Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM

Default Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
"I was expecting something decent, nothing more, but I was wrong because this is clearly the most inferior DAW I've tried."
This is not the DAW's fault then, but yours. You not knowing how to work with an application doesn't make it bad or weak.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, english is not my lenguage. I'm sorry, I don't use a translator but this is the best I can do to explain myself.
I know that PT is a standard and I think no one can say the opposite. I've never said this.
What I have to say instead is that PT isn't simply different from others diffused DAWs but that it's worst! All is way more complicated, not because it isn't in my habits but because it simply requires more steps for almost everything. For example I've tried ableton and the learn curve was funny, PT is pure frustration.
So, my anger is not only directed to PT but most against all this users that claim it as the most powerful, the fastest etc etc DAW in the market.
I've bought a copy because i want a pc based DAW, based on the reputation I was expecting something decent, nothing more, but I was wrong because this is clearly the most inferior DAW I've tried.
Then you have nothing but yourself to blame and not Avid. You have to recognize PT is not plug and play software and that the learning curve might be a bit steep. Sure it's not simple but then again nothing worthwhile is. So maybe PT requires a few more steps to do something - you just have to learn to suck it up and either learn the system or move to another platform. There's plenty of daw programs that will run on a PC - you might want to look into Digital Performer 8 which runs on a Windows machine.

PT is only the most inferior daw in your mind because you have already made up your mind that it's so. Take a deep breath, get some learning materials, and soldier on with PT - you'll find it's worth the effort.

QAPLA!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
This is not the DAW's fault then, but yours. You not knowing how to work with an application doesn't make it bad or weak.
I don't think so, I have studied how to do the things I want to do in PT... not complicated stuff... this things require a lot of unnecessary steps.
The most frustrating things to me are:
-solo the aux channels (yes I know, you can click here and here, group, ungroup, safe, unsafe and with 3 or more steps than the necessary you're done, and why someone would solo an aux? ridicolous request, right?)
-SELECT MORE THAN ONE NON CONTIGUOUS CLIP IN EDIT WINDOW (UNBELIVABLE)
-comping
-channel preset
-NON CUSTOMIZABLE SHORTCUTS

Also I don't think mine is a subjective statement. Someone with more than 5 years can understand by itself why.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:05 AM

-solo the aux channels (yes I know, you can click here and here, group, ungroup, safe, unsafe and with 3 or more steps than the necessary you're done, and why someone would solo an aux? ridicolous request, right?)
This is really no different than any major console. Using Solo-safe and assigning a source track's output to NONE or to some unused bus solves it for me, although I rarely need this as badly as you seem to.

-SELECT MORE THAN ONE NON CONTIGUOUS CLIP IN EDIT WINDOW (UNBELIVABLE) How often do you NEED this? Is there another DAW that allows this? If there is, then that other DAW is simply a better choice for you, not a "better DAW"

-comping I comp in PT a lot and find it works very well. My only departure from the usual method is; I hit the space bar to stop, click the next playlist solo and hit space bar to start again. This takes all of one second to do, and allows me to always know which playlist I am listening to. I can only imagine if you watched me do it one time, you would see how slick it actually is

-channel preset This is not well-documented, but it absolutely IS available and working in 10. I have entire sets of track presets, all the way up to a complete set of tracks for recording a full drum kit, with all plugins in place, all sends in place, the drum group created, and the high-latency plugins disabled. 3 clicks in the new tracks menu and I am ready to go. Do a search on this as someone made a video showing how to do it on a Mac, and adapting to Windows was not tough at all.

-NON CUSTOMIZABLE SHORTCUTS This is a smart choice IMHO, because, it means that you(me or anybody) can sit down on ANY Pro Tools system, anywhere in the world, and work. Yamaha proved this to be smart by making the first 30 programs on all their digital reverbs(Rev7, Rev5, SPX) non-volatile(IOW, they cannot be over-written), so every engineer could walk up to any Yamaha effect and find the same starting point. If you take the time to learn the shortcuts, they will serve you well.

