Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 01:24 PM

Exclamation Bounce mix - import into new session, bounce again - does this affect quality?

Hi guys,

Is this okay do or will it affect the sound quality of my mix?

My mix is finished so I'm ready to bounce it down to a stereo .wav file. After it has been bounced, I would like to create a new session, import the bounced stereo mix .wav file and make some adjustments (create a new track and add a piece of audio), and then bounce everything from the new session down to a stereo .wav file again. This means I will be bouncing the already bounced mix and new things i have added to a new file.

So basically what i'm asking is am I okay bouncing to a stereo .wav file more than once without affecting the quality of the mix? Will it be just the same quality to bouncing the mix down just once?

Oh and if you're wondering why don't I just make the adjustments in the mix in the first place, then the reason is because it just makes it so much easier for me to have the mix as one file so I can cut it in places where i need to add something else :)

I really hope you guys understand what I'm asking haha

Cheers!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Bounce mix - import into new session, bounce again - does this affect quality?

Just keep your session settings the same and if your recording in 24Bit make sure you don't dither down to 16Bit until your ready to complete the project.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Bounce mix - import into new session, bounce again - does this affect quality?

Okay Cool thanks a lot man :)
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Bounces where nothing has changed, including volume, pan, etc, should be identical. You can test it by importing your mix and making your edits, bouncing down and reimporting. Then spot it to a new track and invert the track. They should cancel to silence except for where edits have changed the file. So if by "adding" you mean adding sections to the arrangement the files should be identical. If you mean adding an additional sound/track to a bounced mix, then no, it gets recomputed and summed so that it will not be identical quality except for the new sound. But this will likely be an inaudible difference with a single bounce. Keep doing it and you'll hear it down the road.