Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2003, 10:18 PM

Default PT Custom Keyboard - Eject?

OK, I guess - maybe that I deserve this for paying over $200 for a computer keyboard (especially since keyboards for a PC have been readily available at any computer store in america for about $9 for the past 10 years), but does anyone have a solution for the lack of an eject button on the Pro Tool Custom Keyboard?

A search on the answerbase suggests a few downloadable shareware solutions.

Ironically, all the solutions available only work on OS9 and below.

The digistore plainly states (at least it states it now, as of 08/30/2003) that they keyboard is:
"For use with Pro Tools TDM and LE systems running Pro Tools 6.1 or higher."

My dealer wants to charge me $45 to return it as a restocking fee. Ironically, that is about what the keyboard should retail for anyways (If that - it is a nightmare to actually type on as it lacks the raised dots that most any other keyboard has on the home row)

I have over $30 grand invested in my PT system not counting any computers.
I really like digi's products, but this is ridicuolous - especially since Apple has been putting the eject button (and volume controls) on the keyboard for how long now?

Any clever Unix programers out there with a fix?
Digi?

I just bought this thing a month ago. I would not have never dreamed it did not operate as a complete replacement for my apple keyboard. Sorry to vent or bash, but again - this is ridiculous and unacceptable. I have to keep a $59 apple keyboard attached as a USB dongle just to eject the CD drive. I won't even start with the inconsistensies that occur when you attach two USB keyboards to one computer (not to mention, the apple only has two USB ports on it. Add to that the numerous iLocks that I have to have because there is no way to transfer all of them to one key and I have a mell of a hess on my hands with flaky USB performance and hubs which only help amplify the troubles.

It is one thing to have a software problem that is a real pain to work out because you are dealing with a relatively new OS, but this is hardware that is missing a key! This thing should have never left the factory. Not even two years ago!
Old 08-30-2003, 10:34 PM

Default Re: PT Custom Keyboard - Eject?

I don't know of any software solutions, but you could pick up something like the Griffin Power Mate, and setup the button feature to eject the CD drive. It'll cost you about the same as your restocking fee though.

Have you tried F12? This works on some older powerbooks that don't have the eject key, maybe it works for powermacs too.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:44 PM

If you have a keyboard without an eject key, press F12 (under Mac OS X 10.1 and later).
Note: You must press the F12 key longer than 2 seconds to prevent the tray from accidentally opening.
If you have an MDD with two optical drives, then hold down option-F12 for 2 seconds or longer for the lower drive.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:37 AM

F12!
Great. Thanks a lot guys.
For some reason, I did not know that one.
That really should be added to the Digidesign Answerbase, or added as an addendum to the manual that comes with the keyboard?
OK, now I guess a keyboard shortcut for volume control is out of the question?
Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:20 AM

tvent

Just a word here. If you spent 30k on your stuff your dealer-rep ought to eat any 'restocking' fee. I live in LA. if you want an Exceptional sales rep email me.

ps - i have wrestled with the same silly decision about this digi keyboard and still haven't found the moral justification to purchase the thing... I have friends who love it. I would like one. But I do wish Digi would justify its price to us. (keep dreaming, i know. I have ranted about this keyboard for YEARS, now )

My conclusion is this: That keyboard is reresentative of the evil greedy-son of Digi. Then there is the 'good' son who posts on the duc. who inform and help the end user. The many brilliant software and hardware engineers who bring this incredible product to life. It's all Just like life..... may the 'good' son win.