Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-31-2020, 01:42 AM

Default Re: How to tune SPQ card in MTRX Studio

Sorry for a little bit out of topic question but I think still related to the MTRX studio.
Is it possible to EQ with it a passive bi-amped speakers such as JBL 3678?
Does the MTRX can group two physical outputs, apply crossover to them and then EQ it as a single separate channel (e.g Left or Center or Right)?
I am asking it as I had a negative experience in the past with Intonato software which couldn't do so.
I currently use a QSC DCM10D for only crossover functionality.
So I would like to be able to connect to my QSC DCA1644 amps directly from the MTRX.
Also what hardware Monitor controller do you use? I would like to use my D-Command as PT controller and only ditch its monitor section for e.g MOM.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 07-31-2020, 03:08 AM

I don't know much about EQing passive speakers or if you could group those in MTRX. I just explored very small part of testing some eq curves on my LCR.

SPQ is applying filters to it’s outputs and they are seen as mono. You could also bass manage speakers, but about crossovers I wouldn’t know.

I don’t have separate hardware monitor controller (yet). In this thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...64#post2573764 Jeff pointed me to creating solo and mute from fold downs. That is quite easy to do and you can also program those folddowns into Control app. Only downside to this option is that at the moment you can only use 8 fd’s in the app. I made some screenshots of that and there is link to tutorial on creating solos and mutes in DADman.
I believe you can easily use your D-command for monitoring, I guess you can only go to 5.1 or 7.1, and probably go analog from MTRX to Dcommand and then to your amps.

And thanx Michael for sharing your experiences about Intonato on gslutz, it helped me decide not to go with JBL and wait a bit for Mtrxstudio. I got excellent deal on it from a German shop Digitalaudioservice, (Christian).
Old 07-31-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
I believe you can easily use your D-command for monitoring, I guess you can only go to 5.1 or 7.1, and probably go analog from MTRX to Dcommand and then to your amps.

And thanx Michael for sharing your experiences about Intonato on gslutz, it helped me decide not to go with JBL and wait a bit for Mtrxstudio. I got excellent deal on it from a German shop Digitalaudioservice, (Christian).
I would like to ditch my xMon, thats why I said that I won't be able to use it with the D-Command monitor section. I also want to benefit from MTRX pristine converters.
But if the MOM does all the tasks regarding soloing channels, muting and headphone sending level without requiring to use Eucon it would be a solution.
***Eucon cannot be used together with the Icon protocol but I hope that MOM can share Icon one.

Welcome ;-) I think that MTRX Studio is a way-way more than Intonato (even if it worked) in every aspect and for the almost the same price.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 07-31-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
Thank you Frank and Rich.
I downloaded Smaart8 demo and tried it out, but it is very powerful and complex program so I will need to spend some time with it first to get familiar with all the options and possibilities it has.
Just want to be sure that I am doing the measurement properly, but in the first try couldn't figure it out.

Smaart in AudioTools app offer some basic Smaart RTA with single channel module. It is affordable (€54.99) but then it is not possible to install on my old iAudiointerface on iPod touch.
On the newer iPhones and iPads it could work but again microphone is a problem and I can not use old interface as it has 30 pin dock connector. And I tried UMIK-1 with Audiotools on new iPhone and ipad but it doesn't work reliably and StudioSixDigital won't fix this as they sell their own microphones.

I also tried Fuzzmeasure, but their demo is so limited that you can't load microphone calibration and can not make more that two measurements. It is useless demo but app looks very clean and simple, like that.

So far only REW is usable but hopefully will find some more time soon to dive into Smaart8 and get that to work.
Smaart DI2 is enough for that purpose I think. I've never used the iPad apps for this purpose, so can't really say. Most important feature is transfer function and live IR (for time alignment) and after completing the tuning the overall RTA for X-curve and SPL (if you have a calibrator for your measurement mic). You will need 2 channels for the transfer function (ref signal in and out and mic in).

You can definitely use REW it's just very time consuming to re-sweep for every adjustment to see the result. In Smaart you essentially have a live view of everything which is extremely helpful when tweaking speaker positions for optimisation. Always amazing to see how much influence even a computer monitor has when being moved around.