Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-11-2020, 08:18 AM

Default Maybe a dumb question but...

I recently gave my old tdm pro tools HD 10 system to a student of mine minus the license. So we need a hd license for 10 to make it work.

I found a hd 10 native License but I have extreme doubts that it will work with the tdm system. The seller assured me it will work but of corse he would say that.

Anybody here know if an hd native license will work with a tdm system?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Maybe a dumb question but...

There is only 1 way that non-HD software can work and that is illegal You need HD 10 to make it work, but there are usually a few licenses available on the second-hand market. Since sources like eBay can be questionable(like Autotune 9 for $20 from the Russian Federation), check with some of the bigger dealers like Alto Music. I've done lots of business with them and they are a great option, and often have used Avid hardware and software available(and they are a full Avid dealer, so there's nothing questionable going on). One dead giveaway that the seller is less than legit is if they are selling Pro Tools for Mac OR Windows. Genuine software works on Mac AND Windows

Additional thoughts: Sometimes someone will have an iLok with a license, but they can't transfer it, like my friend who's dad passed away and nobody knew the info to log into his iLok account. As long as Pro Tools "sees" a valid license, it will work, and you can also run multiple iLoks from multiple accounts on a single system. A license(with iLok) like that might end up being very affordable, as long as you realize that it will lose resale value exponentially.

You didn't mention whether you gave a computer to go with the old TDM system, so remember that PT 10 software might be incompatible with some OS versions(especially on Mac).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-11-2020, 05:35 PM

Perhaps I didn’t make myself as clear as I thought. I have my student my old tdm system in its entirety. Computer, monitors, audio monitors, 192, TDM HD 3 cards, cabling, everything except the license that I used for ultimate 2019 (now ultimate 2020).

I found a legit HD native license for 10. Will TDM with HD accel 3 cards recognize a HD native license and work?

Does anybody know? I don’t know but I really doubt it. But they are both HD so maybe. Thoughts?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfdaddydog View Post
Perhaps I didn’t make myself as clear as I thought. I have my student my old tdm system in its entirety. Computer, monitors, audio monitors, 192, TDM HD 3 cards, cabling, everything except the license that I used for ultimate 2019 (now ultimate 2020).

I found a legit HD native license for 10. Will TDM with HD accel 3 cards recognize a HD native license and work?

Does anybody know? I don’t know but I really doubt it. But they are both HD so maybe. Thoughts?
If it’s a legitimate HD license then it will work. You are getting yourself all confused about naming. There was never a HD “TDM” license or a HD “Native” license. There is only a HD license and now an Ultimate license. If you have a Pro Tools 10 HD license it will work with suitable TDM hardware, HD Native hardware, or HDX Hardware.

Many “Pro Tools 10 HD” licenses sold on-line are cracked, illegitimate licenses. Please be careful to not encourage people, especially students to do that. You want a license transferred with Avid’s consent/official transfer of license.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:19 PM

It is a legit license. I don’t support piracy.