Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools MP 9 freezes (Not Responding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You asked if extra space on a disk would cause problems a of if that was "bull". I clarified what part of the bull it was. You, or whoever you are listening to is just creating meaningless things to about that is wasting your time finding a resolution. My other point was not about all optimizations it was about making sure the system meets the disk specs/requirements and is layed out with a separate dedicated audio drive etc. (and yes Avid often does not make it clear this may apply to MP versions but it does).

I am still having trouble following exactly what disks you have now and exactly what is stored on what drive. Do I cannot offer you specific advice. We know you are buying another drive but exactly what is on each drive? Ideally run another Sandra report with all drives attached and tell us what is on each one.

Darryl
Thank you for being understanding. Now, a fellow engineer, who works at Guitar Center in the Pro Audio area suggested that to much space (free space) would cause Pro Tools to freeze. He suggested I pull my second hard drive, which at that point in time was The dreadful WD green 1tb 5400rpm. I pulled it and ran everything of the single seagate barracuda 1tb 7200rpm drive. It worked better cutting the freeze time down to about 2 to 3 minuets. But still freezing. Then today I decided to purchase a new second hard drive. Another seagate barracuda 7200 rpm but only 500gb. Same freezing problem. Back to at least 5 minuets not responding time. When Avid support went into my computer he changed everything around that they suggest to be done, which wasn't much because I had already followed all steps required. The tech said it seems as if Pro Tools is being pulled away, as if some other program is fighting for control. Like a simple conflict with in Pro Tools. Now when he pulled up the task manager to check what else was running and how much CPU was being used we were shocked to see that nothing else was running that shouldn't be running. He said it seemed as if Pro Tools is working fine but just cant get out of the freezing pattern. His suggestion was to switch hard drives and make the 7200rpm hard drive my main drive. So I cloned disks, switched the OS to the Barracuda and used the WD as the save session disk. Same problem. Then yesterday This thread suggested getting rid of the WD and getting a 7200 rpm drive to record to. Which I did, and the same problem persists. As far as the Sandra report, I can not produce the report. I get the failed messages which I posted in this thread. The original Sandra report is posted on page 1 of this thread. The only new addition is Im not using the WD anymore. I have 2 seagate barracudas running 7200rpm each one has 1 TB the other 500GB. As far as I know, and everyone else that has checked out my computer and my issue, we all are stumped. My computer has the AMD Phenom ll X4 quad core processor which runs at 2.60ghz. I have 8 gigs of ram, ATI Raedon HD 4350 video card. Everything is up to date. My computer should run Pro Tools MP9, as stated before I successfully ran Pro Tools essentials 8, FL studio 9, Sonar Cakewalk 8 producer addition and Line 6 POD Farm 2.0 all on just the WD drive. There is no way that getting rid of all those programs and upgrading my hard drives still cant run PTMP 9.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
You asked if extra space on a disk would cause problems a of if that was "bull". I clarified what part of the bull it was. You, or whoever you are listening to is just creating meaningless things to about that is wasting your time finding a resolution. My other point was not about all optimizations it was about making sure the system meets the disk specs/requirements and is layed out with a separate dedicated audio drive etc. (and yes Avid often does not make it clear this may apply to MP versions but it does).

I am still having trouble following exactly what disks you have now and exactly what is stored on what drive. Do I cannot offer you specific advice. We know you are buying another drive but exactly what is on each drive? Ideally run another Sandra report with all drives attached and tell us what is on each one.

Darryl
The only things on the disks are the basic drivers needed and the OS. There is 61.0 GB used on the Seagate 1tb 7200 rpm drive. Which is the main drive running the OS. All bulk ware has been removed. All other recording programs have been removed and deleted. The second Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500gb has nothing on it at all. Its completely set and ready for use. I have yet to successfully finish a session therefor there is no preferences or data on the drive. I truly wish I could produce another Sandra report, but every time I open Sandra it fails (see page 2 for error reports on Sandra) I tried to reinstall Sandra again, the newest version, and got the same message. This time it gave me the chance to click details about said fail and this is what it says.

