Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2016, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Using a thunderbolt chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyseanbell View Post
I think there must be some mistake. We just bought this computer brand new about four months ago. And I can assure you that PT12 most definitely runs on it!
Can you post a Sandra report? Check the instructions at the bottom of this page. Either you bought a computer that was built 6 years ago, or you have a different motherboard.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:37 PM

That was an ordeal! I had to use filehippo, because the SiSoftware site didn't actually have a download link. I think they must have been doing maintenance or something. And I had to take a screenshot of the report, because the "save" option was greyed out.

Anyway, here's the screenshot. I hope the visible part contains the pertinent information.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:48 PM

The motherboard is an Asus B85M-G. It is NOT compatible with the thunderbolt card. Besides, you only have one PCIe slot that would even fit the card (if it were compatible) and that slot is currently occupied by your video card.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B85MG/

P.S. you can click the "copy" button in that window (second from the right, on the bottom) and paste as text in a DUC comment.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:32 PM

That report also shows mis-matched RAM and a single hard drive with 4 partitions. These are all bad things for a Pro Tools machine. I would pull the 4GB stick of RAM and replace with another Micron stick of the exact same model and size. I also would never partition a drive 4 ways. 2 ways, sure. But 4 ways is a performance killer(maybe not for an SSD, but still) What is the purpose of the 4 partitions?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-09-2016, 02:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. I talked to the guy who had the computer built for us, and we actually do have a free PCIe slot.

At any rate, we can remove that video card, but we still need to know what thunderbolt card to buy. Please let me know!
Old 02-09-2016, 03:28 PM

Not all PCIe slots are created equal.

Your motherboard has two PCIe x1 slots and one PCIe x16 slot. The Asus thunderbolt card requires a PCIe x4 or higher. Your single PCIe x16 slot is occupied by the video card. This means that in addition to being incompatible with your motherboard, the card wouldn't even physically fit with your current configuration.

I don't think there's a thunderbolt card that is compatible with your mobo.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyseanbell View Post
Thanks for your reply. I talked to the guy who had the computer built for us, and we actually do have a free PCIe slot.

At any rate, we can remove that video card, but we still need to know what thunderbolt card to buy. Please let me know!
Seriously is this is still going on? Again, your system is not Thunderbolt compatible. And again, you cannot just stick a thunderbolt adapter into any old system. This should be a very brief conversation. Can this computer be upgraded to Thunderbolt? No. Conversation over. If the person when built this computer for you can't answer that question and you are really so bravely wanting to head off into the unexplored wilderness of Thunderbolt on Windows, then you really need to find somebody else to get advice from.

I'm not sure why this thread is still running, the whole HDX on PCIe Thunderbolt chassis on Windows (to hopefully be able to support end-users on HDX on PCIe native on Windows) is all a likely waste of time exercise, and you certainly have a computer that cannot do what you seem to want to do. Just stop wasting time and stick a HDX card in a (proper spec) PC.