Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Default Re: I could use some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescarecrow View Post
Your computer can't affect the sound quality. It can either run protools or it can't. Only the algorithms in protools (and plugins) and your audio interface have have an effect on sound quality. If your computer can't keep up with protools you will get error messages, choppy playback and stuff like that, but not a crappy sounding mix, that's just not possible.
That's true, but you need a computer that will integrate properly with whatever interface & software you are using. Any system is only as good as it's weakest link, whether it be the software, interface or computer (not too mention other peripherals such as cables, monitors etc).

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 12-03-2011, 06:54 PM

It does appear that Mr. Tebbes may have come to the mistaken conclusion that a new computer will improve his sound...
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescarecrow View Post
Your computer can't affect the sound quality. It can either run protools or it can't. Only the algorithms in protools (and plugins) and your audio interface have have an effect on sound quality.
That's complete BS. I've had Pro Tools sessions that ran without throwing an error yet something was off bad in the mix. Simply restarting PT or rebooting the PC would not resolve the issue.

Just last week I had a high track count session with lots of regions edited to the grid. Just playing through would go okay, but fast stops/starts would cause PT to throw an error. In all this, I could tell there was something audibly wrong. I went through all the steps of changing buffer and cache without improving things. I wracked my brain on things that could possibly have an affect and I eventually wondered what the effect was on having dozens of regions all starting at the same point on the grid at numerous points throughout the song. I went through and staggered all of the region starts so that they were no longer concurrent and it solved the problem I was hearing.

I do have a supported system, Pro Tools was not set to ignore errors, the badness I heard was not just centered around the region starts, and I could hear the difference when the badness went away.

Ultimately, was the problem with PT or my PC? I don't know nor do I care. I just know that there are instances when supposedly neutral issues do have a deleterious effect.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 12-05-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
That's complete BS. I've had Pro Tools sessions that ran without throwing an error yet something was off bad in the mix. Simply restarting PT or rebooting the PC would not resolve the issue.

Just last week I had a high track count session with lots of regions edited to the grid. Just playing through would go okay, but fast stops/starts would cause PT to throw an error. In all this, I could tell there was something audibly wrong. I went through all the steps of changing buffer and cache without improving things. I wracked my brain on things that could possibly have an affect and I eventually wondered what the effect was on having dozens of regions all starting at the same point on the grid at numerous points throughout the song. I went through and staggered all of the region starts so that they were no longer concurrent and it solved the problem I was hearing.

I do have a supported system, Pro Tools was not set to ignore errors, the badness I heard was not just centered around the region starts, and I could hear the difference when the badness went away.

Ultimately, was the problem with PT or my PC? I don't know nor do I care. I just know that there are instances when supposedly neutral issues do have a deleterious effect.

But still,,,,?? I'm not sure its a good idea to think that a new PC will change the output 'sound' of a song? Back in 'the day', when the 1st 001 came out. I read a lot on the DUC before my 1st PC build for PT's. And there were things (rumors) mentioned, like,,, 'a guy I know has the same PC build as mine, and the sound is a little different'. It was discussed a little and then I have'nt seen anything written about it since? But as mentioned above, there are sooo many variables from the room, mic, pre's, etc. to the CD, and yet the code created on PT's I would think is not gonna be that different!!??
I myself am not smart enough to suggest one way or the other!!! I would just be careful before spending money, and finding out,,,, there just isn't any change in the end results!

Best of luck,,,, and please let us know what you find, Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |