How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2013, 10:37 AM

Default Still no Softube

Rant on.

I had never used Softube but as they ported to AAX-DSP first (at the release of the HDX system), I got them all. For 2 reasons:

A - I craved AAX DSP plugins so I thought I'd check them out
B - to support those who supported my HDX platform

Now they needed to port to 64 bit and 4 months later- nothing. Almost all of my other AAX-DSP plugins are long ported and working well (mcDSP, MH, Wave Arts, Brainworx, Sonnox), it seems Softube dropped the ball on the customers that supported them and helped them grow and develop their Console 1. (which seems to be where their efforts are and not to their loyal client base that helped propel them into a more successful company)

If I did that to my clients who supported me when I was a small company only to ignore them when I grew to the size I am now, I would quickly lose my clients.

Even with their lame promise of 'soon' and end of September, I don't feel it's worth it to go back and forth from 10 to 11 just to use sessions loaded with their plugs. As of now, all have been replaced and I no longer miss them. And I will remember how they ignored their client base to instead develop hardware, plugins for NI and others and ignore their own library.

Fool me once...

Rant off
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Still no Softube

They haven't released it yet because they don't release half-baked software that isn't fully functional. So, the quick fix is to use 10.xxx for now, which is what the vast majority of us are doing. Same story is true of Uaudio powered plugins. And they'll both be worth the wait, I suspect.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM

I've successfully used Trident A-Range and Summit Grand Channel in PT11, through Metaplugin. They worked fine. Consider trying that out - all of Softube's stuff should be compatible, since they all have 64bit versions of VST.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:19 PM

All missing the point.

It's not about half-baked software. It's about putting it in the oven.

As an HDX user I supported them because they developed AAX-DSP versions of their catalogue on day 1. AAX-DSP 32 bit. Now all they had to do was make them 64 bit. They had a lot of time to convert their plugins from 32 bit to 64 bit. It wasn't as if they had to convert from TDM or RTAS. Instead they devoted their resources to new ventures and didn't bother with the existing client base who provided them the funds to move into new ventures. That's bad policy.

I'm sure when they get around to porting 32 bit to 64 bit they'll be baked. I would've expected them to show us more respect.

And yes, I know they work in 10 and with various bridge options. I don't need to perform workarounds for stuff I expected, based on their past performance, to get out of the gate as quickly as their first batch did.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 10-28-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
I don't need to perform workarounds for stuff I expected, based on their past performance, to get out of the gate as quickly as their first batch did.
I hear you, and how you proceed is up to you. But there are working alternatives (in my case the $39 Metaplugin) that are easy to implement if the AAX2 release falls short of your expectations.

I was merely proposing it as a stopgap measure, not as a replacement for a proper AAX2 release.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
Rant on.

I had never used Softube but as they ported to AAX-DSP first (at the release of the HDX system), I got them all. For 2 reasons:

A - I craved AAX DSP plugins so I thought I'd check them out
B - to support those who supported my HDX platform

Now they needed to port to 64 bit and 4 months later- nothing. Almost all of my other AAX-DSP plugins are long ported and working well (mcDSP, MH, Wave Arts, Brainworx, Sonnox), it seems Softube dropped the ball on the customers that supported them and helped them grow and develop their Console 1. (which seems to be where their efforts are and not to their loyal client base that helped propel them into a more successful company)

If I did that to my clients who supported me when I was a small company only to ignore them when I grew to the size I am now, I would quickly lose my clients.

Even with their lame promise of 'soon' and end of September, I don't feel it's worth it to go back and forth from 10 to 11 just to use sessions loaded with their plugs. As of now, all have been replaced and I no longer miss them. And I will remember how they ignored their client base to instead develop hardware, plugins for NI and others and ignore their own library.

Fool me once...

Rant off
The NI plugs they helped with were done long before this was ever an issue.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Yeah, it sucks but it has to be any day now right?

Softube plugins just sound too good for me to boycott, I also have been using metaplugin for them in 11

I do wish they would have done public beta like soundtoys did.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenjb View Post
Yeah, it sucks but it has to be any day now right?

Softube plugins just sound too good for me to boycott, I also have been using metaplugin for them in 11

I do wish they would have done public beta like soundtoys did.
Soundtoys is still Mac only for AAX.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-28-2013, 02:35 PM

Softube... Slate... McDsp Win... Soundtoys Win... I need 'em.

Well, at least I want 'em.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-29-2013, 12:21 AM

I'm pretty ticked off at Softube too. It seems they are trading on previous well earned good will. They are really eroding that good will now with me.