Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2015, 10:37 AM

Default PT 12 - let's make things really complicated....

So, as a PT 11 Native owner, unsure of what the heck the upgrade plans all mean - I thought I'd try the free, "PT First" version of 12 to see whether, on a newly created El Capitan partition, it would play well with my system (Metric Halo ULN-2 and Studio One V3 running like clockwork).

So here's the deal. Limited as the free version is to three (3) projects, stored in the Avid cloud (yes, an oxymoron possibly) I cannot even start ONE project as, the startup window tells me I've exceeded the number of projects allowed, and to go to my dashboard and delete some. Except that there are no projects in the dashboard of course.....oh, and being the free version there's no support (well I guess...) so can I be bothered to write a ticket as a 20 year PT owner/user? I cannot. Well actually, even as a paid PT 11 user I can't easily write a support ticket....

Avid, the sooner you sell PT to a dynamic young company that understands the needs of this community, and can speak plain English that we all understand, the better. Make it clear what these upgrade plans leave you with if you cease to pay, please!

I was sort of hoping for a bit of a renaissance with version 12. Stopped using PT for most projects years ago but keep it up to date for a few clients, and for some abstract composition work. But every time I think, "oh, my old friend Pro Tools would be fun to use" I get kicked back and think, nah, old fashioned, clumsy bloatware run by accountants in electric blue suits with about as much knowledge of music creatives as a Peruvian mule (no offence to Peruvian mules, some of my best friends blah blah...).

Oh well, at least I can keep PT 11 on an external Maverick partitioned drive, for when I'm feeling nostalgic....

So a little rant, a lot of frustration, and a quick delete most likely.....

Answers please on a plain clothed policeman addressed to your nearest Swiss Bank. That's the kind of mood I'm in.

Scardanelli
Old 11-12-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Re: PT 12 - let's make things really complicated....

I like your idea that they should sell Pro Tools to a young and dynamic company. Feels like the dinosaur is getting way to fat, doesn't it. It's all becoming so rigid with Avid.
What DAW's do you use now? I'm using PT for 10 years now. Have worked with Nuendo too. I might make the switch back if no positive change comes from Avid.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:07 PM

Damn! That sucks! Sounds like a disaster! It strange that something like this would have made it through beta testing.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 11-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scardanelli View Post
S...I cannot even start ONE project as, the startup window tells me I've exceeded the number of projects allowed, and to go to my dashboard and delete some. Except that there are no projects in the dashboard of course...
I was able to reproduce this and escalated it to Engineering/IT. They identified the cause of the problem and solved it - I am back into Pro Tools First and am able to create, open, and delete projects.

Please reply if you are still experiencing the issue.