Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Default ProTools 8, Windows 7, Blue Screen

I've been trying to install Pro Tools 8 on Windows 7, and I've encountered the BSOD. I run the Pro Tools 8 disc in compatibility mode as a admin.. I don't connect the hardware at all through the installation, and it installs perfectly. It asks me to reboot, and than upon reboot it gives me BSOD. It something like this..
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...irqlnotle.jpg/

I've tried solutions like:
-Turning on the essentials of the DEP
-Uninstalling IE 8
-Connecting the Hardware during installation
-Uninstalling, and Installing Pro Tools 8

I actually got Pro Tools 8 to run on my buddies laptop, first try. But for some reason it wont install on my desktop the same way I did on my buddies laptop. Also, there is no IEEE 1394 driver in my device manager from the start, so I don't know whats going on with that. And as of right now, I updated all my drivers. I know people have suggested its a driver issue, could it be possibly my computer is conflicting with Pro Tools drivers? And If disable the stock sound card, than wouldn't that mean I cant use it? I'm running out of options and its really fustrating paying for a program that wont work. Basically, how would I even get to 8.05, if I can't even install Pro Tools 8? The funny thing is, it works in safe mode

SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : Dell Inspiron 580
Workgroup : WORKGROUP
Host Name : PC-13145
User : dxdotson

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz
Speed : 3.19GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 2 Unit(s)
Type : Dual-Core
Integrated Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
L2 Cache : 2x 256kB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing
L3 Cache : 4MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 16-way, Exclusive, 64 byte line size, 16 threads sharing

Computer
Mainboard : Dell 0C2KJT
BIOS : Dell A06 07/06/2010
Bus(es) : X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
Total Memory : 3.8GB DIMM DDR3

Chipset
Model : Dell Core (Arrandale) DRAM Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 133MHz
Total Memory : 4GB DIMM DDR3
Shared Memory : 34MB
Channels : 2
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 665MHz (1.33GHz)

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Kingston KTW149-ELD 1GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)
Memory Module : Kingston KTW149-ELD 1GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-34-10-5)

Video System
Video Adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics (12 SM4.0 733MHz, 66MB DDR3 1.33GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
Seagate ST3500418AS (500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache) : 466GB (C:)
Generic-SD/MMC (USB2) : N/A (E:)
Generic-Compact Flash (USB2) : N/A (F:)
Generic-SM/xD-Picture (USB2) : N/A (G:)
Generic-MS/MS-Pro (USB2) : N/A (H:)
HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GH50N (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
RECOVERY : 13GB (NTFS)
OS (C:) : 453GB (NTFS) @ Seagate ST3500418AS (500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
Removable Drive (E:) : N/A @ Generic-SD/MMC (USB2)
Removable Drive (F:) : N/A @ Generic-Compact Flash (USB2)
Removable Drive (G:) : N/A @ Generic-SM/xD-Picture (USB2)
Removable Drive (H:) : N/A @ Generic-MS/MS-Pro (USB2)
Hard Disk (Q:) : N/A
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GH50N (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Dell H57 LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : T2 87-21
Audio Device : Dell P55/PM55/3400 High Definition Audio
Disk Controller : Dell P55/PM55/3400 4 port SATA IDE Controller
USB Controller 1 : Dell P55/PM55/3400 USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : Dell P55/PM55/3400 USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Peripherals

Network Services
Network Adapter : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : DW1525 (802.11n) WLAN PCIe Card (802.11n (HT), AES-CCMP, 130Mbps)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x64

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 4.9

Thankyou!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Re: ProTools 8, Windows 7, Blue Screen

You need 8.0.4 or later to run on Windows 7 64 bit. After that, I see issues with the computer.
i3 cpu-a budget processor where you need power(Not sure if this matters though).
Integrated graphics-often a show-stopper for Pro Tools
Wireless needs to be disabled when running PT(disable the network card as well, until you get PT working).
Run the install as admin(I know you mentioned it, but others may be suffering with similar problems, so please forgive the redundancy). Before you install, you should perform ALL the required system tweaks.
I assume its a USB interface(since I see no firewire) so try another port(USUALLY, the ports nearest the keyboard/mouse ports are preferred, but not always). If you are running a firewire interface(002/003 or Mbox PRO), then the firewire needs to be sorted, or you may never have success. If you DO get it to work, you still need another drive for recording(2 drives is dead minimum, 3 is better(but tough to do on a laptop). Plus don't neglect backups too).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You need 8.0.4 or later to run on Windows 7 64 bit. After that, I see issues with the computer.
i3 cpu-a budget processor where you need power(Not sure if this matters though).
Integrated graphics-often a show-stopper for Pro Tools
Wireless needs to be disabled when running PT(disable the network card as well, until you get PT working).
Run the install as admin(I know you mentioned it, but others may be suffering with similar problems, so please forgive the redundancy). Before you install, you should perform ALL the required system tweaks.
I assume its a USB interface(since I see no firewire) so try another port(USUALLY, the ports nearest the keyboard/mouse ports are preferred, but not always). If you are running a firewire interface(002/003 or Mbox PRO), then the firewire needs to be sorted, or you may never have success. If you DO get it to work, you still need another drive for recording(2 drives is dead minimum, 3 is better(but tough to do on a laptop). Plus don't neglect backups too).
What does the network card have to do with Pro Tools? I run the installer as admin, and found out that the culprit is... when I install the Digidesign CoreAudio Driver 8.0. I'm guessing my computer doesn't like that driver, and gives me the blue screen. The question is how do I make it so my computer will install the Digidesign CoreAudio Driver 8.0 correctly, and my system will reboot fine? Ill try disabling both my network and my sound card(Realtek High Definition Audio). But ill need to enable the Realtek High Definition Audio after, and wont that make the promblem occur again after all is said and done?..
Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 PM

