Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 10:11 PM

Default Please help! You have the knowledge, and I need it

I originally posted this in the "General Forum" but it seems to be getting little consideration (probably 'cause it's too bloody long). Any help, suggestions, work-arounds would greatly assist me in my possible conversion to PTLE from Cubase SX.

1. ReWire. I know it is here now, but I feel the implementation is a little cumbersom. In cubase, from the device drop-down menu, I call up the desired Rewire decive and enable any of the available outputs. Each enabled Rewire track shows up in the mixer and track list. In PTLE, I have to 1. create an audio or aux track 2. insert a rewire/reason instance (reason is then launched) 3.choose a rewire output for the channel... (if you have'nt seen how fast and easy the implemention is in cubase, then you have no Idea of why I am whining here!)

-My Question is: How difficult / feasable would it be to create a "dummy session" that has 1 stereo and 62 mono aux tracks each with a reason rewire insert (corresponding with the 64 available outputs in reason) that I can bring into new sessions via "Import Session Data"? If I am not mistaking I could then choose to import The first 8 reason channels, followed by the next 8 when needed?

-Furthermore, do you generally use AUX or AUDIO tracks for you rewire channels (if you use AUDIO tracks, do they eat into the 32 track max)?

2. Virtual instruments and FX: do any of you use the UAD-1 card? does it work well in the PTLE environment? What about virtual synths, samplers? I have recently learned of the FXpansion vst>rtas wrapper. How is it? How is the FXpansion vst>rewire wrapper? Does that work (seamlessly with sample accuracy? I can't afford to re-buy all the plugins that I have invested in!)

3. are there ASIO drivers that support the digi002? In order to make the switch I'd have to unload my Yamaha 01x, but I want to remain compatible with pasts clients projects. Thus, I'd like to be able to, when needed, run an SX session on the new digi gear.

4. Is it possible to add key commands for the featurs I use most? Can you adjust, re-assign and save hotkey setups? (I like to be able to create a hot key setup for Midi functions often used, and one for audio editing, and one for tracking and one for mixing... then create hot key macros in each to switch between them... it really speeds up the process, and I never have to touch that mouse thingy).

5. I have yet to breach the 32 track barrier using audio alone, but with virtual synths and sound generators and ReWire channels combined, I often find myself with 40-50 channels of audio. How do you address the track count limit? Correct me if I am wrong, all Virtual and rewire channels could be on AUX tracks right? Also, am I correct, there are a total of 64 AUX tracks available?

6. Host based power: I wish, I wish, I could consider a TDM system, but alas! it is too rich for my iron deficient blood! One Feature that I love in SX is the "offline process history." With it I can apply built-in audio proceses (normalise, recerse, etc.), and third party plugin effects (waves effects, uad-1, etc.), directly to an audio event or region. This enable me to conserve CPU power when I begin to run low on it. The beauty of this feature, is that the "OlPH" keeps a list of all the processes, and any of them can be edited, deactivated or removed and any time, leaving the subsequent processes intact! This would not be necessary in TDM, as the core card has the power to keep everything running smoothly in real time, but I know I will long for it in the LE suit. Does this exist in any shape or fasion? If not are there feasible if not efficient work-arounds for it?

7. TDM comparison again: I know it would be fool hardy to assume the the A-D/D-A converters in the digi002 sound as good as those in the HD192, but how about the rest of the internal processing? If i were to track at a studion using an HD192 system, and mix at my studio using the Digi002, would I be compromising the audio quality if all mixing occured "In-the-box" (bypassing the converters)?

Well, you've come this far, and for that I thank you! If you can address any of these issues, Pleae, Please do. Many thanks in advance!
Old 07-03-2004, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Please help! You have the knowledge, and I need it

Hello Bologma,
I usually use my re-wire stuff through Aux tracks. I mainly use Reason for drums on re-wire so I can listen to my playback and program my own drums to create a basis for a song to lay down guitar. Usually I lay a guitar down with the click plug then go to reason for drums and redo the guitar later. As far as tracks I believe that it is 32 audio tracks, 64 aux, and 128 midi tracks. The great thing about pro tools is flexibility. You can route things very easily. After I finish my drums in reason I route them from the Aux track in PT to audio tracks in PT (through a bus or two) and Record the drums to tracks. Then I can use plugins on them and once I have chosen the plugins I save them then bring them up in Audio suite style and apply them to the perticular drum regions and I save on CPU power. As far as Importing session data, I know the option is there but haven't tried it yet. That should help you with a few of your questions.

Good Luck,
Steven
Old 07-03-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Please help! You have the knowledge, and I need it

p s 5 0 0!
ps500!!!
Thanks for a usefull reply! the first I have had. One that actually addresses some of the questions and issues! I've recieved in the neighbourhood of 19 replies on the SOS forum and this is the first useful one. Thanks.
and cheers,
T
Old 07-06-2004, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Please help! You have the knowledge, and I nee

I can answer questions 2 and 6 for you. The UAD and the Adaptor work great within PTLE. There are latency issues, which you have to work out with the Delay Compensation plug in because PT doesn't do it automatically., but the sound you get is worth the extra effort. Also as the other guy said, PT's Audio Suite Plug-In Format is for doing exactly what you described about proccessing regions to conserve CPU........HOWEVER, the are destructive and they replace the original file. So the only way to get the old one back is first, remember what it is called and drag it from the Audio window and put it back on the time line. Not as nifty as having a multilayered undo levels, but it works. Speaking of undo, PTLE only has 32 levels. 99 should be minimum IMHO. BUT............if you are using a UAD Card, or even two or three, you will have as much DSP horsepower as anyone would need from an HD system 80% of the time, but you only have a more limited amount of plugs availiable to you. BUT the plugs you do have are exceptional. The only thing I feel like I lack with my setup is a really really great Lexicon type crystal clear reverb. But I am looking into the TC Powercore as wel because I have heard they have a nice one.

I believe the systems in the future won't so much be stricktly "native" or DSP card based. I think they will be a hybrid of Host CPU and DSP card based systems which are every bit as powerful.......or in the least, more powerful most people need.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Please help! You have the knowledge, and I nee

Thanks for the post! Good to know that the UAD-1 works. I agree about the DSP cards really boosting system specs and testify to the quality of the UA plugs!!!
thanks for the answers.
T