Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Default Pro Tools First 18.7.0.201 doesn't start

Running on macOS High Sierra

Whether I launch the app from the Launchpad, the Tool Bar or the Application Manager, it crashes within 1-2 seconds. The icon on the Tool Bar bounces a couple of times, and then nothing. No error messages, no sounds, no app.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools First 18.7.0.201 doesn't start

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to hear you are having issues getting PTF to run. Unfortunately, without a little more information about your system setup, it is really difficult to give you any troubleshooting advice.

For starters, please read through the Help Us Help You thread, where you will find general setup, optimization and troubleshooting topics.

If you are still having trouble after trying the suggestions in the above thread, please give us more information about your system and I'm sure someone can help get you going.

System Details
Old 10-14-2018, 12:56 PM

I've read through that thread, the DUC and the knowledge base, and there is nothing in any of them that I found that is relevant to the problem I'm experiencing. I get no error messages, no popups, no logs; just a bouncing icon for 1 second and then nothing.
  • Computer model and processor speed: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
  • OS version: macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)
  • Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
  • Pro Tools: Pro Tools | First 2018.7
  • RAM: 16G
  • None or the Scarlett 2i2 (no difference in problems either way)
  • Drives installed: None
  • Troubleshooting: I've tried starting, restarting, and I've fully uninstalled and reinstalled Pro Tools First.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:41 PM

Bull. There are many posts on DUC that describe symptoms of Pro Tools/Pro Tools First (don't' just look for First) "silently" not launching. And you should have already just tried the basic troubleshooting you were pointed to. And lots of discussion on 2i2 issues... which should have motivated to be sure to get that out of any testing.

I'm not sure I believe there was nothing logged anywhere. Where exactly did you look? macOS logs (Console.app), system.log etc.??? Specifically is there anything in system.log, Library/Log/Avid and ~Library/Log/Avid . (dlog files are only of use to Avid, but show stuff is being logged).

---

Specific basic troubleshooting things to try:

Hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools First is starting and keep it held down until you see the playback engine dialog appear and then select "Built in Output" (just as a test).

Trash prefs. See "help us help you" top of each DUC web page.

Create a new macOS admin account and try running PTF from there.

If that does not fix it uninstall and reinstall the app and repeat the above.

If that does not fix it your macOS install is likely at fault, especially if you have been doing in-situ OS upgrades. install a full clean macOS image on a spare drive or partition and do a minimal install with just Pro Tools First and ILM. If that works install other stuff and then clone that over your current boot drive, making archive/backups of course. Do not use the system migration assistant (aks assasin) to migrate apps or drivers. User accounts if you really have to.

----

Was a previous version of Pro Tools (any version) installed or ever installed? Did it work?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-14-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 PM

- Hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools First is starting
Pro Tools First doesn't start. Holding down 'N' does nothing.
- Trash prefs
I have no prefs (no 'Avid' directory, no com.avid.ProTools.*), because PTF has never started
- new macOS admin account
Same result: icon bounces once and disappears
- uninstall and reinstall
I've done this three times already, and I've done it again following these instructions, same result.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:56 PM

Well next step is in the list above.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 PM

If the next step is to reinstall my OS, then I'm out. This isn't Windows 95, this is macOS in 2018. I've been using Mac exclusively for years, and this is the first time I have ever heard of a piece of software with a troubleshooting step of "reinstall the OS". Sorry, thanks for the help, but I'll be moving on from Pro Tools.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkasten View Post
Running on macOS High Sierra

Whether I launch the app from the Launchpad, the Tool Bar or the Application Manager, it crashes within 1-2 seconds. The icon on the Tool Bar bounces a couple of times, and then nothing. No error messages, no sounds, no app.
give them some money, watch
Old 10-26-2018, 06:44 PM

Are you connected to the internet while you're trying to start up PTF? I have seen issues in the past where not having a working internet connection caused the same problem.
Also, have a look in /Application/Utilities/Console.app to see if any lines are written while you're trying to start the software, then search for any errors to see if others are having the same issue.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:44 PM
SPAM

I've read through that thread, the DUC, and the knowledge base, and there is nothing in any of them that I found that is relevant to the problem I'm experiencing. I get no error messages, no popups, no logs; just a bouncing icon for 1 second and then nothing. Online Assignment Help

Last edited by denisbill; 12-26-2018 at 11:01 AM.