How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-25-2020, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Dark Theme in Pro Tools 2020.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
So is there any place that people are sharing modded files that they've come up with? I haven't really seen any linked in the threads.
There is no place as such; it's all been by private email.

QAPLA!
Old 11-25-2020, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I'll have to look for this Dark Mode hack. It doesn't seem like the actual data is in either the posts cited (251 or 253). I just messed with my display settings a little, which is a damn shame, because everything else on it looks amazing. (LG 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440 over Displayport) I achieved marginal softening of the blue/greens.
The data to make the changes is in posts 227 & 250. The work that's been done is by tmuzik and myself. I tired to multi-quote this response with Tim Nielsen's post but the forum wouldn't let me.

QAPLA!
Old 11-25-2020, 05:04 AM

Yesterday I opened 2020.11 on a late 2015 Retina iMac 27" just to show my friend how ugly the dark mode was, and to me it didn't look as bad as on my non retina iMac 27" 2011. Not sure whats going on...confuzzd..
Old 11-25-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan View Post
Yesterday I opened 2020.11 on a late 2015 Retina iMac 27" just to show my friend how ugly the dark mode was, and to me it didn't look as bad as on my non retina iMac 27" 2011. Not sure whats going on...confuzzd..
My standard questions in these cases is: have you adjusted the saturation & brightness in PT? Have you adjusted the contrast & brightness on your computer monitor? Those can make a HUGE difference.

QAPLA!
Old 11-25-2020, 06:55 AM

I tried many different settings to even out the high contrast mode..sorry dark theme :O A lot of white elements pops out like stars in the sky on a pitch black night...

There's no question this dark mode needs refinement before I can use it.
I don't mind using classic while this gets some polish, the only thing that bothers me is the Avid keeps raising the fee's without delivering the goods. It just feels sloppy.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I tried many different settings to even out the high contrast mode..sorry dark theme :O A lot of white elements pops out like stars in the sky on a pitch black night...

There's no question this dark mode needs refinement before I can use it.
I don't mind using classic while this gets some polish, the only thing that bothers me is the Avid keeps raising the fee's without delivering the goods. It just feels sloppy.
Other than text I don't see a 'lot of white elements'. Please explain exactly what you're referring to if not the text color.

QAPLA!
Old 11-25-2020, 10:09 AM

Its popping so hard all over the place and I haven't taken the time to analyzed whats so annoying. Well its mostly text, right, but those white glowing things is everywhere, * freeze, sends a,b,c,e.. M, S, I, clip names etc :) It's the high contrast thats the problem I guess. You got white and then you got everything else just too dark. Coal n Ash. I don't know what to do.. I'm not a designer, I just can't work with nor like what I see.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Its popping so hard all over the place and I haven't taken the time to analyzed whats so annoying. Well its mostly text, right, but those white glowing things is everywhere, * freeze, sends a,b,c,e.. M, S, I, clip names etc :) It's the high contrast thats the problem I guess. You got white and then you got everything else just too dark. Coal n Ash. I don't know what to do.. I'm not a designer, I just can't work with nor like what I see.
If you use almost anything but white the text will disappear. Red doesn't but you don't want red for everything. I used it in the file hack I made so that when a plugin is disabled it shows red so you can see easily what's disabled. And if you go with a duller white shading towards grey the text will be harder to read.

Dark mode is what's making me update from 2019.6 and make do with the MIDI event list bugs in a different way. Sure there are other things that are updated from 2019.6 like track folders I would have liked to use but passed up on the earlier updates. Have you looked at the mods I made to the file and how things look now? They're in earlier posts by K Roche and I.

Am I saying it's perfect even with the file changes? No. But it's easier to work with than the stock dark mode. Note that I'm talking about working on a Mac so can't speak to the Windows side of things.

QAPLA!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:04 PM

Cool! I'll try to find that edit and try it now! I had a look at the .txt myself and started googling for hexadecimal decimal converter and... gave up :) Sooo many rows of codes...

I'll report back when I've tried it out!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Cool! I'll try to find that edit and try it now! I had a look at the .txt myself and started googling for hexadecimal decimal converter and... gave up :) Sooo many rows of codes...

I'll report back when I've tried it out!
Sussing the hex codes drove me nuts until I figured out how to use the OSX color sync utility set to work with 16 bit to check the colors I wanted. Open that up, set the selector on the lower left to 16 bit and use the three sliders to setup your colors. Then change the numbers in the particular dark mode file line you want to change. You'll actually see four sets of numbers per lien with the fourth being opacity with 65535 being no transparency to whatever layer is below.

QAPLA!