Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2021, 08:23 AM

Default Direct Monitoring For Live Streaming

Purchased my Pro Tools Carbon this week and have been loving most every function...for recording purposes. However, in the current remote environment, a large part of my career is additionally Zoom drum lessons and live streaming.

My centerpiece for the past year has been an Apollo x8 and I was hoping to replace it with Carbon. The only feature that Carbon can't beat so far is the ease in which my Zoom and OBS software can communicate with it. When selected as the microphone input, Apollo routes everything that it hears to the software (including desktop audio and every mic channel, not to mention that direct signal can be modified within the US Console software). This is obviously very useful when teaching drum lessons with a 12 mic setup and a talkback.

One of the things that turned me off about UA was the need for Console. Needing to keep track of another software for levels was a pain. But Ironically, it seems to be exactly what makes this direct monitoring and streaming so seamless.

Does Carbon have any ability to enable direct monitoring or to route audio channels correctly into Zoom/OBS? When simply choosing Carbon as the Mic input, the software only receives channel one audio hard panned to the left ear. Best case scenario is the ability to do this without needing PT open, as I don't want to temporarily lose my talkback mic every time I switch sessions during a lesson or stream.

I want this thing to beat the Apollo so bad! Can't financially justify keeping them both around.

My Website
Old 02-05-2021, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Direct Monitoring For Live Streaming

Click on the device input in your OBS scene, in the audio mixer select the cog icon and select Advanced Audio properties and select Mono for Carbon
Old 02-05-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinukus View Post
Click on the device input in your OBS scene, in the audio mixer select the cog icon and select Advanced Audio properties and select Mono for Carbon
That takes care of the hard panning but it still only registers input from channels 1 and 2. Also no desktop audio or PT playback.

My Website
Old 02-05-2021, 04:50 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksticks4 View Post
That takes care of the hard panning but it still only registers input from channels 1 and 2. Also no desktop audio or PT playback.
One thing you can try is "Zoom + Source-Nexus + Loopback for Remote Review and Approval (macOS only)" in the article here:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...nfo&popup=true

Scroll about halfway down the page and expand the first section under "Third Party Streaming Collaboration".
Berkeley, CA
Old 02-07-2021, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the reply Kyle.

Right now I'm using a workaround where I route the alt monitor into a second interface and I just set Zoom/OBS to use the second interface as the input. It's working, but it would be fantastic to see Carbon have some more thorough i/o options someday!

My Website
Old 02-07-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
One thing you can try is "Zoom + Source-Nexus + Loopback for Remote Review and Approval (macOS only)" in the article here:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...nfo&popup=true

Scroll about halfway down the page and expand the first section under "Third Party Streaming Collaboration".
Humm I wonder if that would work for me as well, as a way to use Pro Tools (FX) and have them play into Zoom meeting via PT output ? .

To clarify : I participate in a Zoom meeting Open Mic situation as only a participant (I do not set up the meeting) I get a link to the meeting that is sent out by the organizers .

Zoom sees the Carbon (Carbon I/O,,,, not the Reserved for PT ) as a Mic /Speaker source, so I can go directly into Zoom and use my mic/s works fine , BUT then I have no PT-FX .
I can launch a PT session with FX and still be connected to the Zoom meeting and I can here the FX back through my Head Phones but the FX and (I assume the output from PT) are not going to zoom. It seem to be only connected directly from the Carbon to Zoom whether PT is open or not.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-07-2021, 01:56 PM

Here's another option, depending on your gear. I use a monitor/source switcher here(Presonus Central Station) and feed optical SPDIF from my computer into it(so only Pro Tools uses my interface). If I select that signal as the cue source, I can patch that into my interface and get all non-PT audio into any session(on either an audio or aux track).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-08-2021, 06:07 AM

I have to amend my previous post

And I have no explanation as to why.... BUT previously I had been doing my combined PT and Zoom meeting sessions by using the Input monitoring button on the channels that I had my mic's plugged into, and as noted while I could hear the FX coming through my HP's (plugged into Carbon) the FX were not reflected in the Zoom output ( like when doing the "Mic Test" in Zoom '"Audio Settings"

However yesterday I was experimenting and found that If I enabled the Record button on the mic channels, then all the FX (even the ones on Aux input return channels) were reflected in Zoom, any thoughts ????????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 02-08-2021 at 08:20 AM.