Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2014, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Can't make initial launch of PT 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyrouse View Post
Just kinda shlepped into it from the back door. The computer came first (read budget), then the Universal Audio gear (apollo, 6170, 4-710, basketful of Neumanns and AKG's, etc. ). PT sales data is kinda weak re sys req's, and everything has worked pretty well on Sonar. But PT is definitely a different league. Incidentally the Firewire is a Sonnet w/ TI controller. Expanded Ram and Sata drive will probably be installed next week.
You have a pile of expensive gear some of us here would die for (but apparently a budget computer) but no idea of how PT works and the requirements for it? I'd say that rather than PT sales data being weak it is your research and understanding that's weak. Sonar, depending on the version, is a kiddy system compared to PT. I know - I started on Sonar and left it at Sonar Producer 8.3.1. And as you are finding out PT is a whole 'nother league and like we say it ain't plug and play. Takes some research to use it right along with a properly set up computer system which you don't seem to have. In order to make that analysis we really need that Sandra report.

QAPLA!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 PM

Well "Sandra" is an extremely unwilling gal at best. After about 15 download attempts (who knows why) I finally got ..Sandra along with tons of "free" unrequested and undesired software trash on my home computer, then took that to the studio computer via flash drive. Only to Find that Sandra won't transfer via flash drive. Soooo, after packing the system up (again) and bringing it home to where there really is Wi-Fi access, I downloaded Sandra again..and again. Until it finally took, along with a repeat of more tons of useless, unwanted, "free" software that will no doubt take months to remove off a heretofore clean computer. And I run the Sandra Overview report and get......a clean page. Zip Nothing Nada. Most of the other reports run. But "overview" is a blank, untouched, clean, pristine, virginal page. Everytime. Must have run it 50 times at this point. So....The hardware report runs, all 6 pages of it. And the Comparison Reports run- you know," here's what you buy if you want a REAL hot rod". Which explains why "Sandra" is so free with her charms.
So....
I have spent the last two days manually transcribing (forgot to say that the report output doesn't work either) and then re-entering into a Word doc the six page manual transcriptions of Sandra's most-likely not-needed secrets. But since it is not the prized "overview" report it will no doubt be rejected without scrutiny, I suspect that what is really needed from Sandra has already been submitted, particulary since the problem of Elastic Audio seems to be highly recurring on other new installations and an incorrect file placement seems to be suspect.
Sandra no doubt knows more than she's letting on. But she ain't sayin.
BTW, don't loose sight of the fact that if half of us knew what we were doing, we wouldn't be here. We'd be recording music. (sigh)
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 PM

Forgot to add, the download attempts were made via the recommended provider in the Youtube video.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 PM

Did you let the Sandra hardware report run, the screen is blank until the report completes.

---

We have many many users installing Sandra Lite and able to quickly report problems here, without all these problems and drama, including a lot of folks who do not usually keep their DAW system on the internet. I doubt most even look at the video, the few line instructions are enough.

The other Software included with Sandra lite is all part of the Sandra suite, it's license activated, they seem to think its a good idea to push it to everybody. Just ignore it like hundreds of thousands of other Sandra users do. And the stupid Bing bar, that's crapware from Microsoft Direct X not Sandra directly, don't check the check box to install it. Don't like this Microsoft crap, complain to them, or buy a Mac.

I am assuming your offline update failed because Sandra wanted to update Direct X, which it won't always need to do. It's possible to do that offline manually beforehand offline as well if you really need to.

---

There just comes a point where you should ask yourself if all the hassle involved is just worth wasting your time on. I would suggest you consider...

Returning Pro Tools 11 if you can and purchasing any one of many other very good alternate DAWs. Most of which are just simpler and easier to install and manage than the heavy Pro Tools package.

