Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Default Is there a difference between AAX Native and AAX 64 bit?

Okay guys I'm a little confused. Most of the plug ins that I use are now transitioned or now in the process of going into AAX. This is great for me since I have a Windows 7 PC 64 bit with PT10 with 32GB of RAM, so I can harness all of it's memory :) I have been a little confused on the whole AAX thing. I understand that AAX is only supported in PT10, and that plug ins that are in AAX can be used both in 10 and 11, while plug ins still in RTAS will only work in 10, which s fine if I just open the session between 10 and 11, depending on what plug ins I'm using.

As for the AAX issue, I have been on Sweetwater's website looking at Komplete 9, Toontrack Products, etc. I noticed some of the products on their website say "AAX Native", while some of the products say "AAX 64 bit" Does that mean that AAX native is meant for 32 bit only? Or does it not matter what they're labeled as, as long as they're AAX. I'm only concerned because I don't want to buy an AAX plug in, and then find out it won't work with my computer. So is there a difference between the two?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Is there a difference between AAX Native and AAX 64 bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
Okay guys I'm a little confused. Most of the plug ins that I use are now transitioned or now in the process of going into AAX. This is great for me since I have a Windows 7 PC 64 bit with PT10 with 32GB of RAM, so I can harness all of it's memory :) I have been a little confused on the whole AAX thing. I understand that AAX is only supported in PT10, and that plug ins that are in AAX can be used both in 10 and 11, while plug ins still in RTAS will only work in 10, which s fine if I just open the session between 10 and 11, depending on what plug ins I'm using.

As for the AAX issue, I have been on Sweetwater's website looking at Komplete 9, Toontrack Products, etc. I noticed some of the products on their website say "AAX Native", while some of the products say "AAX 64 bit" Does that mean that AAX native is meant for 32 bit only? Or does it not matter what they're labeled as, as long as they're AAX. I'm only concerned because I don't want to buy an AAX plug in, and then find out it won't work with my computer. So is there a difference between the two?
You said you're using PT 10? With that version, you can not access 64bit, but 32bit. Also, PT 10 will only access 4gig of RAM. Also, AAX is supported in both PT 10 & 11. AAX-32 bit and RTAS will work in 10, only AAX-64 in 11. I think that's what you meant, but just wanted to be sure. Only with PT-11 can you access the full 64bit and your full system memory.

Also, with Win-7, you must be using Win-7 Pro if you want to access the full 32gig of RAM. With Win-7 Home Premium you can only access up to 16gig of RAM. You didn't specify which version of Win-7. If you're not on Win-7 PRo and want/need access to the full 32gig, then you need to upgrade to Pro.

I'm not sure about the term "Native" and how its being used. I have noticed, though, that most plug-in descriptions will say compatible with PT-11 somewhere in the description and/or specs if they are indeed AAX-64.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
You said you're using PT 10? With that version, you can not access 64bit, but 32bit. Also, PT 10 will only access 4gig of RAM. Also, AAX is supported in both PT 10 & 11. AAX-32 bit and RTAS will work in 10, only AAX-64 in 11. I think that's what you meant, but just wanted to be sure. Only with PT-11 can you access the full 64bit and your full system memory.

Also, with Win-7, you must be using Win-7 Pro if you want to access the full 32gig of RAM. With Win-7 Home Premium you can only access up to 16gig of RAM. You didn't specify which version of Win-7. If you're not on Win-7 PRo and want/need access to the full 32gig, then you need to upgrade to Pro.

I'm not sure about the term "Native" and how its being used. I have noticed, though, that most plug-in descriptions will say compatible with PT-11 somewhere in the description and/or specs if they are indeed AAX-64.
Yeah sorry that's what I meant. The wording of my question even confuses me sorry for that. Using AAX with my 64 bit computer with Pro Tools 11 not 10. But I will have to upgrade windows, though 16GB will be more than enough processing power for me at the moment. So as long as a plug in says "AAX" on it, it should be able to be used in 11, with the 64 bit architecture? Correct me if I'm wrong on that I just wanna be sure.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:33 PM

AAX2 is, if I read this correctly, the official name of 64-bit aax plugins .Just AAX is 32-bit, which do NOT work on PT 11.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
Yeah sorry that's what I meant. The wording of my question even confuses me sorry for that. Using AAX with my 64 bit computer with Pro Tools 11 not 10. But I will have to upgrade windows, though 16GB will be more than enough processing power for me at the moment. So as long as a plug in says "AAX" on it, it should be able to be used in 11, with the 64 bit architecture? Correct me if I'm wrong on that I just wanna be sure.
Not correct. To use AAX plugins with 11, they MUST be 64 bit AAX. The AAX plugins that work with PT10 are 32 bit versions(which do NOT work with PT11). You may have missed this tidbit when 10 was released, but Avid was pretty clear about 10 being a transitional version(the first to use AAX and the last to use RTAS and TDM). PT11, being a fully 64 bit app, requires 64 bit plugins(although, we may have a solution with BLue Cat's multi-band limiter plugin, which can host VST's, when used in a PT11 session). I just bought it but haven't installed yet(too busy for a change).

A little more info-AAX Native plugins use the processing power of the computer, AAX-DSP uses the processing power on the Avid HDX card(so if you don't have an HDX card, you cannot run the DSP version of any AAX plugins).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-24-2013, 06:21 PM

Just to heap on top of what's already been said:

AAX Native simply means it uses the computer for all the processing, instead of a dedicated DSP. However, to confuse matters, native plugins can be either 32 bit or 64 bit and you might not know unless you ask. In order for the plugin to work in PT11, you must insure you're using a 64 bit version.

Chris Conlee
Old 09-24-2013, 11:04 PM

Well, if OP is using PT11, it's all moot, because if it's not AAX2, or AAX 64-bit, or whatever nomenclature is being used, it won't work anyway.

It's all a mess right now anyhow. I don't even bother with version 11 yet, which I have. Not until Native Instruments finally gets on board ffs.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:00 PM

Now in 2015 here's another spin on what "AAX Native" means - to Massey Plugins it seems that "Native" is only for Mac? Very misleading when you buy plugins branded as "AAX 64 Native" only to realise they won't work on Windows.