Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2015, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Interested in C 24. Have a bunch of novice questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
You're obviously missing the point and trying to make it all about the "looks" comment of the C24 to fit your opinion. But whatever, have your silly fun! We all know you know exactly what I'm talking about.
I am Not trying to be elitist and a snob but working in this business for 20 years I have never heard of anyone buying gear to impress people or any other reason.

Maybe it is different in the US climate, who knows but here in Scandinavia we honestly don't think like that.

Yes of course I agree it is nice and "might" be more productive to have a super fresh studio but as we made songs that sold over 5million copies on a crappy Behringer 8000 and AKG C3000 mic into a Fostex porta studio in someones cold crappy basement with bedsheets hangingfrom the walls so I have never seen it this way.

And to Arche3 :
Moderators are the same as members, we are peers and have opinions and if I can't have it why should you? I said I don't agree a C24 would impress me or the clients we work with one bit and I would buy something better like a D Command or more over an S3 which is way more integrated and modern tech so how is that elitist and snobbish?

Hellfire: you know I respect you and we have talked before and had nice chats IMHO so I am just trying to help you buy the best gear for the music you make. If i came off in a cocky way I really do appologize for that. I promise i have never thought about this sudject like this but I can undertand your point. My point was i would get something that was more modern and works better and longer to the future

I really do wish you all the best and that you get what you want so no bad blood here

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2015, 06:12 AM

I will say this for the third time. The C24 is NOT just about looks for me. You're taking one small part of the larger conversation and running with it. I actually like/prefer the configuration of it over the smaller options. Looking cool is just a bonus. Obviously, if I wanted it just to look cool, I wouldn't be here asking questions about how it actually functions and I would just buy it and use my mouse with the C24 in front of me.

Can I ask why you would choose a D-Command over the C24, being that the D-Command is no longer supported? I like the configuration of the D-Command. The only thing that turns me away is that it's only 8 faders. And I did some searching for it. Not really easy to find. This would tell me parts could be hard to find if needed. With the C24, it's still supported and still sold brand new.

As for the S3, it looks like a cool controller, but it's too small and I'm not fond of all the Shift-button functions. What I like about the C24 is the amount of dedicated buttons it has for various functions. The S3 is not completely out of the question, just not my #1 choice.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 12-15-2015, 06:13 AM

For what its worth, I got an C|24, and I think its great.
Love having 24 faders right there.
Came from the Artist series, and this is heaven compared to those.

The C|24 is built like a tank, and still supported by AVID.
I use it mostly as a controller, but the Pres are NOT that bad as described here.
(But please, I dont want to start any discussion about those )

I am normally using a MH ULN-8, and I got the UA 6176 for vocal.
But I have no problems using the C|24 pres if I have to.
You just dont wanna push them too much, so not preferable for drums.

And the WOW factor, yes, its an extra bonus ...

Geir
Old 12-15-2015, 06:22 AM

We had the Control 24 for over 5 years and as a controller both C24 and Control 24 was great, the issue I have (this is my opinion only) since you asked is that paying for the whole preamp section and the monitoring section which aren't that great is why I think a D Command is a better choice, everything on those puppies are great. As the ES model is basically the exact same connection wise the blue D Commands will definitely work as long as the ES models will.

But as a Control surface a C24 is a good piece. Just that you pay for more which is better spent on outboard gear.

Regarding the S3 it is a great and very cool unit. However it is a bit small and the metering is hard to see and placed on the wrong side of each fader IMO and in others opinions who have them.

Gemylon : I am right there with you regarding the Artist Series, we had 4 of them and sold all 4 of the units last week and now have the Raven MTi2's in that room.

Hellfire, have you thought about the Raven MTi2? Super cool and IMPRESSIVE and we are very happy with them.

Two of them for under 2K in the US. About 30% more here but well worth it. This is my own opinions of course but the MTI's are a very quick and easy way to work at the same time it looks awesome with the two next yo eachother. Very clean looking room with no cables everywhere and with the stands they come with you can have them any way you want

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2015, 06:39 AM

The Control 24 looks like a great controller too, but some of the controls seem to high up. Like it would require too much reaching. This I why I like the C24 layout better, as it's more flat. But yeah, it does suck paying extra for all of the extra pre's that I most likely wouldn't ever use.

