Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 05:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019.5 some info please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepan View Post
I have seen lots of people complaining, not just me. And I came to ask why it move so slow! Im talking about why PT has 7 real updates when others have 70!
Just asking why they dont improve it fast enough. Im not the only one asking for simple things like adding a plugin while playback when one track has record enable, or arm the track to record while playback, that is just availble for midi track. Not for audio. That! Is my humble question. Why is it so difficult to offer that in an update!?
Innovators dilemma*. Technical Debt. Emeshed with a struggling business.

(* read the book)

Problems: Avid is a small company, and the audio work within that is a small part, and it has a lot of products to support for that size company (too many). Complexity of a legacy code base across two platforms. Complexity of native and DSP code bases, complexity of supporting EUCON and multiple controller environments. Struggling company financials, Unstable/incompetent past management from CEO down. A board of directors out of touch and asleep. introduction of an AAX plugin before support in the DAW was apparently scalable/performing enough, introduction of AAX with weaker than it should have been marketing/partner development program, even without that being the “youngest plugin format” likely caused issues vs well baked/tested competitors, apparently rocky migration of large chunks of engineering to an outsource provider, legacy technical architecture decisions that still make Pro Tools sensitive to real time issues (on the other hand other DAWs might just mess your audio). Multiple badly done, distracting and brand harming efforts to compete in the low end consumer hardware and DAW market (seemingly one ongoing with Pro Tools First). I am just warming up, but enough... for now.

But you know what... Avid has surprisingly managed to navigate its way out of many of those issues, and here we are today.

... now if you want to see if you can solve your current problem... start a new thread and provide the info expected.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Firstly, this is a user forum. The only answers you’re going to get to your question are at best, informed guesses. You’re not talking to the people that designed or coded the software.

Secondly, if you want an answer from a user who’s been using this software for over 20 years, here goes. PT is VERY old codebase. There are many things I wish it could do and wish it would handle better, but my honest opinion is that the codebase is so old that anything they try to do causes them serious issues or is virtually impossible to do. Bundle that with the the fact that they have to deal with the enormous elephant that is HD hardware, and you have a very complex beast.

The software needs to be rewritten from scratch and be agile. When will it happen? Who knows. The perfect opportunity was with v11, but it didn’t happen then. Will it happen when the Mac OS stops allowing 32bit software to run this year? Maybe. Or maybe they’ll find away to port what needs to be to 64bit without having to rewrite everything from scratch.

What they needed was 2 teams running concurrently. One maintaining and updating the current version and one working on the new version. If it took 5 years, so be it. It wouldn’t have mattered. But to do this requires resources. Not sure if you’ve seen AVIDs financials, but they’re far from flush with cash. Apple they are not.

Anyhoo, hope that helps shed some light on why you’re experience is what it is. Honestly, if it doesn’t work from you, then switch. There’s absolutely no need to stay with PT if you find something like Cubase suits you better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank You Sardi!!!
I know ill never get an answer fron avid so this is really helpful!
So it seams 2019.5 is still working with the old code too.
I have been too long waitting for the new code that would bring what i have been missing, so yes I think ill switch.
Thanks for the help!
Old 05-25-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Innovators dilemma*. Technical Debt. Emeshed with a struggling business.

... now if you want to see if you can solve your current problem... start a new thread and provide the info expected.
And you keep coming with posting my issue. Lol. My issue is general.
My issue is that i cant arm or disarm record on an audio track while playback. For example. How are you gonna help me with that? Lol
Old 05-25-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
My issue is that i cant arm or disarm record on an audio track while playback. For example. How are you gonna help me with that? Lol
You seem to have trouble keeping straight all your “issues”, I was clearly referring to your problems with stability on 2019.5. If you can’t even get the DAW to work what do other feature roadmaps matter? But you had your whine, clear you are not here for anything actually productive, lots of other DAWS for you to use, so go use them..
Old 05-25-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
You seem to have trouble keeping straight all your “issues”, I was clearly referring to your problems with stability on 2019.5. If you can’t even get the DAW to work what do other feature roadmaps matter? But you had your whine, clear you are not here for anything actually productive, lots of other DAWS for you to use, so go use them..
My last reply was deleted, iwas just saying in other words that im not here for your kind of blind pt fan answers, or to fight with you. There were other replies that really helped. Im not whining baby, just asking. The same question, over and over. It seams it makes you angry to not have a proper answer.
Have a good one! Im out! :)
Old 05-25-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Nobody wants to enable record while playback?
It's called quickpunch. Look it up in the manual.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
If pepepan would only post his full system specs as asked for earlier we could probably help him. Looking at his profile page the only computer related bit is he has a 2011 iMac. Doesn't say if it's the 21.5 inch or 27 inch model. At least he doesn't have a 5400 rpm spinner or Fusion drive as his system drive; Apple put in either a 7200 rpm spinner or a smallish ssd.

It's a safe bet he's not running Mojave as those iMacs don't have a Metal compatible video card.

I used to run a 2011 27 inch iMac until the video card crapped out. Until then it was a super stable machine with PT10 and PT11. OSX 10.8.5, OSX 10.9.5 and OSX 10.10.5 - yeah I had three boot partitions on the stock 2 TB 7200 rpm spinner. Yeah it would get a bit warm but that was due to that spinner system drive which was what eventually made the video card die. I did all the recommended optimizations including a couple like deleting the s/w that made the iSite camera run.

But if all pepepan wants is to come here and whine I suggest he get some cheese to go with that

QAPLA!
Old 06-18-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post

But if all pepepan wants is to come here and whine I suggest he get some cheese to go with that
LOL!!!

You guys are fried!
Enjoy the new prices! :)
Old 06-21-2019, 09:13 AM

Avid and digidesign before it, has rode on the “industry standard”
Idea for a long time.
Many use it, avid takes advantage of this, fixing things like crashing, is not done.
But things no one asked for , are added. And avid slaps It self on the back for a job well done, ignoring the customer, exactly like digi did before it.
The 101% price increases for renewals yearly are done because avid thinks its above even its own customers, the 2019 update was pathetic.
They get away with all this , because they can.
They get away with it because we stay customers, and keep paying them for poor product.
Stop paying em, stop using pro tools.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
But things no one asked for, are added.
Oh my word. Do you seriously think Avid Engineering just decides to implement something and then Avid Marketing sells it to customers?

If the "no one" who ask for features implemented are Avid's biggest moneymakers, can you blame Avid if you're not in that group?

Wise company will deliver what 20% is asking if that customer base brings in 80% money. Numbers out of the hat, but the Pareto principle (80/20 rule) should be pretty universal.