Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-13-2019, 10:26 PM

Default Mojave 10.14.5

Of course, 4 days after Avid releases their Mojave-compatible update, Apple rolls out a new Mojave update that makes the qualified 10.14.4 OS a little harder to get and install. I wonder if this one will get qualified quickly. At least one bug fix was related to “audio latency” on 2018 MBPs.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Mojave 10.14.5

Do you need a full Mojave installer or just the .4 update?

If the latter, here ya go.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1996?locale=en_AU

If you need a full installer, that’s a bit trickier. By now, I’d have thought most people using Macs have worked out how Apple rolls in terms of OS releases via the Mac App Store. It’s not that hard to download a full copy of the .0 installer when it’s released and keep a copy on hand. Then it’s just a matter of installing the point combo update and you’re all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 AM

I updated. PT 2019 runs smooth. Even at low buffer size. Really impressed.

Is the second time I find a rock solid MacOs/PT combo. The other one was Sierra/PT 2018.3...if I do remember correct.

The inner me says, you should not update if you find the perfect combo...but I will in the end...."facepalm"
Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Don't remember how many times, but this (macOS 10.14.4 & PT 2019.5) combo seems to be the most stable 64bit so far and very close to the golden OSX 10.6.8 & PT 8.1.1 combo that was the pinnacle of Digidesign TDM era.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Don't remember how many times, but this (macOS 10.14.4 & PT 2019.5) combo seems to be the most stable 64bit so far and very close to the golden OSX 10.6.8 & PT 8.1.1 combo that was the pinnacle of Digidesign TDM era.
I would tend to agree but I've only been banging on it for two days now.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:21 PM

I am still on Sierra and I have about the same amounts of hiccups with 2019.5 as I had with 2018.12. Every few minutes it stops with a four digit error message and some sessions reliably crash PT on quit. Some of the stops are related to graphics like opening some plugin windows. I guess some plugins I use regularly mess with the system- but which ones???

I just (re)did everything in the troubleshooting document to be sure, but that did not help at all.

Do you think I should update to Mojave? I have a compatible graphics card in my 2012 12 core cheese grater. Is there any possible downside to going Mojave, like some plugins still not working?

Phone +46707773443
Old 05-14-2019, 11:25 PM

@Worldstudios. I decently would, but as always, do a backup before.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:53 PM

Actually if you are having serious problems I would NOT *upgrade*. I would do a full clean Mojave install, not an in-situ upgrade.

I would grab an unused spare partition or new drive (ideally a fast SSD) and do a full clean latest Mojave install in it. You download the Mojave full installer like usual from the App Store to your current booted system drive, but when you run it you choose the option to do a new install in another partition, *not* the usual "upgrade" option. Lots of advice online about how to do this... but lots of that also tells you to build a bootable USB installer stick... you don't need to do that with a system that has a bootable disk on it already, just run the Mojave installer there and pick the right option.

Then boot that install (hold down option key while you reboot the Mac and select to boot of the install you just did.) and then do a clean Pro Tools 2019.5 and latest ILM install and test that with Built-In output. If it works install you interface drivers and test them. If that work.. install the laters plugins versions you need using new installers and test. Then any third party apps.. again all from their new latest installers.

Do not use the mac System Migration Assistant (aka Systems Assassin) to move existing application or drivers, it can copy over whatever was messed up on your old boot drive to the new one. I will use System Migration Assistant to migrate users accounts/home directories but then trash prefs or manually delete everything in ~/Library.

I know that is a lot of work, but if you are already having way more problems than other users something may well be messed up on your system and trying to upgrade a messed up system often gets you an upgraded messed up system not an up to date non-messed up system. Many of us do this at every time we do a major macOS upgrade, I sure do (and I defer other upgrades I don't need).

Once you have a fully set up system working great you can clone it back over your standard boot drive if wanted (using Carbon Copy Cloner).

And be sure to have other systems backups before you start, in all this it is easy to make a finger mistake and trash something.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-15-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:12 AM

Thanks for all this detailed info. I think it can not be stated too many times. I know all about this. Over the many years I have run ProTools on MacOS, I have done both and I must say that a clean install is great, but many times a simple update has worked fine for me as well. It will literally take me days to do a clean install. I have all the latest installers saved in a folder for all my plugins. The problem is that there is soooo many of them. Last time I did this, I remember it took me like one day to get everything working - and the another day just to get Komplete to work again. It needs a full reinstallation. Last time I did it, I did not feel it was worth the time spent. It worked just as good/bad as before.

So, perhaps when I have a few days off... Or I could try to do a cheapskate update and if that doesn't help, then do it by the book. That seems like a plan.

I have ultra fast PCI blades with SSD M2 drives on them for my system and audio drive, so I will keep using those.

Phone +46707773443
Old 05-15-2019, 08:42 PM

Is there any brave soul that already installed Mojave 10.4.5 update to see if it brakes anything in PT 2019.5?