Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Hackintosh - Salvage your HD PCI cards - You Can Do It Too!

Great stuff !! Thanks for posting this!

What Bios version do you have ? Some installation guides advise to update the bios of the Jeyway Q67 to 04 but apparently it's kind of a painfull process (DOS formatted USB drive )

Again, great work!

Dan
Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcode View Post
What Bios version do you have ? Some installation guides advise to update the bios of the Jeyway Q67 to 04 but apparently it's kind of a painfull process (DOS formatted USB drive )
Dan
Dan,

Since I have a win PC it was only slightly painful to make the DOS boot drive with the BIOS utility.

I updated my BIOS to the latest and greatest from the jetway site. I didn't want to take any chances.

My goal was to make an OOB experience -- a "true" geek wouldn't mind doing command line and terminal editing -- but I wanted to avoid as much as I could. SO I just RTFM and did what the guy before me did that worked. It seems like many people have done the exact thing.

Good luck to you!

J
Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 PM

Jeremy,
Thanks for your info and time it's been very helpful in regards to the Jetway mother board build. Tonymac has been very helpful for me in regards to other builds in the past as well. This motherboard not being a Gigabyte one has its quirks and is not as easy as the other builds that I've done. (but I will say the Lion install part has been a piece of cake compared to the Snow Leopard builds in the past) After reading almost everything I could find over there on this build I am left with a few opsticals that I have not been able to overcome yet. If you don't mind I will ask you a few question?
1) You never really answered which bios you have, when asked you simple answered "the latest". Can you be more specific please and state which you have?
2) Chimera 1.1 is not working out for me like you stated over on the tonymac boards as well. What are you using as your boot loader?
3) Here you stated that you only really need the Ethernet kext but clearly there's more. (I understand that some is specific hardware dependent like the gpu's, etc)
4) I have messed with the internal gpu and only got 1024x768 resolution, have you spent anymore time with this and what were your results. (I think that the digital audio stream in the HDMI spec might be useful sometime)
Thanks again for your time and dedication to share this info here. I would say that I'm a "c" level nerd as well and my other builds have had dsdt's so even though they were not Lion based many elements where easier. One last thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2light View Post
1) You never really answered which bios you have, when asked you simple answered "the latest".
BIOS A06
http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/NAF92-Q67.html

Quote:
2) Chimera 1.1 is not working out for me like you stated over on the tonymac boards as well. What are you using as your boot loader?
UniBeast
I used the previous version (1.3) since Unibeast just updated last week t 1.4
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/...ion-using.html

I don't know anything about Chimera except it's bundled with Unibeast and it's the magic (secret) sauce. I SIMPLY made a UniBeast usb with Lion 10.7.4 and just let it do its thing.

Quote:
3) Here you stated that you only really need the Ethernet kext but clearly there's more. (I understand that some is specific hardware dependent like the gpu's, etc)
Not much more. I added the hardware monitoring and the nVidia drivers. That's it.

Quote:
4) I have messed with the internal gpu and only got 1024x768 resolution, have you spent anymore time with this and what were your results
I messed with it and gave up almost immediately. There are reports of ubergeeks making the onboard video work, but for the rest of us, we use COMPATIBLE video cards. I had minor issues with the GPU as well since I was hell bent on making my rig "macpro class quiet" -- or better. So my first GPU had to go back since it was not on the list and I didn't have the skillset to make it work. When I bought a compatible GPU FROM THE APPROVED LIST, simply adding nvidia drivers was all that was needed.

I think UniBeast has confused some old-timers since it has simplified the boot loader issue and solved some "OOB" issues. And since the Jetway doesn't have a DSDT, you just skip that step and you get what you get.

Clear(er) now?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM

Jeremy thanks.
Yep I'm having issues with the latest unibeast then. It did not install a boot loader that works and the latest chimera makes it hang. Hmm… will redo with previous build then. Yep mines a super quiet build as well. I'm on my third CPU cooler fan because they are not as quiet as rated. Looks like I'll spend the big bucks on it like my power supply. (Seasonic X series) It makes a huge difference.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the details, I'm about to get started. I'll keep you posted !
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for sharing!

Is the i7 you used the fastest/newest/best processor to build a Hackington with??

Thanks, Niels
Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels B View Post
Is the i7 the fastest/newest/best processor to build a Hackington with??
the i7 2600k is not the fastest or newest, but it's the one that works.
you have to look at the biggest picture --

pair the compatible mobo with the matched processor. Today, it's the JetWay JNAF92-Q67 mobo - but there is a new "Ivy Bridge" Jetway mobo that's expected soon (if not already shipping)...

My build was based on STABLE parts avail on May 28, 2012. Things are going to evolve... if the new Jetway mobo supports ivy bridge and the new UniBeast and MultiBeast support it, it may be worth going there...
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 AM

Just ordered the mobo!!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 AM

Hi Jeremy,

I was looking at similar guides and they talk about running the DSDT fixer and then running Multibeast with User DSDT (at least on 10.6.8..)

Do I need to follow the same here ? Could you please give details at the Multibeast stage ?

Thanks !