Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2009, 06:43 AM

Default New to Pro Tools - Can't record anymore

Hey everyone,

I've finally got my 003 Rack and Pro Tools LE 8 system set up and running!
Now I've just got a few issues that I need help with! Once I know what to do I will be fine

Okay, I want to simply record my guitar. I actually managed to do it the first time round but now it just won't do it anymore for some reason.

I want to play my guitar into my 003 rack, hear it through my headphones, and make sure it records. From what I have been experiencing lately, I can hear the clean guitar sound but when I enable an audio track for recording, the sound of my guitar goes away and no sound goes into pro tools (the volume bar doesn't go up in the mixer). Also, I am unable to use plugins now. I add them to the track but nothing happens.

I don't wanna go into everything that I did and stuff so if you guys could just maybe give me a step-by-step guide on what to do set up a track for recording or something? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for your help and time everyone,
Matt.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:07 AM

Default Re: New to Pro Tools - Can't record anymore

Sounds like you may have accidentally switched to "input only monitoring" or maybe you selected Quick Punch mode? With keyboard focus turned on(the little yellow square, top tight corner of the edit window with the A-Z in it) hitting the K key will toggle input/auto monitoring feature. If you see a "P" on the Record button, you are in Quick Punch mode. Just to recap the standard stuff, you create a mono audio track, select the correct 003 input(on the track), hit the Record Enable button(on the track) and hit the transport RECORD button(look at that button to make sure its in regular record mode. ). I recommend spending some more time with the manual, and then surf your way to DigiTV for some videos, then on the youtube, where you can find lots more in the way of tutorials to help get you going. You'll be making music in no time.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 AM

Arm or hit the record button on the track and arm it in the transport too. make sure youve got the right input channel on where you have youre guitar into, for eg , in the i/o - interface on the mixer it should be either set to 1 or 2 or 3 etc - whichever youre guitar is plugged into in the 003. if the i/0 (interface) isnt set right you wont here nada

www.myspace.com/yanncrusoe
Old 07-20-2009, 11:58 AM

Hey thanks for your replies guys. I think i've finally got it sorted. I looked back at the DVD that came with Pro Tools 8. Pretty useful!

There's just one thing that won't work now... the plugins. I got them working for a bit yesterday but now when I add one to my audio track, I play the guitar and it's just same old clean sound. :S I wanna use that 'Eleven free' plugin that comes with pro tools 8.

The only plugin that really works is Addictive Drums, which is in an Instrument track. :S

thanks,
matt.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:53 PM

So youve added Eleven to the inserts in the mixer?? Its pretty fool proof once its there. The only reason you may not hear it , or itll seem like its not working is if your track isnt armed as mentioned before. try hitting the big red record buttons and see what happens. should work now.
A real good tutor online for Pro Tools is here www.lynda.com

Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 PM

Hey yanncrusoe,

well it's not the full version of Eleven, it's only the free one that comes with Pro Tools 8. It was already there. Yeah I hit the record buttons but all I can hear is the clean guitar sound. None of the plug-ins work anymore for some reason :S When I add them to the audio track, they usually turn grey, but now they turn blue for some reason. Have they been disabled or something?

Thanks mate,
Matt.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM

thats weird. For some reason it sounds like they have been disabled.
Are you using a dedicated HD for audio to record to?
What are the specs of your system?
ie, what version of PT exactly, RAM, O.S
Also make sure its an AUDIO track you are loading Eleven on to. doesnt matter thats its Eleven Free, it should work fine.

If i were you id do a clean uninstall using the disc, then a clean install.
Doesnt take long and most of the time a clean instal fixes stuff miraculously.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Avid

Quote:
but now they turn blue for some reason. Have they been disabled or something?
They've been bypassed. Just hold down the command key and click on the plug-in name in the insert, which will toggle bypass on and off. Or open the plug-in window and click the 'bypass' button so that it's no longer highlighted.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:02 PM

Hey,

yanncrusoe i took your advice and uninstalled pro tools 8 and re-installed it. It worked
Thanks mate

thanks for that too DigiTechSupt, I actually saw the Bypass button lit up on the plug-ins. I remember clicking it and something popping up, it didn't let me unhighlight it! But thanks for that, I'll remember it if it ever happens again :)

It's great how used you become to Pro Tools. I'm really getting the hang of it now! No doubt I'll be back here for more advice though

Matt.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:24 PM

Its pretty cool how we we learn. i learned about the toggle thing on this thread so win win everyone!