Having said all this doesn't mean PT is the right choice for you. That's something only you can decide. Logic makes no sense for me, but I don't go to the Logic forums and trash that product. I know it works for many, but not for all(same with Pro Tools). I use Pro Tools because I saw it as the industry standard and because I really like the way it handles audio. If you don't, you have lots of choices

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
-SELECT MORE THAN ONE NON CONTIGUOUS CLIP IN EDIT WINDOW
In addition to albee's answer I have to tell you, that this in fact IS possible via the grabber tool in object-mode.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Yes, english is not my lenguage. I'm sorry, I don't use a translator but this is the best I can do to explain myself.
I know that PT is a standard and I think no one can say the opposite. I've never said this.
What I have to say instead is that PT isn't simply different from others diffused DAWs but that it's worst! All is way more complicated, not because it isn't in my habits but because it simply requires more steps for almost everything. For example I've tried ableton and the learn curve was funny, PT is pure frustration.
So, my anger is not only directed to PT but most against all this users that claim it as the most powerful, the fastest etc etc DAW in the market.
I've bought a copy because i want a pc based DAW, based on the reputation I was expecting something decent, nothing more, but I was wrong because this is clearly the most inferior DAW I've tried.
I'm not one to engage arguments based on taste or opinion - frankly I have no interest in trying to convince u I'm right. You don't like PTs? Fair enough, stop using it and that will solve your problem. By the same token you will never convince me that PTs is not the best DAW on the market today even before 11 comes out. Am I comparing it to other Daws I've used? Yes. Am I trying to convince others to agree w me? No. Do I like asking rhetorical questions to people who don't know what rhetoric is? Maybe.

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:45 PM

My only question is if your not using Pro Tools why are you browsing the DUC?
Seriously, if you tried the product and did not like it and have moved onto another DAW why haven't you moved onto another forum??
i.e. the forum for the DAW your using and try posting to help other users out instead of posting your opinion all over the DUC?
I moved from Cubase years ago but I never go to the forum and bash Cubase.
I guess you have more time on your hands than the rest of us using Pro Tools to make money.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Isn't it funny how, from time to time, you get a Pro Tools hater coming on our forum and trashing the product that we love. Yet you rarely see a PT user doing this on other DAW forums. I've been on most of the DAW forums and gearslutz, I've never seen a PT user trashing another DAW. I'm sure it's happened, but i've never seen it. I never understand the mindset of someone who does this. Even if it's a PT lover doing it I don't get it.

If you like another DAW more than PT, I am truly happy for you. I have no need to waste my life persuading other DAW users that their DAW "sucks". I just assume that most people who put this kind of money down on a product have tried a bunch of them and settled on Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Live, PT or whatever. I tried all of the above and settled on PT. It suits me the best for many many reasons. I simply do not care what other people use. I cant understand why anyone would care what I use. I hope Logic users think that Logic is the best. If they don't, then why are they using it?

It almost feels like religious pilgrimages when someone comes on here bashing PT...lol. "PT is for morons, my DAW is the best. Look at me, my mom didn't hug me enough, I have daddy issues and I'm a mouth-breather!!!" Ok, ok, maybe that last bit was over the top, but you know what I mean.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 PM

So to the OP...that's how it is in PT land. LOL.

I'm off to bash Adobe Audition on the interweb. [/sarcasm]

Chris
Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 PM

lmao great posts. The more I love PT the more some are flabbergasted. I do pledge allegiance to PTs every morning! But don't hate the lover.
I have to admit that I have fun w guys like this because there is no middle ground - their rectifier (lol) only has one setting - 11.

A lot of musicians hate PTs for 3 basic reasons: 1. They can't figure it out w/out studying, practicing, investigating and researching - i.e. reading stuff
2. It takes a substantial commitment financially to set up even a basic PT studio
3. They lack the ability to defer gratification in terms of understanding and implementing the bells and whistles-they want it all and they want it now. Call it production ADHD.

Now: MacPro Tower OS 10.8 - PT2018- MBox Pro - MACKIE preamp for monitoring only - mostly WAVES PIs - a couple of AKG/Shure Mics - MAudio Key49
Up Next: Mac Mini M2, PT 2023.9, Focusrite Solo - I love this set up! It's faster than I could have hoped for.
Then: ProTools 5-ish digi001 on a PC running Windows Millennium
BD (before digital)-from Tascam 8-track to Neve 64 - ran live audio for Club 88 in LA (Decline of Western Civilization) and Stage East in N Hollywood

"...this puts things into perspective...too much ****** perspective..." David St Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel standing over Elvis' grave.