Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2011, 10:28 AM

Default Pro Tools MP 9 and Music Production Toolkit (now with verdict)

Hello.

How well does Pro Tools MP 9 and Music Production Toolkit interact? I guess the plug-ins from the toolkit perform OK, but what about the 48 to 64 track increase and the multi track Beat Detective feature? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks.

Best regards
Hook
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools MP 9 and Music Production Toolkit

Bump, Sorry!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 PM

Re-bump
Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 AM

Sorry, I need to re-re-bump this.

The case is if I update to Pro Tools MP 9 and it does not support the 16 extra tracks/voices provided by the MPTK, some of my current sessions can not play in full, because they use more than 48 tracks/voices. Another issue that has come to my attention is that the version 8 license on the iLok is completely overwritten. Hence there is no possibility to revert to earlier versions, unlike e.g. Cubase.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 AM

Just a little X-mas re-bump.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 PM

The short version: It doesn't work.

...and why is that?

After a lot of digging on the avid WEB page, I finally found an article where it is stated that:

1. Music Production Toolkit is not supported on Windows 7.
2. Therefore it is not supported for Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.4 and higher.

Now, "supported" and "working" is two different things, so I decided to install Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.5 and Music Production Toolkit on a laptop with Windows 7 (64-bits). It worked perfectly.

As you may have seen, there are Pro Tools MP 9/M-Audio Fast Track Pro bundles on sale at the moment. For some time, I have needed a mobile solution as an alternative to my ProFire 2626 (which, by the way is in for repair at the moment). The price difference between the "raw" Fast Track Pro and the bundle were $30, so I went for the bundle.

Outcome:

Pro Tools MP 9 does not work with Music Production Toolkit. If MP 9 is on the computer, and you try to install Music Production Toolkit afterwards, it says that it can't find Pro Tools on the computer. If Music Production Toolkit is already on the computer (after uninstalling M-Powered 8), there's simply no interaction between MP 9 and Music Production Toolkit.

Assumption:

There's no logical and/or technical reason why the two products shouldn't work together. The decision is purely political.

Conclusion:

First of all, I'm glad I didn't use $199 on the M-Powered 8 -> MP 9 update and even had to surrender my M-Powered 8 license in the process. I spent a lot of money (at least for my budget) on the Music Production Toolkit. The reward for the further investment in updating to MP 9 is the cancellation of important Music Production Toolkit features.

So avid, I don't know if it means anything to you, but I can not do any more business with you.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 AM

I thought that the Music Production Toolkit ran on Win7 x32, but NOT any x64 system....hmmm....

Thank You for this information, it is VERY relevant to my situation also. Alas I already ordered MP9....so I guess I will just swap HDD when needed.....or stick with Reaper for most stuff....

It looks like the only support for PT is PT users on this forum....that's sad....