Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Default Re: ProTools 8 - Input Monitoring "Off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Where did you read this? That was never promoted in their literature.

Shane
At the AES show it was something that they were saying and I saw a confirmation of it from a Digi person online.

I would like to emphatically second this idea of a "Track Only" monitoring mode. It's exactly what is missing in the current design (and that includes HD). Input Only, Track Only, and Auto Switching between both. There is no reason to not include the Track Only mode as it will be desired for all direct monitoring approaches. I have to constantly hit mute on-the-fly as things stand, and I do this dozens of times a day when doing overdubs.

Put it on the list of absolute must-haves for the next dot release (8.1):

1) Automatic Insert Delay Compensation, with correct hardware compensation
2) Full i/o usage for the M-powered line of products (no 18i/o limit)
3) Offline bounce and track freezing
4) Track Only monitoring mode (mute on punch-in)

None of these should take much in the way of man-hours for Digidesign: if the programmers of the native line say they would need more than a month for that entire list to reach beta tell HR to look for new hires to phase in.

I'd also like to be able to use my 003 Console as a control surface while I'm using the 2626 for 26 i/o (and ideally of course, be able to use the 003's i/o at the same time...yes I have a firewire card to handle the load). And I'd of course like 64 sample hardware buffer enabled for the 2626. And every other HD-only feature should be available at least with the CPTK.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
At the AES show it was something that they were saying and I saw a confirmation of it from a Digi person online.

I would like to emphatically second this idea of a "Track Only" monitoring mode. It's exactly what is missing in the current design (and that includes HD). Input Only, Track Only, and Auto Switching between both. There is no reason to not include the Track Only mode as it will be desired for all direct monitoring approaches. I have to constantly hit mute on-the-fly as things stand, and I do this dozens of times a day when doing overdubs.

Put it on the list of absolute must-haves for the next dot release (8.1):

1) Automatic Insert Delay Compensation, with correct hardware compensation
2) Full i/o usage for the M-powered line of products (no 18i/o limit)
3) Offline bounce and track freezing
4) Track Only monitoring mode (mute on punch-in)

None of these should take much in the way of man-hours for Digidesign: if the programmers of the native line say they would need more than a month for that entire list to reach beta tell HR to look for new hires to phase in.

I'd also like to be able to use my 003 Console as a control surface while I'm using the 2626 for 26 i/o (and ideally of course, be able to use the 003's i/o at the same time...yes I have a firewire card to handle the load). And I'd of course like 64 sample hardware buffer enabled for the 2626. And every other HD-only feature should be available at least with the CPTK.

wow what a thread. by your join date i would think you have been here long enough not to make such silly demands you know wont be met.

adc/pdc...yea they and everyone else has told and heard the story. they will give it to us when they are ready.sad but no other reason. this has by far been the most requested feature for many years.

full i/o of mpowered????? they are not even gonna consider this!!!! they limit the i/o of le on purpose, they are not gonna let mpowered surpass this and especially not infringe on the hd input territory. nice try.

offline bounce/track freeze, once again, been told over and over and we have all heard it and they have told us how rtas plugs wont work for offline, and it seems cpu power is gotten to be so crazy it almost nulls out the point of track freezing.

track only monitoring mode, would be nice, though with le there are very easy ways to deal with this, never tracked with mpowered. i would also like just to have individual track input monitoring and vca faders while we are at it, ooh and copy fader to sends rocks for headphone mixes slowly the hd features will creep down to us....

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 AM

at this point I got so tired of all the issues that I took the plunge and bought a HD system. It is a shame having to spend so much just to get around software limitations, I was perfectly happy with the sound quality and I/O channels and all that but if you are not only doing music for yourself but for other people who pay you it is just not acceptable to have the shortcomings of M-Powered.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
Ok, you got me there. I will admit that I myself have been to a few Digidesign events in the past where features etc were mentioned and they weren't delivered for some odd reason. I can attest to that.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
at this point I got so tired of all the issues that I took the plunge and bought a HD system. It is a shame having to spend so much just to get around software limitations
You get the behavior you reward.

Unfortunately the HD/TDM advocates at digidesign take examples like yours in arguing for the continuation of this nonsense. But it's anecdata. For every one of you, there are ten others who just move to another native DAW (many of those just pirated, making the statistics hard to track) and five more who just curse digidesign every single day they try to use their native crippleware.

Avid has a new CEO and the stock is nearly a penny stock at this point. Everyone's options are underwater. The CEO opened his reign saying there had to be new thinking, and laid off tons of staff and started selling divisions.

Someone brave might be able to secretly make the point to him that an awful lot of short-term revenue could be made by de-crippling the native line and trying to restore customer goodwill in the mass market. He most likely will get enough pushback from the entrenched interests that some developments will have to be cut and management will have to be replaced. But he is operating on borrowed time here and the economy today (music and general) is not going to reward a new high-end line with enough profit to quell the shareholders.

Again I hope he reads these comments, someone ought to forward them to him and show him that this is what the customers are thinking. There are a handful of fanboys here that are digi-fluffers, and then there are a few rich and famous who like exclusivity, but out in the real world where the bulk of revenue lies, most feel as I do.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 PM

ummm... unless i am missing something, they already gave us this.

i have the 2626 and can (theoretically) use 26 i/o at 44.1. i normally work at 88.2 so it offers me 18 i/o.

truth being: i rarely use more than 8 at any one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
full i/o of mpowered????? they are not even gonna consider this!!!! they limit the i/o of le on purpose, they are not gonna let mpowered surpass this and especially not infringe on the hd input territory. nice try.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball73 View Post
ummm... unless i am missing something, they already gave us this.

i have the 2626 and can (theoretically) use 26 i/o at 44.1. i normally work at 88.2 so it offers me 18 i/o.

truth being: i rarely use more than 8 at any one time.
yes they do offer this but it cannot be utilized in digidesign mpowered software. you would have to use ableton, reaper or something like that to use more than 18 inputs at once.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 01-21-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
yes they do offer this but it cannot be utilized in digidesign mpowered software. you would have to use ableton, reaper or something like that to use more than 18 inputs at once.
Yes and the way they did it was they inserted extra bits of code to mute the audio paths in PTMP...everything can be set up in the i/o dialog and the tracks can be armed to record there are just small easily removable breaks in the streams above #18.

Clearly they did it that way so that it would be easy to enable the extra i/o at some later time, e.g. selling an upgrade toolkit or simply when they have a digi-branded native interface that has more i/o so they don't have to suffer the humiliation of an M-audio product out-spec'ing them.

(Which it already in fact does...e.g. S/MUX )
Old 01-19-2010, 05:58 PM

So, I just read most of these posts and the actual question never got answered. Is there a way to turn off input monitoring with pro tools? I use the m-powered version along with the m-audio 2626 and I am monitoring off of the DSP mixer. I can turn off the monitoring with logic but not with pro tools.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM

yeah there is, you need to choose rec on the selected track, then press option k and play and you'll be able to see and hear the input monitoring, press it again to turn it off.