Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-26-2019, 04:59 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
So you are moving to a DAW that trying to be like..... Pro Tools that is hilarious!!! it seems to be the over riding issue here.... Reaper trying to be Pro Tools, S1 trying to be like Pro Tools.... prolly why I went with Cubase
If you go back and read what I wrote the only thing that's "like" Pro Tools is the shortcuts.

Everything else I stated is "better" than Pro Tools. In fact to get the monitoring performance I'm seeing in S1 you'd have to upgrade to HDX since TDM was killed off years ago.

Being a valid option isn't necessarily being like pro tools.
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:29 PM

Great way to encourage license holders not to purchase any further Avid plug-ins. Now all plug-ins which I purchase will come from a party that ensures they work on all major DAWs, so when Avid finally pushes me to make the switch, all plug-ins purchased henceforth will not have been purchased in vain. I see this decision by Avid as a movement toward downsizing its product base and clientele base to only high end HD users--the Ritz market. Anyone else in their right mind would be an idiot to use Avid, when you can get everything you get from PT standard and then some elsewhere for a fraction of the price. I was dreading the switch to Logic, but now I'm beginning to feel excited about it, about knowing I will be using something that is reliably available in its latest issue, without the expense and hassle of having to pay more and more, over and over. Way back when I purchased PT, upgrades were free and one assumed this would always be the case. When they later started charging for the upgrades to which we should have been entitled for free, that was a very shady business practice indeed. Now this is even shadier they way they are trying to deceive us into believing it would be a better to surrender our perpetual licenses. Anyone who'd been doing any serious recording with a perpetual license would be an utter fool to surrender it. You could easily lose access to all your material with no fault of your own, just for forgetting to make a payment. What a shameful sham!
Old 06-26-2019, 05:53 PM

Seems like it must be a company that is on the verge of going under, downsizing and trying to corner the market on the industry elite. Perhaps its just the pressure from so many competitors that meet or top Pro Tools standard, that it's no longer viable to compete in that market. However, instead of just ending future sales and upgrades for PT standard, Avid decides to just force its customers to voluntarily quit using Pro Tools. From a business management standpoint, this is financial insanity. You either kill the product or you retain a customer base should you not kill the product. Just look at the figures for Avid. Revenue, income and assets--all relatively flat since 2015, curiously about the time they started charging for upgrades! Now, Avid's mission of suicide for PT standard is hard to read as anything but desperation. For all such reasons, any investor with a clue would probably want to think twice about investing in Avid. A sad day for a company which was once an industry leader.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:16 PM

Any one notice that 2019.6 was released and vanilla can now use Heat if you have the license?

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 06-26-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone View Post
Seems like it must be a company that is on the verge of going under, downsizing and trying to corner the market on the industry elite. Perhaps its just the pressure from so many competitors that meet or top Pro Tools standard, that it's no longer viable to compete in that market. However, instead of just ending future sales and upgrades for PT standard, Avid decides to just force its customers to voluntarily quit using Pro Tools. From a business management standpoint, this is financial insanity. You either kill the product or you retain a customer base should you not kill the product. Just look at the figures for Avid. Revenue, income and assets--all relatively flat since 2015, curiously about the time they started charging for upgrades! Now, Avid's mission of suicide for PT standard is hard to read as anything but desperation. For all such reasons, any investor with a clue would probably want to think twice about investing in Avid. A sad day for a company which was once an industry leader.
I kinda figured they were on the skids a few years ago when they cleaned out the U.S. developers and outsourced coding to Ukranians who are GREAT coders...but 1/10 the cost.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 06-26-2019, 07:56 PM

This is a long thread to go through so would someone be so kind as to answer my question that has probably been explained 100 times already?

I have a perpetual license of Pro Tools Standard. I'm frozen at 2018.12 as I decided not to renew in December. Am I correct that:

1. If I want to crossgrade to the subscription, I forfeit my perpetual software that I've owned since PT9, and if I stop paying for the subscription I will have no useable version of Pro Tools?

2. If I want to continue my perpetual ownership of Pro Tools with the latest version, I can pay $199 and get a year of Pro Tools updates, and keep working at the latest update version if I don't renew again after that?

Thanks!
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
Old 06-26-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliderman View Post
I have a perpetual license of Pro Tools Standard. I'm frozen at 2018.12 as I decided not to renew in December. Am I correct that:

1. If I want to crossgrade to the subscription, I forfeit my perpetual software that I've owned since PT9, and if I stop paying for the subscription I will have no useable version of Pro Tools?

2. If I want to continue my perpetual ownership of Pro Tools with the latest version, I can pay $199 and get a year of Pro Tools updates, and keep working at the latest update version if I don't renew again after that?

Thanks!

If I’m wrong I stand corrected.

1. Yes

2. After July 1st 2019 If I’m not mistaken if you are frozen at December 2018 you need a reinstatement and from what I saw from the new pricing plan you can only reinstate to a subscription. I didn’t see any reinstatement plans of perpetual licenses that are expired.

Now prior to July 1st 2019 I assume that you can reinstate a perpetual. If that’s the case you have 4 days to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
I really like the routing and plugin browser. I'm liking the workflow better I think.

Well I use it rather frequently in the field but I don’t find it handy at all.

I always forget how to swap windows and there’s always something I can’t find.

PT is just too easy to get where I want to go, I don’t disagree with every one about the pricing fiasco or the management that must continually run the company’s finances into the red.....but PT is much easier for me to get work done
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
If you go back and read what I wrote the only thing that's "like" Pro Tools is the shortcuts.
really? So you didn’t post this eh’ “They even have a setting that enables all of the Pro Tools shortcuts to work in S1!” Maybe you should have gone back and edited your post before you posted the above Doh! you posted it and you left out the word “only”

Quote:
Everything else I stated is "better" than Pro Tools. In fact to get the monitoring performance I'm seeing in S1 you'd have to upgrade to HDX since TDM was killed off years ago.

Being a valid option isn't necessarily being like pro tools.
Yup thats your opinion, I’m sure you two will be great together!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5EE9672E-8CA8-4EFC-B005-FE0603236786.jpg (75.4 KB, 0 views)
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————

Last edited by xrekcor; 06-27-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I don’t disagree with every one about the pricing fiasco or the management that must continually run the company’s finances into the red.....but PT is much easier for me to get work done
+1 I think they should have at least some sort transition period so users had enough time to absorb the coming changes....
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————