Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 09-02-2016, 10:56 PM

Default Re: S3 AVB not all Macs compatible

Thanks for the clear answer...

I will try the PCIe Route...

Has anyone a tip for a Etherenet PCIe Card with AVB working on Mac OSX?
Someone mentioned the Presto Gigabit PCIe Pro, but on the Product Site from Sonnet, there is no hint, that this card support AVB...
Thx for help

Last edited by TrackerLe; 09-02-2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Ok, good. If you want to use S3 AVB and a switch you need to use an AVB switch connected to Mac and S3. We support this one: http://motu.com/products/avb/avb-switch
Hello,

I just found this thread after purchasing a previously owned S3 and finding that my Mac Pro vintage 2010 is not AVB enabled. If I purchase this Motu AVB switch, will that make my S3 usable with my Mac Pro?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-13-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Alvarez View Post
Hello,

I just found this thread after purchasing a previously owned S3 and finding that my Mac Pro vintage 2010 is not AVB enabled. If I purchase this Motu AVB switch, will that make my S3 usable with my Mac Pro?

Thanks,
Paul
Just to clarify – you can use an S3 with a non-AVB Mac, you just won't be able to use it as an audio interface. Buying an AVB switch will not make a difference to the latter case.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Just to clarify – you can use an S3 with a non-AVB Mac, you just won't be able to use it as an audio interface. Buying an AVB switch will not make a difference to the latter case.
Thanks for the feedback. So, this limits the S3 to the faders and other controls but the I/O is not functional, correct? Which Mac Pro began AVB capability?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. So, this limits the S3 to the faders and other controls but the I/O is not functional, correct?
You got it. That's how I use mine. If you're using HDX/HD Native, the AVB I/O isn't much use anyway, because you can't use it at the same time as the HD engine. (I think you can use the S3 independently as a monitor controller, don't quote me on that – but in any case, you're getting an extra A/D D/A round-trip which I'd want to avoid.)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
You got it. That's how I use mine. If you're using HDX/HD Native, the AVB I/O isn't much use anyway, because you can't use it at the same time as the HD engine. (I think you can use the S3 independently as a monitor controller, don't quote me on that – but in any case, you're getting an extra A/D D/A round-trip which I'd want to avoid.)
Thanks. When did Mac Pro begin supporting AVB?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks. When did Mac Pro begin supporting AVB?
With the trashcan. If the Mac has Thunderbolt, then it supports AVB (irrespective of whether it has on-board Ethernet).
Old 04-14-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
With the trashcan. If the Mac has Thunderbolt, then it supports AVB (irrespective of whether it has on-board Ethernet).
Just saw this on the MOTU site:

Q: Can I use MOTU AVB interfaces on my older Mac that is running OS 10.6 or 10.7 and does not have Thunderbolt ports?

A: Yes (although this is not officially supported. Official support requires 10.8 or later.) USB can be used to connect a Mac to the AVB system for up to 64 channels of input and 64 channels of output (at 44.1 or 48 kHz). Because MOTU AVB interfaces are USB audio class compliant, no driver installation is necessary under Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7. As soon as you plug in the USB cable and switch on the interface, the Mac "sees" all the audio channels and makes them available to your DAW or other Mac audio software. Web app control (for access to device settings, the on-board mixer, etc.) can be accomplished through a direct Ethernet connection from the network port on the interface to the Mac's network port. The Mac accesses the web app (which is being served directly from the interface itself) through the network connection.
----------------------------------------------
Would this make an older non Thunderbolt Mac Pro AVB capable?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Just saw this on the MOTU site:

Q: Can I use MOTU AVB interfaces on my older Mac that is running OS 10.6 or 10.7 and does not have Thunderbolt ports?

A: Yes (although this is not officially supported. Official support requires 10.8 or later.) USB can be used to connect a Mac to the AVB system for up to 64 channels of input and 64 channels of output (at 44.1 or 48 kHz). Because MOTU AVB interfaces are USB audio class compliant, no driver installation is necessary under Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7. As soon as you plug in the USB cable and switch on the interface, the Mac "sees" all the audio channels and makes them available to your DAW or other Mac audio software. Web app control (for access to device settings, the on-board mixer, etc.) can be accomplished through a direct Ethernet connection from the network port on the interface to the Mac's network port. The Mac accesses the web app (which is being served directly from the interface itself) through the network connection.
----------------------------------------------
Would this make an older non Thunderbolt Mac Pro AVB capable?

Thanks,
Paul
I actually tried that (connecting my Ultralite AVB to my Mac Pro via USB, and it in turn to the S3 via Ethernet). I wasn't able to get it to work though, and it's a rather expensive way to use the I/O on the S3. (FWIW, you can access the web app over USB too, so the above text is not completely correct.)