Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2015, 11:42 PM

Default Avid marketing nonsense and Pro Tools plans.

Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 08.53.07.jpg

Just like probably all HD users I got an email from Avid threatening me to upgrade until December 31 to their utopia plan for $599. And if I am not afraid enough I will be punished even more after this date for the whole $999!

I know it was discussed many times here, but I think that now Avid's deaf marketing department must open their eyes (at least).
I am afraid that their promises to the stock holders that the Avid's Nasdaq price will raise in 2016 which is based on their new subscription plan idea will never come true.
The Avid's market price is about the all time low now. Most probably it will break its support point and then go even lower. Much lower.
But what it all means for us, regular users?
The Avid's marketing unit will try to fix their upcoming mistakes by even more aggressive approach to get the money from us. They will probably try to force users to upgrade after that date (Dec 31) by making efforts and tricks without hesitating doing dirtiest things E.g: Making perpetual HD11 license expiring in one year (this is my speculation) and so on.
The more Avid's stocks will sink the more agony we will see.

I am just very sorry to see the dusk of my long time beloved program - Pro Tools because of stupidity and incompetence of the marketing department.
Cause I believe that Avid still has talented and superior skilled engineers.
The only problem is a desperate management / marketing department with its complete ignorance.

The stocks? We'll see in a nearest future Avid's stock going below $4 and even lower than that.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-11-2015, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Avid marketing nonsense and Pro Tools plans.

I belive that HD 10 to HD 11 was $999 whne it first came out then Avid dropped the price to $599 now it's gping back to $999.
Also all HD licneses are perpetual - avid does not offer HD subscriptions
Old 11-11-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
I belive that HD 10 to HD 11 was $999 whne it first came out then Avid dropped the price to $599 now it's gping back to $999.
The $1K was at the beginning as an upgrade price for the CPTK owners, then dropped to $599.
Quote:
Also all HD licneses are perpetual - avid does not offer HD subscriptions
I hope you are and will be right in a future. But have you been notified by anyone when your HD license became non transferable? What if after the Avid stocks falls bellow $4? Perhaps then the owners of PT HD10 will be "granted a 10% discount toward HD13 purchase". Some may call it a speculation, but I call it a tendency.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 11-11-2015, 03:02 AM

Avid's stock price sucked back in 2003 when they were the undisputed king of DAWs and were selling HD systems faster than they could make them.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:47 AM

Drew

The 2002 / 2003 Avid price never dropped below $9 - that was 12 years ago - I think the current price is 6.20. The only time it dropped to about 6.15 or something was the 2 q's before they had to stop trading in 2013... I think.

If you look at companies that had stock for USD9 in 2003 and compare that with Avid - then you will see why there is real reason to be worried about Avid. Avid is trying to fix this by having you pay for software whether they fix or add new features or not. I am stuck with Avid - too deeply invested - but I am not cool with the way they are trying to get the money in at moment.
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 11-11-2015, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefB View Post
Drew

The 2002 / 2003 Avid price never dropped below $9 - that was 12 years ago - I think the current price is 6.20. The only time it dropped to about 6.15 or something was the 2 q's before they had to stop trading in 2013... I think.

If you look at companies that had stock for USD9 in 2003 and compare that with Avid - then you will see why there is real reason to be worried about Avid. Avid is trying to fix this by having you pay for software whether they fix or add new features or not. I am stuck with Avid - too deeply invested - but I am not cool with the way they are trying to get the money in at moment.
Ok, didn't suck as bad, but still sucked.

I'd switch DAWs in a heartbeat if I found one that I liked better.

I own Cubase (it's old though) and Logic, and have tried Reaper (ugh) and Digital Performer but none of them have ever drawn me away. I wish one would sometimes!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Ok, didn't suck as bad, but still sucked.

I'd switch DAWs in a heartbeat if I found one that I liked better.

I own Cubase (it's old though) and Logic, and have tried Reaper (ugh) and Digital Performer but none of them have ever drawn me away. I wish one would sometimes!!
There are elements of both Cubase and Logic that I really like, and bits that I really hate .... they are quite similar to PT in that respect.

But Pro Tools is definitely more intuitive to me, the edit and mix windows as they are are pretty much exactly what I want. It is underlying functionality (or lack of, especially MIDI) that has me grinding my teeth with Pro Tools.

Whereas Cubase is a delight MIDI wise in comparison

And that's the problem, Pro Tools issues are the deeper under the hood stuff, whereas the things I hate about Cubase and Logic are right there in your face, gui related. That's what makes it so hard to transition for peoe that try it.

As for HD, I've decided to sell my 10/11 bundle. I had thought I'd keep it at 11, freeze it there, just in case something amazing and HD only comes up in the future. But I'm beyond that now, and with the cascade down of most of the HD features I used, I see litle point in keeping it.

Better my that HD license goes to someone interested in upgrading to 12 while the cost is only $599, rather than $999.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 11-11-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefB View Post
Drew
...The only time it dropped to about 6.15 or
And at the moment its $6.10 And its lowest was $5.2 on 09/01/2013

If Avid just would listen to me it would make an HD upgrade $99 and drop in all the plugin bundle as perpetual licenses.
Only this simple step would brighten up the mood on the street and probably bring more cash than its current plan of $600. It would also raise a bit its stock as a light optimism's reflection.
But I'm sure that it doesn't listen to a way smarter people than me. So its indeed just my 2 cent.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

Last edited by mgoorevich; 11-11-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Avid's stock price sucked back in 2003 when they were the undisputed king of DAWs and were selling HD systems faster than they could make them.
Yes that's true, however, it has continued to decline since then, and recently was reduced to basically nothing.......No company can sustain that degree of losses year over year for so many years in a row.

No company. This ain't rocket science.

I don't want them to fail, but it continues to get worse and worse.....There is "NO" denying that fact.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 11-11-2015, 07:44 AM

Default Avid marketing nonsense and Pro Tools plans.

Gd news! I won't update til Avid beg us HD user.