave form is too low for my old eyes and I would like to see sharp, crisp, black wave forms on top of colored clip backgrounds.

Thank You.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Clip color question

Setup (menu) > Preferences > Display tab > Color Coding section > set default clip color coding to Track Color.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks, but that is what I have it set to and this is why I am asking the question.

For example; with that option selected I can make my track header a bright yellow and the background of the clips on that track appear as a muted yellow. The wave forms are also shaded a slightly darker yellow (I have Waveform>Outlines turned off) and I would enjoy it if I could have the track header the color I choose, the clip background the color I choose and yet I would like the waveform to appear very dark... preferably black.

I've been using another DAW for about 20 years and I generally run my drums pale blue, my bass brown, my guitars bright orange, vocals bright yellow, and keyboards purple.

I am not used to colorful waveforms and I would like all the waveforms to appear consistent as the same dark color while enjoying the benefit of color coding with the clips and tracks.

I just tried using only the darker colors on the color palette and I maxed the saturation and brightness and that helped somewhat but now all the color coding seems muted in general but at least the wave forms display with some contrast. I guess that is as close as I will get to what I'd like to view for hours at a time. If anyone has any other suggestions I will appreciate getting a chance to learn about them.

Thank You!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:31 PM

Ah, yes - gotcha. Sorry about that. I read too fast.

I don't think it's possible to have outlined/gradient clip colors. I'm so used to just looking at the track colors, select the track(s), and hit E to Zoom toggle in. I use dark colors for the tracks that are most likely to be edited, which are vocals and bass.