Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Cannot hear Pan in headphones

Mbox 2 (Factory) and Pro Tools 7...

Newby question... no luck looking it up so far. I have imported four WAV tracks recorded externally in to my new Pro Tools LE 7 session. I set outputs on the WAV tracks to 1-2 (stereo) but no matter what I do I cannot hear the pan in my headphones... in other words it is always centered. Interesting enough, when I pan to the < 0 > position, the sound becomes very faint. I have a Master Fader set up, and can hear everything jsut fine (albeit in Mono) when setting the outputs to 1 or to 2...

This is very perplexing to me... and is probably a result of my inexperience with DAW... always have used external records (like MR8 HD) and never had such a problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

My thanks!
Old 10-12-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Cannot hear Pan in headphones

from your description of the sound becoming soft when panned center, it sounds like a wiring issue. it could be your headphones or a fault with the mbox.

i assume you're plugged into the front output next to the Headphone volume control labeled with a little picture of headphones? make sure your phones are firmly plugged in all the way and if there's a 3.5-6.5mm adapter on the end of the cable, be sure it's properly attached.

what happens if you assign all track outputs to 1 and depress the mono button?

if it goes really quiet, can you try a different set of headphones?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks... I will give that a try and see what happens. Thought I would hook up a pair of monitors tonight as well and see what came through them. I will post when I know...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Thanks... I will give that a try and see what happens. Thought I would hook up a pair of monitors tonight as well and see what came through them. I will post when I know...
Old 10-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Hooked up the monitors... worked fine. So I started checking other signal path items... turned out to be a 1/3 to 1/8 adapter for the headphones... puit a different one on and all was well. Thanks!

John V.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 AM

Of course, I meant 1/4 - 1/8th...