Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-16-2019, 04:47 PM

Default weird MIDI lag

hi all

My system is Quad core Phenom with 16GBs RAM ,SSD system drive ,windows 8.1 ,PT 8.05 LE and DIGI 002 CONSOLE Hardware.

System also has an E-mu 1212m ,wichs feautures MID IN/OUTS and a Edirol uax midi interface thats USB .

there is a Roland Fantom S connected to digi's 002 MIDI IN, and i have some midi devices connected to Digi's 002 MIDI OUT ,
Digi omidi out --->Alesis QSR (M through) --->Proteus 2k(M through) --->(M through)Audity 2k
Pt runs okay , had no problems so far ,but much to my suprise I have MIDI Lag when playing Alesis QSR wich is the First device on this midi chain.

I can see the MIDI IN indicator on Digi console blinking when i don't play it

So is it the midi activity "trasmitted" by Fantom screwing midi ? is it PT doesn't like "other" MIDI devices ? i already tried to filter MIDI information received by d 002 midi in ,i also removed devices from Hardware setup
Fantom S is being set midi I/O from "Hardware" dialog.

help if you can
Old 06-17-2019, 02:42 PM

Default Re: weird MIDI lag

It may be tough to diagnose an older rig like this, but here are some ideas to try:

1-Check Midi Realtime Properties to make sure you don't(accidentally) have a timing offset dialed up.

2-Simplify things down to a single hardware device and try each piece alone to see if the QSR is causing the problem.

3-because you are daisy-chaining midi devices, IIRC, each device is adding upwards of 10ms(so 3 devices in a row will cause 30ms of midi latency). It might be better to get a MIDI splitter to take a single midi OUT and feed each device from the splitter(to eliminate the acculated latency)

4-could the lag be caused by plugin latency? With LE having no automatic latency correction, your session itself might be causing timing issues(especially if you have some "mastering" plugins on a master track).

5-think about dragging yourself out of old habits One good controller and some modern VI plugins can cover (probably) everything you need, but with much less hardware(and the associated issues). Just an idea

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave