Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2016, 07:48 PM

Default Re: S6 v 2.1 and plug in windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
My apologies if you already know this but you do know that if you hit the Exp (Expand) button on the Process Module it spills all the plug in parameters across the associated knob module?

I think custom plug in mapping is already on the devlopment roadmap?

Most plug-ins are more easily editable spread across a knob module rather than the touch screen IMO.

That said, there are major inconsistencies in the way the way third party plug-ins are mapped. McDSP seem to be doing a good job of mapping parameters according to Avid's default layout across a knob module. Many others haven't.

Waves for example are getting it wrong. If you Expand some Waves plug-ins with the Dyn button on the Process Module, you get a different set off parametersthan if you Expand them from the Insert button. Both have missing parameters. I'm assuming this is Waves screwing up and not Avid.
Thanks Marsdy, yes I know and I tend to use expand mode for that reason, particularly for EQ. Some of the VI''s though have hundreds of parameters when all I really want to access is the 8 smart knobs, which are buried several layers deep in cryptic parameter names........ so yes custom mapping for both the touch screen and the knob modules would be great! :)

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 07-29-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
I totally agree. We are looking at a way to benefit all surfaces not just S6.
Thanks Eddie!

While you are at it, having the ability to display the plugin GUI on the touchscreen, with tap to assign onscreen parameters to knobs would be my ultimate plugin workflow!

Old 07-30-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
Thanks Marsdy, yes I know and I tend to use expand mode for that reason, particularly for EQ. Some of the VI''s though have hundreds of parameters when all I really want to access is the 8 smart knobs, which are buried several layers deep in cryptic parameter names........ so yes custom mapping for both the touch screen and the knob modules would be great! :)
I think the only VI company that has mapped their instruments is Air. The rest as you say just populate the knobs with generic gibberish. Same with my old C24. As far as I know, Air is the only company ever to do ANY plug-in mapping.

...And Air hasn't don't a very good job on the S6. (Must get on to them about this.)

That said, I think we may be on to a losing battle here. I bought my S6 from Scrub/HHB here in the the UK. Out of 50 units sold at the time I was the first composer/musician to buy one. I think Eddie mentioned I was only the second person to request a MIDI controller mode for the faders out of 1000 users.

And to put an even bigger downer on your post. The S6 touchscreen is too small to display editable plug-ins. Sorry man!

So.... How about an accompanying S6 iPad app that displays open plug-ins for editing? Please Eddie
Old 07-30-2016, 05:50 AM

Accompanying iPad app is actually a great idea! I know it might never happen and it is surely very hard to do it right, but I'd love it.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:52 AM

Also if we are at this topic. When you edit dyn parameters on the touch module with the knobs on each side, you can see the reduction curve on the screen, but without any indication on how much you compress. It'd be very nice to have a real scale to know that I compress 3dB for example.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I think the only VI company that has mapped their instruments is Air. The rest as you say just populate the knobs with generic gibberish. Same with my old C24. As far as I know, Air is the only company ever to do ANY plug-in mapping.

...And Air hasn't don't a very good job on the S6. (Must get on to them about this.)

That said, I think we may be on to a losing battle here. I bought my S6 from Scrub/HHB here in the the UK. Out of 50 units sold at the time I was the first composer/musician to buy one. I think Eddie mentioned I was only the second person to request a MIDI controller mode for the faders out of 1000 users.

And to put an even bigger downer on your post. The S6 touchscreen is too small to display editable plug-ins. Sorry man!

So.... How about an accompanying S6 iPad app that displays open plug-ins for editing? Please Eddie
If the touchscreen is too small to display the plugin GUI, then how about a "learn mode" where you mouse click a plugin parameter in the plugin GUI in Protools and then tap to assign to the knob on the S6?

I hear you about being the only composer / muso on S6 Marsdy, I'm not sure but I think I may be the only one in Oz, as far as I know the rest seem to be post production. But I could be wrong. I do know that mine was the first S6 sold in Australia though. :)

Old 07-30-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
If the touchscreen is too small to display the plugin GUI, then how about a "learn mode" where you mouse click a plugin parameter in the plugin GUI in Protools and then tap to assign to the knob on the S6?

I hear you about being the only composer / muso on S6 Marsdy, I'm not sure but I think I may be the only one in Oz, as far as I know the rest seem to be post production. But I could be wrong. I do know that mine was the first S6 sold in Australia though. :)
Yeah that would work. Nice idea.

Also, most VIs have a MIDI CC# learn mode per parameter. I suggested a MIDI controller mode for the Fader Module but Eddie said I was only the 2nd person to ask for it out of 1000 installations!
Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 AM

Yes,
This more or less describes what I have been doing.

I will look into v.2.2

Thank you,

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings. This may be a known bug in v2.1 - I will have to look. You are accessing Inserts from the channelstrip (by pressing Inserts on the Process module) yes? If you press Back (arrow pointing left) or simply Press the Inserts button on the Process module again to exit parameters mode and jump back to the inserts list showing signal flow it should close the plug-in UI. When you press an encoder to dive back into the selected Insert (and show params) this doesn't open the plug-in interface? Obviously make sure Open and Close plug-ins is ticked under Setting (User). Let me know. Thanks.

Jeff
Denver, CO
Old 08-01-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings. This may be a known bug in v2.1 - I will have to look. You are accessing Inserts from the channelstrip (by pressing Inserts on the Process module) yes? If you press Back (arrow pointing left) or simply Press the Inserts button on the Process module again to exit parameters mode and jump back to the inserts list showing signal flow it should close the plug-in UI. When you press an encoder to dive back into the selected Insert (and show params) this doesn't open the plug-in interface? Obviously make sure Open and Close plug-ins is ticked under Setting (User). Let me know. Thanks.

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Yes,
This more or less describes what I have been doing.

I will look into v.2.2

Thank you,

Randall
This is working fine for me in v2.2

Jeff. I'm not sure what you mean by "pressing Back (arrow pointing left)"? Do you mean the back arrow on the Knob Module? That doesn't appear to do anything when you hit the Inserts button on the Process module unless you actually enter parameter mode for a plug-in in which case the arrow buttons page back and forth between parameter pages. Maybe this changed in v2.2? I'm backing out of parameter mode on the knob module by pressing the Inserts button again and that closes the plug-in window.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Avid

Yes, exactly. I was asking if after he dived down into parameters mode (by pressing the encoder for the desired insert to display) did the plug-in window open (which it should) and close after Back was pressed which returns the user back to the Top level signal flow of Inserts.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