Regarding the Raven, I actually almost bought the new one recently, but played with one at IMSTA and didn't really like the touch screen as much as tactile faders. I agree that it is very impressive though, and powerful. I just don't really like touch screens as much. This is also why I don't really enjoy the Pro Control iPad app, not that it's at all comparable to a Raven.

I was also considering the Mackie U Controller, but it honestly looks like a POS in person, and fragile. I like how it's modular though!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Old 12-15-2015, 07:09 AM

Yeah The Control 24 is a bit to taste with layout but thats no option for you as it doesn't work over PT10 so by what you said so far (with conviction) I would get the C24 if you have a good price going. It is a great controller for sure and if you get it for a very good price then you can look past the preamps and monitoring section. I will say though as Gemylon said / The C24 pre's are way better than the older Control24 ones and so is the monitoring so maybe it will fit your needs perfectly

So if those comments made in this post apply then I say go for it. As said it is still supported and sold new which is a good thing and if you don't use the preamps atleast you have them should you need to if say mic'ing up a drumset and run out of external preamps as then they are atleast better than no preamps.

All The Best and just make sure you get a good price and that you are sure you want it and you are sure it is the best option for your needs and that you ruled out the other controllers.

As for the Ravens they are also a matter of taste and workflow. Some love them and some can't work with them as it is basically a glorified iPad We bought them as we grew tired of Artist series crashing and eucon not working and as we have our trusted ICON D Control 32 ES for faders these Ravens are a good fit for us.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2015, 07:51 AM

Well, I'm still looking at least a year out. Maybe they will come out with something newer with a similar configuration before then. Or maybe the prices of the C24 will be even better. Only looked on eBay so far. Haven't seen any under $5000 that are in 100% known working condition. Thanks for all the advice!

Any other nice 3rd party options that have good integration with PT?

Pro Tools 2021.12

Old 12-15-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I am Not trying to be elitist and a snob but working in this business for 20 years I have never heard of anyone buying gear to impress people or any other reason.

Maybe it is different in the US climate, who knows but here in Scandinavia we honestly don't think like that.

Yes of course I agree it is nice and "might" be more productive to have a super fresh studio but as we made songs that sold over 5million copies on a crappy Behringer 8000 and AKG C3000 mic into a Fostex porta studio in someones cold crappy basement back in the 90's with bedsheets hanging from the walls so I have never seen it this way.

And to Arche3 :
Moderators are the same as members, we are peers and have opinions and if I can't have it why should you? I said I don't agree a C24 would impress me or the clients we work with one bit and I would buy something better like a D Command or more over an S3 which is way more integrated and modern tech so how is that elitist and snobbish?

Hellfire: you know I respect you and we have talked before and had nice chats IMHO so I am just trying to help you buy the best gear for the music you make. If i came off in a cocky way I really do appologize for that. I promise i have never thought about this sudject like this but I can undertand your point. My point was i would get something that was more modern and works better and longer to the future

I really do wish you all the best and that you get what you want so no bad blood here
Sorry I misinterpreted. Hard to tell sometimes on the forums due to format of text only.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Sorry I misinterpreted. Hard to tell sometimes on the forums due to format of text only.
I am sorry if i came off that way and I re-read a few replies IMO came off maybe a bit harsh and I apologize for that, was definitely not the way I meant it

All Good and Thanks for setting me straight

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-15-2015, 10:27 AM

Nah man it's all good. I didn't take it personally. I know how it is tho. Guys come here trying to spends thousands of dollars for all the wrong reasons and are highly misinformed. So I get it. But that's exactly why I'm asking these questions. Was talking to my guy Mac at Sweetwater and he pretty much said the same thing you guys said. He showed me a really nice S3 setup with a desk and transport controller which looks really appealing as well. Just have to look more into it. Looked like Mitch was having to do a lot of menu diving to get to certain functions. For me, functionality is very important, but I still want the setup to look (and sound) like a pro facility. And that's really my whole thinking behind the "looks". But like I said, if it's not a good purchase I'm not doing it. That's why I'm here.

Pro Tools 2021.12

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 12-15-2015 at 11:04 AM.