Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Another Neve question

I posted this over in the LE-forum, but I've re-posted it here, hoping to get additional comments:

Sorry, guys, but I need to ask a question that's probably been asked over and over again (and yes; I have done an extensive search, but not found the answers I need.

I'd like to buy a Neve-clone preamp for my project studio, but the choices have me confused. What I'm looking to get, is a good quality preamp that will add some "character"/color and be the main one, for vox, guitar and maybe snare.
The Great River ME-1NV gets good reviews, and is perhaps my number one choice, but this one seems to be somewhat cleaner than the original 1073. Not sure if that's good or bad.
In the same price range you have the Brent Averill 1272; but from what I understand, this does not sound the same as an 1073 when pushed? Somewhat more expensive is the Vintech x73i and the Dual 72.

Since I don't do much EQ'ing on the way in, would I be better of avoiding the Vintech x73i and the likes, since I'm then probably paying for the EQ-section I don't really need?

What is the main differences between these pre's, and which one, if any, would you recommend?

Since I'm living in Norway there's no way I can test any of these, so I need your help.
Any comments are welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Dag

----------------------------------------------------
G5 DP 2.5 GHz 2.5 gig OSX 10.3.8
Digi 002R 6.9
M-Audio Octane
Neumann U87
3 x Octava Mk-012
Rode NT1000
3 x Shure SM 57