Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-09-2015, 04:26 PM

Default HD Omni Optical

I'm new to the HD Omni
I would like to know if anyone has used the Fiber Optical out on the HD Omni for an output for a headphone amp to listen to the mix from Protools HD 12.2 ? Not sure if mix L/R can even come out of the Fiber optical out. I have a fiber optical cable running out from the Omni to a Sennheiser HD 800 Headphone Amp in and not getting any sound. In hardware setup I have the output set to Optical S/PDIF
I'm using regular S/pdif in and out's for Eleven Rack. I suppose something in the Omni has to be set or my set up in Hardware needs to be configured properly .Would love some help.
Thanks

MacPro 10.10.2 Yosemite
Protools HD 12.2
1 x Avid HDX DSP Acceleration Card, 1 x HD Omni I/O Interface
Old 09-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Default Re: HD Omni Optical

There may be a couple ways to do this. One way would be to select Spidf out as your Monitor path, instead of analog 1-2 or whatever you have set up. That should put the main mix out of the Spidf. This would be done in the monitor setup window under hardware setup.

The other way would be by double routing all your outputs and your master fader to Spidf. I forget the exact method (it can be done in all versions of Protools regardless of interface), but it involves selecting two sets of outputs simultaneously for each track, and the master fader. For example, 1-2, and also Spidf. Doing it this way, the same source should come out of both selections. If you want to hear just your headphones you could use the mute button on the Omni to mute the main monitors.

Also, you may already know this, but you can not use both Optical Spidf and Coax Spidf at the same time. If you want to use your Eleven Rack hooked up by Coax, you need to switch the Optical output back to Adat (which then allows you to use the Coax. And vice versa.