Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-27-2014, 10:08 AM

Default Multiple versions of PT 11 - alternating on same system (OSX 10.9.5)

Background:
I found the solution (link below) to the midnam-problem in Pro Tools 11.1-11.3 in another thread.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Tools-11-1-x#
Part of the work-around was to install an older version of Pro Tools.

My question isn't about the Patch Name issue, but regarding keeping different versions of PT in my Applications Folder.
I'd already installed 11.3, so I downloaded 11.0.2 from my user account and put it in my Application folder together with the newer version. (Renamed the different versions to "Pro Tools 11.3.0" and "Pro Tools 11.0.2".

Is it ok to keep both versions?
When I installed the older app it created some helper file, don't remember the exact name. Does that or anything else interfere with 11.3?

Every time I start any of those two versions after using the other, the loading of the plugins is very slow. If I quit and restart the same version it's snappy as usual.
What is happening?
Any system files or the actual plugins are altered?
Also, the Workspace Database is updated each time I change version.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Hakan

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 12-28-2014, 06:24 PM

Lightbulb Re: Multiple versions of PT 11 - alternating on same system (OSX 10.9.5)

Having multiple versions of 11.x installed is not tested or supported.

When you launch v11.0.2, it is checking the plug-ins folder for certain versions. If it does not find them, it installs them. If you then launch v11.0.2 again, it finds the plug-in versions it is looking for, and launches faster. The reverse is probably true for v11.3, though given it's use of an installer app, I am not certain.

The Workspace database being updated is by design.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Multiple versions of PT 11 - alternating on same system (OSX 10.9.5)

Thanks!

So maybe it should be mentioned in Avid's workaround link, that it's recommended to install the different versions on separate systems/drives/partitions.
But in that case, what files should be copied from system to system to show the Patch names correctly?

Anyway, I guess I'd better reinstall the latest version.
Haven't had any crashes yet, though.

Regarding the Workspace files in Users/Shared/Pro Tools:
Can I delete them all, and they get recreated?
I've deleted the incremental files and have the following left:
WaveCache.wfm
Workspace.wksp
Workspace.wksp-shm
Workspace.wksp-wal

Also wonder what "helper" file was installed with 11.0.2, and how to remove it if I have to.

PT Ultimate 2022.10.0 | HD OMNI | S3 | PT Dock | EuControl 2022.4.0.78 | PT Control 2022.4.0.60
macOS Big Sur 11.6.5 | Mac Pro (2019), 3,2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 384 GB 2933 MHz DDR4
Old 12-29-2014, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Multiple versions of PT 11 - alternating on same system (OSX 10.9.5)

opening in 10.3.x also works for the MIDI name in V11 bug.
No need to two V-11's However this should only need to be done Once!
If the names keep disappearing, rebuild templates.
New midi /instrument tracks should remain cured.

This has been a big pain for me with external sound modules.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:41 AM

Uh, guys?

I think you are totally misreading the work-around.

This is actually a very common fix for a very common problem...

Suppose you are a software developer, and you initially release "MyApp 1.0". When someone installs "MyApp 1.0", the installer creates a file named, "MustHave.cfg", which must be created for the application to run.

Later, you release "MyApp 1.1". But when you build the installer, you forget to include the code that creates "MustHave.cfg". So, if you first install "MyApp 1.1", "MustHave.cfg" does not get created, and "MyApp 1.1" won't run.

Obviously, you need to fix the installer, but it will take some time to fix it, test it, and distribute it. But, in order to get your customers up and running, you put a notice on your website telling them to first install "MyApp 1.0" (which creates" MustHave.cfg"), then install "MyApp 1.1", and everything will work fine.

This is what Avid is telling you to do...install a version <11.1 and modify "midnam" (or whatever the filename is) as required. Then install a version >=11.1 (over the existing version <11.1) and all will be well.

Avid could have been a bit more precise, but really, do you think Avid would tell you to install two versions of PT 11?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-29-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
opening in 10.3.x also works for the MIDI name in V11 bug.
Yes I know, but I don't have PT10 on my Mavericks drive.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Uh, guys?
Avid could have been a bit more precise, but really, do you think Avid would tell you to install two versions of PT 11?
Seems weird, that's why I asked.
Also, I need to update my midnam files now and then, so I'm gonna have to use this workaround many times.
Since it's not a one-off operation for me, I'm looking for the best way to do this without having to uninstall 11.3 etc each and every time.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Seems weird, that's why I asked.
Also, I need to update my midnam files now and then, so I'm gonna have to use this workaround many times.
Since it's not a one-off operation for me, I'm looking for the best way to do this without having to uninstall 11.3 etc each and every time.
Again, I'm not a Mac guy, but...

You know where the midnam file is on one machine...have you tried copying it to the same location on a machine that has 11.3 installed?

From what I've read on this thread, I think there's a pretty good chance it might work...if so, it could save you a lot of work...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks Bill,
I don't think it's the midnam files, though, but some Audio/Midi preference files that gets edited by the different versions of PT.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:00 AM

Bill,

You don't have a clue about this, so spare us your advice please. Sorry to be so blunt, but all you are doing is creating more confusion. I don't comment on Windows issues, as its been so many years since I've used Pro Tools on a Windows computer. I don't comment on Mavericks or Yosemite specific issues either, as I've so far stayed with Mountain Lion. It doesn't matter how well intentioned your comments might be, if you have no experience of using Pro Tools on a mac, you are not in a strong position when it comes to offering advice. And, in this case, it it clear that you have no knowledge or undrstanding of the problem.

midinam files support is broken in ALL versions of PT11 on mac computers, it's not a specific PT11.x version issue. The knowledge base article suggests that it works fine in Pro Tools 11.0.x, but that's not been the experienc of many people. And having multiple versions of PT11 installed simultaneously is not recommended, so having 10 and 11 coinstalled is the better option IMO.

The workaround is to set everything up so it works in PT10. Then, it will work in PT11 too, so long as you don't mistakenly try to edit using PT11, which will often break it again.

It is not the midinam files that are the problem. It is the way that Pro Tools uses the information in Audio MIDI Setup to understand which external hardware is connected to each physical MIDI port.

I and others have previously posted precise detailed instructions on how to implement a specific workaround, so there is no need for irrelevant and conceptually wrong hypothetical explanations that are of no assistance.

Here's a link to my workaround post, which, er, works.

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2185278&postcount=26
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)

Last edited by nigelpry; 12-30-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added info, including link to workaround post