Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 PM

Default Snow Leopard or Leopard?

It's hard to be sure, but consensus seems to support sticking with Leopard instead of using Snow Leopard for PT LE 8.0.3.

I ask because I've had so many problems with my 8.0.3/MBox Pro 2 (on brand new 13" 2.26G 2-gigRAM MacBook Pro, 10.6.3)--the latest being constant freezing (beachball) whenever I try to record (i.e., can get sounds, but when I click "play" button in record mode, it freezes, this despite following all steps in the general troubleshooting guide)--that I'm thinking of replacing Snow Leopard with Leopard and then reinstalling PT LE.

I'm not doing anything ambitious: trying to add a couple of mic'd tracks of acoustic guitar to a pre-existing session of some 12 tracks, all raw, no effects, no 3rd-party plugins.

I'm interested in opinions comparing the two OS X systems. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Snow Leopard or Leopard?

I'm still with Leopard. I never update unless there us a good reason. I like to work and if everything is good why mess with it. I never understand why some guys jump on every OS update and complain it is not working. If the OS or PT have something to offer I will change, otherwise I let the fellow Duc guys sort it out.
A studio I worked at a while back when I had 7.0 installed at home was using PT 5.?? and making great music. The producer said to me that PT was the tool and it was rock solid so he waited a long time to update.

To each his own
Old 04-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks, Bender. Because the Mactop was brand new, it came with Snow Leopard, so I was (naively) hoping it would work okay.

Are you using LE 8.0.3?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:22 PM

I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.3

Everything is running fine platform-wise. My only problem is getting Structure Free to work, but thats I problem amond Windows users as well and not mac related from what I've read throughout the forums. You'll be better of with Snow Leopard especially if you're cramped for space as its new format frees up those missing gigs that earlier versions needed for drive formatting. So you have a 500gb drive, you'll have 499gb available instead of 469(approx).

Its best you use it now because this is how Apple perfects it, by monitoring usage and error data.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:57 PM

Unhappy Re: Snow Leopard or Leopard?

Hello....

Bender is Absolutely on target !!!

I "had" a G5 w/Leopard, and it worked Great. Now, I have (jumped over the edge) purchased a dual quad 2.26, and I have PTLE 8.0.3cs1, and am attempting to work with Mac 10.6.3 and it Mostly works, but I feel like I'm dancin' on Ice, as I have several UNACCEPTABLE issues now. (10.6.2 was the same)

FYI = 16GB Ram + 4 Internal Drives. Don't waste your time asking if I have performed ADNahsium...The Suggested PT/Digi Troubleshooting --> HUNDREDS of times. i have

I do have my record drive on a separate (not a system) internal drive.

1-When I try to Com/E or just simply attempt to separate any region, I get the spinning Beach Ball from HELL!!!!!!!!! and I ForceQuit & re-start, and then zoom out to a large pic and capture the region with the separator, and hit delete, and this works with No Problem...Now I have my region separated, after stupidly attempting to see if it might finally work (after hours of work).

2-This is Not my most upsetting issue, as I have Sibelius Notation Software, (Owned by Avid) and I have spoken to Them on the phone for Days, with no proper answer to get it to work, except install another Clean System on another HDrive. Now Sibelius works great, on another drive other than my Main System drive with my PTLE installed on the Main drive, and Sibelius on another..

I need to have only 1 system drive to allow me to open Sibelius From ProTools, and work on lead sheets.

I am now in the process of backing up everything (again),and I will go back to Apple 10.5.6 to see if the SnowLeop is the likely problem, and allow me to have only 1 system drive, with PT 8 + Sibelius on my main drive.

I HAVE A THEORY...MANY WILL NOT LIKE IT -BUTT- I think that there is an issue with the 64bit Apple/Mac that work GREAT in Logic, but NOT in PTools.

What is with this? Come on, weigh in on this, because I think this could be a way for Apple to try to sell more Logic Pro 64bit systems???? huh?

Does anyone on this Forum have my exact set-up, with Success???

Thank you for taking time to read this and for any suggestions...
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks JBlongz and Relaxo. It's possible I don't have the 8.0.3cs2 update (can't remember and I'm not near the computer now), for one. It's also possible it's operator error (a friend who uses older PT suggested not having my input and output be same channel, but I could *swear* I've done this before with no problem. Well, what the heck, I may as well try that before starting all over again.).

Guitates: are you going back to Leopard in the next day or so? If so, I'll be interested in hearing about how it turns out.

Again, the problem is I don't have a Leopard baseline against which to compare the problems I've had with Snow Leopard. And I'm so dang new to PT that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the problem resides in something I've done (e.g., had been running midi tracks; disconnected and moved laptop/drive/MBox P2 to a new room for acoustic recording; then all went south--who knows what might have gone awry in the move?).
Old 04-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mduke View Post
Thanks JBlongz and Relaxo. It's possible I don't have the 8.0.3cs2 update (can't remember and I'm not near the computer now), for one. It's also possible it's operator error (a friend who uses older PT suggested not having my input and output be same channel, but I could *swear* I've done this before with no problem. Well, what the heck, I may as well try that before starting all over again.).

Guitates: are you going back to Leopard in the next day or so? If so, I'll be interested in hearing about how it turns out.

Again, the problem is I don't have a Leopard baseline against which to compare the problems I've had with Snow Leopard. And I'm so dang new to PT that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the problem resides in something I've done (e.g., had been running midi tracks; disconnected and moved laptop/drive/MBox P2 to a new room for acoustic recording; then all went south--who knows what might have gone awry in the move?).
Unless you have already done the research and know that it is possible, then don't assume that you will be able to run 10.5.x on a brand new Mac. this typically does not work or it requires extraordinary effort. I believe it has to do with the fact that drivers for the new hardware will not be available in the older version of the OS.. And since Apple controls all the drivers you can't just go and D/L them somewhere...
Old 04-26-2010, 04:21 PM

We need to remember the core difference between Leopard and Snow Leopard:

Leopard: Universal Binary. This means it does everything twice.. in IBM code and Intel code.

Snow Leopard: Releases the strain and future limitations on the obsolete IBM G series chips (G5,G4,etc). Fully supports Intel and possibly AMD in the future. Provides a new api and graphics core which will soon offload CPU processing. Yes, we're still moving forward.

Based on that principle, it is not logical to go backwards. Especially since programming companies like Avid and others are currently working to keep up rather than sit on current versions.