Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-25-2016, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Crash when re-opening session that worked perfect

Thanks Juan for the input. In my case I don't think that's the problem.

@Larold: Yes I use video, and I always convert it to Avid codec in an attempt to eliminate as much crash-causes as possible.

Here's the latest update:
3 days after the previous post, it happened again at session import. So I shift-opened that session and removed a single EQ7 (from Avid, comes with Pro Tools) insert from one of the tracks. After that I've been able to work a full magical week crash-free!! Ohh the bliss...

An hour ago it happened again, at session open.
Again I shift-opened, removed one EQ7 insert on an unused track, saved & closed, re-opened and.. Magic! the session opens again.

So from now on I have to make sure I always have an unused track with an insert on it, for the fastest way to temporarily cure this disease...
Old 02-17-2016, 12:17 AM

Hello everybody,

Today I found a new, easier way to (temporarily) solve the bug.
I had to, because the removing-an-insert-trick did not work anymore with a session.

1. Shift- open
2. Make all tracks inactive
3. Save & close
4. Re-open
5. Make all tracks active again.

Easier and it works! (so far...)

EDIT March 2nd 2016:
Be sure to NOT reactivate all tracks at once, this can still cause the crash.

EDIT 2 March 3rd:
AND be sure to re-activate in small batches, because even when re-activating in batches it can crash. It's the law. Pro Tools WILL crash. It's forced upon you.

Last edited by mdb; 03-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:30 PM

I thought I'd give y'all a lovely little update regarding the situation:

Feedback of Avid so far: 0%

I haven't been doing much post production lately, but now have to do a bigger surround thing. I've moved to a new location, and remarkably the problem seems location dependent. I know that is not possible in the digital domain, but heh, it's Avid so anything is possible.

Now it doesn't freeze on session open, but the exact same thing happens while working! Isn't that jolly? So the past afternoon consisted of 50% rebooting and 25% swearing, leaving only 25% of actual working.

It took me 3 days to gather courage to start working on the project and now this happens right away. My decision is definite: I stop doing post production. When the gigs I still have scheduled are finished, I will never do post production again. Not in Pro Tools at least. I move to location sound.

I'm not spending another € 15.000 to upgrade to a new Mac that needs an older OS installed, new mandatory hardware, and all plugins new, only to roll into the same frustrations again after one or two years. Bye bye and good luck everybody, you'll need it.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 AM

I have positive news regarding this system freeze problem.

I checked the playback engine and all 8 CPU cores where in use. I choose 6 host processors, and so far it seems to prevent system freeze while working. If this did not help after all, I'll post it again..

I still did have a Freeze-on open, but the mouse didn't freeze and I could force quit.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
2 things would be tops on my list.
#1-trash prefs and database files
#2-hold the SHIFT key while opening a session.
Holding SHIFT will make all plugins inactive, and if this allows the session to open, then its likely you have a plugin that is outdated or corrupted. In either case, its a process of elimination to find which plugin is the culprit(probably NOT a stock plugin). Re-activate all the stock plugins, save>close>re-open. If this is still good, re-activate some more(stick to brand, like all Waves plugins, or all UAD plugins) until you figure out which is the show stopper. You might also be able to open the session like this, and make ALL active and the session will run, allowing you to make the changes for the client and re-bounce(IOW, maybe the bad plugin only causes the issue while opening the session, but will run as long as the session is open). Fingers crossed for ya
Did you ever actually DO what albee suggested above? He gave you a step-by-step method to troubleshoot your plugs. Note especially "re-activate ... until you figure out which is the show stopper."
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume

Last edited by EGS; 05-26-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Did you ever actually DO what albee suggested above? He gave you a step-by-step method to troubleshoot your plugs. Note especially "re-activate ... until you figure out which is the show stopper."
Yes, did you read everything I wrote? (between the rant there is actually useful information as well)
Among many other things I even used an old disk image from before the problems started and that didn't help.
However, using 6 of the avaiable 8 processor cores seems to work so far.. If only I thought of that earlier.. (though chances still are big it is not the solution in the end but I'll post that if it freezes again)
Maybe it's CPU or motherboard related... But it only happens in PT so I guess not.

Update: I can confirm that NOT using all CPU cores is the solution. I only had 2 freezes since then. So I will never let Pro Tools use all CPU cores again.

Last edited by mdb; 11-16-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:07 PM

Upon upgrading to PT 2019.10, some sessions mysteriously would crash while opening. I'd get as far as Restoring Tracks, and it would crash. I suspected a plug conflict, and removed them all figuring to reinstall a batch at a time to zero in on the culprit. The problem is that I have 281 plugs, and you need to quit and restart PT every time you add a batch of plugs. Curiosity and impatience got to me and I actually generated the Crash Log on the crash page, and guess what? Near the bottom after "Stacktrace" the offending plug was named! (Amplitube 3). I took it out and it's now working fine.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difonzo View Post
Upon upgrading to PT 2019.10, some sessions mysteriously would crash while opening. I'd get as far as Restoring Tracks, and it would crash. I suspected a plug conflict, and removed them all figuring to reinstall a batch at a time to zero in on the culprit. The problem is that I have 281 plugs, and you need to quit and restart PT every time you add a batch of plugs. Curiosity and impatience got to me and I actually generated the Crash Log on the crash page, and guess what? Near the bottom after "Stacktrace" the offending plug was named! (Amplitube 3). I took it out and it's now working fine.
Not surprised. What operating system are you running on? Amplitube 3 has issues with trying to run in any modern os whether Windoze or OSX. The last OSX that ran Amplitube 3 stable for me was OSX 10.9.5. OSX 10.10.5 would crash PT 11.3.2 and Amplitube 3 on a regular basis.

QAPLA!