Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
What is really exciting about this promotion is that when you look at what it costs to build a native workstation that delivers the track count and high quality I/O included in the HD exchange, their total costs are in the same ballpark.
I understand this as a reference to the Apogee Symphony/Maestro + AD16X and DA16X plus Logic price. This is the competitor Digi is focused on it seems.

But Apogee is just another annoying vendor insisting you use some proprietary digital protocol that locks you into their hardware. A more effective comparison would be the open standard MADI-based RME and SSL interfaces whose total system costs are about half what the proprietaries think they can still get. And the high-end post industry has moved into MADI in a big way already. No one should let a single vendor dictate to them what they can and cannot work with, or rely on unauthorized reverse engineered adapter cards.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 AM

Well Tony, I'm not here to be part of the reason that you may not sell a ton of new HD rigs, so I'm going to stop for now. I care about the survival of Avid and encourage all who have the spare cash lying around to spend it with you.

Please though, if that happens, invest in the future, develop and then deliver an un-crippled full-featured Native system, I/O and all. Then put a price tag on it that will keep you happy and fat.

Peace

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
What is really exciting about this promotion is that when you look at what it costs to build a native workstation that delivers the track count and high quality I/O included in the HD exchange, their total costs are in the same ballpark.

Much respect,
Tony
Tony, With all due respect.. isn't your statement true only because Digidesign PRICES it that way?

You certainly could offer things such as increased track count, ADC, etc.. for less than you do now.. yet you have chosen to retain, ( some would argue), outlandish pricing on your upgrades.

Just askin....
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM

This idea that HD retains the highest and most demanding standards of audio engineers and people who rely on them for business is hard to hear. A $15000 HD system with a fancy MAC should really run pretty seamlessly, like a microwave. A recent HD upgrade to 8 that I know of was a mess. All the discussion on Digi about not testing every possible configuration should be out the window when it comes to flagship HD systems on a MAC. Barring hardware failures, for 15k that thing should run like an appliance,and i think that is fair.

To take that point further, I'd like to know if anyone here has spent comparable dollars on a native system with good i/o and can validate the previous statement made on there being comparable costs with comparable track count. I am having a hard time seeing a native system costing anywhere near an HD system at most levels, with comparable bells and whistles. Maybe this is due to inexperience, so I hope someone will correct me if this isn't accurate.

Now that I've invested in an i7 for less than a thousand and less than 8 hours of testing and minimal messing with latency and other stuff, I'm really not considering HD where I once was and don't think I will be. Of course, I'm not scoring movies and such and maybe that is or will become HD's niche.

I feel pretty strongly that businesses must acknowledge the customers needs and demands and place them ahead of everything else. I read a book that the other day said that success changes the very conditions that led to it, and this is especially true with technology companies. I have been worried about Digi for a little while now.

I know we can get demanding and out of hand on this forum, but Digi must acknowledge that the users dictate the terms of the market, not the company. Just because ProTools is a big standard right now doesn't mean the company and its products aren't susceptible to major changes in the market. While Digi is toiling away right now, likely developing something smart for w7 (yay!!) and catching up on ADC (we hope anyhow) the competition is releasing other innovative products that meet needs in a highly creative way.

I'm rooting for Digi as I really love the platform and logical way it works. I just hope more users don't jump ship and force me to consider other platforms just to be able to communicate sessions back and forth.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Hi Kev,

I don't think I understand your comment. If you make a living as a Pro Tools engineer, then doesn't the system have value for you?
Well Thanks Tony,

All I am saying is that for the most part PT seems to be more like a brand than a results oriented system. I only say this because PT out of the box does not have a point by point capability index that can defeat other Pro-sumer DAWS on the market.

Indeed if someone derives a result that enables an income earning potential then I guess that is a great oppurtunity.

However the average user of PTLE is more or less trying to create a result that enables a financial oppurtunity which may drive economic value, in otherwords: "the earning a living" scario is being sought after, rather than being sustained.

Regards,
Kev
Old 10-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Tony,

I just wanted too say thank you to you and Avid for coming here to engage in conversation. We feel all to often that Avid moves without regard to needs of its own customer base.

Hopefully this is signaling the beginning of the end of Avid turning a blind eye to our critical needs (ADC, 64bit and RTAS issues) that year after year go completely ignored.

Again, Thanks.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Tony,

I just wanted too say thank you to you and Avid for coming here to engage in conversation. We feel all to often that Avid moves without regard to needs of its own customer base.

Hopefully this is signaling the beginning of the end of Avid turning a blind eye to our critical needs (ADC, 64bit and RTAS issues) that year after year go completely ignored.

Again, Thanks.
Hi Tom,

One of the most important things we can do to ensure our success (yours and ours) is to listen to you, the customer. We understand that participating in conversations like this is essential for heading in the right direction and it is only possible because of your involvement.

Thank you for your support through the years. We are looking forward many many more.

Tony
Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Hi Tom,

One of the most important things we can do to ensure our success (yours and ours) is to listen to you, the customer. We understand that participating in conversations like this is essential for heading in the right direction and it is only possible because of your involvement.

Thank you for your support through the years. We are looking forward many many more.

Tony
A hopeful

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-20-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Hi Tom,

Tony
No comment then???

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Tony, With all due respect.. isn't your statement true only because Digidesign PRICES it that way?
It seems to me, and quite a few other from what I gather, that the above statement is fact, and that it is so to keep HD afloat for a while longer.

I did not ask that to pick a fight with you or Digi, it's a fair question and your answer will say a lot about what we as Native users should expect to come from Digi. So will not answering I suppose.

Thanks for reading nonetheless.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No comment then???

It seems to me, and quite a few other from what I gather, that the above statement is fact, and that it is so to keep HD afloat for a while longer.

I did not ask that to pick a fight with you or Digi, it's a fair question and your answer will say a lot about what we as Native users should expect to come from Digi. So will not answering I suppose.

Thanks for reading nonetheless.
Hi danander11,

Thank you for your comments and for your patience. Sometimes I cannot be as prompt in my responses as I'd like but as I've said before, we are here to listen and participate in this discussion.

We priced the LE to HD exchange at the most competitive levels possible in order to make Pro Tools|HD as accessible as possible to LE owners. These prices are in line with other native workstations that offer similar quality and track count. I would like to know why you think that the prices are "outlandish". And while I cannot comment on product development I can assure you that Avid Digidesign is listening to the comments on this and other threads throughout the DUC.

If I have not answered your question please let me know.

Tony