Why are you concerned with installing the CoreAudio driver? That's for Mac/OS X, not Windows.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Why are you concerned with installing the CoreAudio driver? That's for Mac/OS X, not Windows.

Cheers,
Hmm, I honestly forget what the drivers called. All I know is that the my computer doesn't like the Digidesign Hardware Driver that the disc installs. That's basically whats causing the problem, I need to figure out how to make it so the Hardware driver Pro Tools 8 installs doesn't conflict with my system. Based on my specs, what is the driver conflicting with and what are the steps to fix it?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 AM

The reference to the network is because having a working network constantly taps the cpu for info. Disabling it until you have a smooth working system is simply a part of troubleshooting. Once the system is working fine, then you can start turning things back on to see if anything causes problems.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The reference to the network is because having a working network constantly taps the cpu for info. Disabling it until you have a smooth working system is simply a part of troubleshooting. Once the system is working fine, then you can start turning things back on to see if anything causes problems.
Alright, thank you so much! Umm so I figured out the difference between my buddies laptop and mine. He has the convenant hd soundcard, as I have the Realtek High Definition sound card. Thats really the only difference besides his laptop being a Tosihba and mine is more powerful. I actually got the Mbox 1 to run on windows 7 on his. Ill try disabling things to find the promblem, but its really the hardware driver the disc installs. I don't think ill get it working cause if it is conflicting with my stock soundcard then I don't have money to buy another. I don't know what else to really try. Avid's incompatibility with the whole Windows 7 issue is annoying( disregrading 8.04+).
Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 PM

"I actually got the Mbox 1 to run on windows 7 on his."

Good luck with that. The Mbox 1 was EOSS at 8.0.1 and Windows 7 requires at least 8.0.4.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-24-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
"I actually got the Mbox 1 to run on windows 7 on his."

Good luck with that. The Mbox 1 was EOSS at 8.0.1 and Windows 7 requires at least 8.0.4.

Cheers,
I have the Mbox 2 and 1. I just wanted to see if I could get the Mbox 1 to install on a Windows 7 machine that isnt supported and it worked to my suprise. I'm just trying to figure out whats causing the promblem on MY computer, its starting to really annoy me now. You'd think I'd be able to automatically go to 8.04 to solve the problem, but I have to start with Pro Tools 8. If I don't figure it out than, im assuming I might need to reinstall Windows 7 and maybe get a new computer or drivers.

EDIT!: Pro Tools is officially working on my Windows 7 machine. Updating the wireless adapter solved the problem, and I'm recording right now! Thanks for the help ablee1952, your the man :)
Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 AM

In case someone comes across this thread, I just wanted to tell everyone how I solved this problem.

I recently came across the BSOD on Windows 7 32 bit on my students computer. I realize that dxdotson had Windows 7 64 bit, but it might solve the problem for those systems as well.

Anyway, this is what I did.

Firstly you'll need the update to 8.0.5 to follow this.

01. I made sure that all the Digidesign related software was removed from the system. In other words, uninstalled Pro Tools and all the audio drivers.

02. Then I did the restart that they normally ask for.

03. After that I reinstalled Pro Tools LE 8. Right after the setup started installing the drivers for the MBox 2 Mini, the system gave me a BSOD. In other words the installation never finished.

04. After the BSOD, I restarted the Pro Tools installation. This time though I didn't connect his MBox 2 Mini. So when the setup tells you that you need to connect the audio hardware, just click OK but DO NOT connect the audio hardware. The installation will then finish.

05. After the restart I tried to open Pro Tools but it freezes on DAE loaded. So I restarted again and then I started the 8.0.5 update.

06. The update did a restart before the setup could continue. After the restart, the setup continues automatically. Again I connected the audio hardware when it told me and again I got a BSOD during the installation.

07. So I did what I did earlier. Restarted the installation but never actually connected the MBox 2 Mini. And as soon as I did that, the installation finished.

08. After the restart, I launched Pro Tools and waited on Pro Tools to tell me that it couldnt locate my audio hardware. I then connected the MBox 2 Mini and entered the code that Pro Tools asks for on the first run.

That was that. It all worked perfectly from there. I hope this helps someone out there.

Cheers and Good Luck