Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Tweaking XP For 002R

Hey guys..
i need to tweak XP for my machine.. does anyone have any information about what XP NEEDS to run?
When i look in System configuration utilaty.. i have about 16 prosesses running.. which is good..
but there seems to be lots of other crap still running.. stuff that doesnt seem to be needed..
i could just disbale them all but im sure this would screw up the system..
what IS needed?

cheers people..
Old 07-10-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Tweaking XP For 002R

Go here, www.MusicXP.net, they have a lot of good tweaking tips at this site. They will show you how to get into your Services page so you can stop/disable all those other things that run in the background that you don't need.
If you do disable something you really do need, there is a way to do a repair to your Windows XP install if you got the MS Windows XP Home or Pro Disc with your computer. The details of how to do this can be found at www.worldstart.com look in their Tips Section, search for the 'Windows XP Repair Install' tip.
I have used this method twice (once on my DAW and once on this machine here) in the past, it is not a fresh install but fixs the XP install to run like it did when you first installed it (which means you'll have to go get the updates again, too) but it leaves all else 'as is' and just fixes what is broken in XP ... but really, IT WORKS! ... saved me a ton of time ... so, go to worldstart, print out the instructions and keep 'em around for just in case.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:02 PM

MusicXP.net is excellent, but rather than using the repair facility of XP, just use Norton Ghost before you do the tweaks, install or uninstall software or basically do anything to your computer that you will regret if it doesn't work. Ghost is the tinkerers best friend

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-11-2005, 05:11 PM

I agree with The Weed on this one. Always good to have a system backup image before you start tweaking even though musicxp.net is awesome for setting things up. Goodluck
Old 07-13-2005, 04:45 PM

Personally, I think back-ups are an excellent idea, and if you don't do 'em before you go and try something you don't have a lot of experience with is foolish at best, SO, Always back up before tweaking ... always, Always, great advice.
I have never used Norton Ghost, but it is highly recommended by digidesign and have read many a "Boy, has Ghost saved me this time, again!" stories. So If you can get it, also a great idea, but check out the XP repair instructions, it has saved me and a few of my friends butts after I showed it to them, and as I said, It has helped me with both my DAW and my Net machine. Just a suggestion, and I wish www.blackviper.com site was still up, I thought He had one of the best for explaining some of the ins and outs of XP services.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:38 PM

black viper got taken down?? man, that was one of the best sites in a long time for XP stuff... hadn't needed to ref. it for a while... *shrugs*
Old 07-14-2005, 04:18 PM

Yeah ... I just keep getting 'This site is under construction' ... Good site, hope he comes back.