Try getting help from an expert with Windows and Pro Tools, maybe a friend, or if that is not possible maybe just a Windows expert, ideally somebody willing to quickly learn about Pro Tools installs, read the install doc etc. paying them may be well worth it.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:27 PM

Thought of the return...sold by Vintage King as no return.
It's running now, no hiccups yet, I have started recording trial sessions, mixing, adding plug-ins, etc. will be adding core, memory, and add'l hard drive this week, so I think it is approaching some level of functionality.
I'm into PT now because I was at a decision point w Sonar X1: Upgrade or make the plunge. Universal Audio "qualifies" PT & a couple others, and since I have a gear commitment there they do pretty well at hand-holding especially if they know where the handshaking is supposed to be. Besides our purposes with this is not a home or project studio.
I'll get there, but it won't be tomorrow. My main concern at this point is the Elastic Audio thing that seems to be recurring with other folks as well w same error messages- haven't noticed any fixes on those that point to hardware.
As Far as Sandra goes, No big deal to run the reports- ran all the others to be sure- it is only the Overview that gives up a blank page...natch.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Tried Googling your drive and nothing comes up.
I think it's a Caviar Blue drive. Usually you can drop stuff out of the drive model code like in this case WD500SA should bring up close enough matches. Still, if we only had the report we woudln't have to guess...
Old 01-11-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Well "Sandra" is an extremely unwilling gal at best. After about 15 download attempts (who knows why) I finally got ..Sandra along with tons of "free" unrequested and undesired software trash on my home computer, then took that to the studio computer via flash drive. Only to Find that Sandra won't transfer via flash drive. Soooo, after packing the system up (again) and bringing it home to where there really is Wi-Fi access, I downloaded Sandra again..and again. Until it finally took, along with a repeat of more tons of useless, unwanted, "free" software that will no doubt take months to remove off a heretofore clean computer. And I run the Sandra Overview report and get......a clean page. Zip Nothing Nada. Most of the other reports run. But "overview" is a blank, untouched, clean, pristine, virginal page. Everytime. Must have run it 50 times at this point. So....The hardware report runs, all 6 pages of it. And the Comparison Reports run- you know," here's what you buy if you want a REAL hot rod". Which explains why "Sandra" is so free with her charms.
So....
I have spent the last two days manually transcribing (forgot to say that the report output doesn't work either) and then re-entering into a Word doc the six page manual transcriptions of Sandra's most-likely not-needed secrets. But since it is not the prized "overview" report it will no doubt be rejected without scrutiny, I suspect that what is really needed from Sandra has already been submitted, particulary since the problem of Elastic Audio seems to be highly recurring on other new installations and an incorrect file placement seems to be suspect.
Sandra no doubt knows more than she's letting on. But she ain't sayin.
BTW, don't loose sight of the fact that if half of us knew what we were doing, we wouldn't be here. We'd be recording music. (sigh)
What exactly have you done to download and move over the Sandra .exe file? Even though I use a Mac just for the sake of this thread I downloaded the Sandra.exe file from here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...e-Sandra.shtml

I clicked on the Download button which took me to another page and then clicked on the Softpedia Secure Download (US) button and in about a minute I had a 67.5 meg .exe file. All that then would have to be done is to put that file on a thumb drive and take it to your daw computer, put the thumb drive in a USB port, drag the file to your computer's hard drive, double click the .exe file and it should install. No drama, no extra files, nothing. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. You do NOT install the file on one machine and move that over to another computer which is probably what you did and why you are having self-made problems.

QAPLA!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 AM

I suffer from the burden of having been born ignorant, and struggle to remedy that daily. No doubt most of my problems are self-made, but few from intent.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I suffer from the burden of having been born ignorant, and struggle to remedy that daily. No doubt most of my problems are self-made, but few from intent.
The thing is you have been given enough knowledge here for you to help us but you aren't following it. You have to take your time when doing these things and follow the instructions given if you don't understand things. Granted none of us comes out of the womb knowing everything but when you are given the tools to rectify that by people that know with a little bit of patience it's easy to get things going. I gave you, as well as others have, the tools to do the job that anyone should be able to follow.

QAPLA!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Don't feel bad, we were all newbies back in the day. Now, just take your hat off and follow the instructions -- let us help you