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREBC0.tmp.WER InternalMetadata.xml
C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Local\Temp\WER431.tmp.appc ompat.txt
C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Local\Temp\WER48F.tmp.mdmp

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...8&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Here is the link to the Youtube I made showing everyone whats going on. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UlpksWo0Vk
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopesfall6x6x6 View Post
Here is the link to the Youtube I made showing everyone whats going on. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UlpksWo0Vk
Unfortunately the resolution is not high enough to see many of the details of things on the screen.

So my suggestions are to try all the following, yes I know this is frustrating if you have done this before, ...

0. Fully uninstall any and all antivirus software you have installed. To many times people think they have disabled this and have not. Some AV software can also just seemed to go psycho at times even if there is nothing really wrong.

1. trash all Pro Tools preferences, databases etc. does not matter how many times you've' done this, do it again, and carefully follow the "help us help yu
above documentation above do this.

3. I have suspicions this is *not* disk IO related (the video really helped clear up what you are seeing), but make sure you dont' have anything like Google Desktop Search installed/enabled (just full uninstall it) or Windows desktop search enabled. The indexing for that software can grind a system to its knees an certainly cause pauses -- do you hear the disks chirping away when Pro Tools pauses like this?

4. Remove *all* plugins (move them out of the c:/Program Files/Common Files/Digidesign/DAE/Plug-ins folder to a temp folder, start Pro Tools, verify no plugins load) and see if this problem goes away. Yes even with no session open, and no plugins inserted on a track, a bad plugin could do what you are seeing.

5. Look in the system event log for any "interesting" looking events and/or just copy that here... Reboot the machine and start pro tools then post a copy of all the events during that cycle here.

If it was me I'd be poking around in Windows to try to work out what is going on when the process pauses, I can't recall if the ultra-handy SysInternals process monitor will work OK with Pro Tools. Try the above steps first.

BTW can you do an full uninstall and reinstall of Sandra and does that get it working?

Darryl
Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately the resolution is not high enough to see many of the details of things on the screen.

So my suggestions are to try all the following, yes I know this is frustrating if you have done this before, ...

0. Fully uninstall any and all antivirus software you have installed. To many times people think they have disabled this and have not. Some AV software can also just seemed to go psycho at times even if there is nothing really wrong.

1. trash all Pro Tools preferences, databases etc. does not matter how many times you've' done this, do it again, and carefully follow the "help us help yu
above documentation above do this.

3. I have suspicions this is *not* disk IO related (the video really helped clear up what you are seeing), but make sure you dont' have anything like Google Desktop Search installed/enabled (just full uninstall it) or Windows desktop search enabled. The indexing for that software can grind a system to its knees an certainly cause pauses -- do you hear the disks chirping away when Pro Tools pauses like this?

4. Remove *all* plugins (move them out of the c:/Program Files/Common Files/Digidesign/DAE/Plug-ins folder to a temp folder, start Pro Tools, verify no plugins load) and see if this problem goes away. Yes even with no session open, and no plugins inserted on a track, a bad plugin could do what you are seeing.

5. Look in the system event log for any "interesting" looking events and/or just copy that here... Reboot the machine and start pro tools then post a copy of all the events during that cycle here.

If it was me I'd be poking around in Windows to try to work out what is going on when the process pauses, I can't recall if the ultra-handy SysInternals process monitor will work OK with Pro Tools. Try the above steps first.

BTW can you do an full uninstall and reinstall of Sandra and does that get it working?

Darryl
Alright, I'm gunna tackle what you said to do. Even with a fresh install of Sandra it still fails. I tried that 4 times. That's installing Sandra, failing, uninstalling Sandra, reinstalling Sandra and failing again. If you need me to I can make a video of me downloading Sandra and trying to run it. If you want me to. But I actually got an offer today to swap computers with someone. He has a computer he used for DJing. Its a custom PC he built. Has a quad core intel processor (not sure which one) It meets all the requirements except the Ram requirements. It only has 3. But I can easily upgrade that to 8. So first thing on my list is to try what you suggested and if it doesn't work I'm going to go check out this computer and see how it runs pro tools mp 9.

This is the computer
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/sys/3525374990.html

I know it lacks information but I have been messaging him back getting info about it. It sounds good.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopesfall6x6x6 View Post
Alright, I'm gunna tackle what you said to do. Even with a fresh install of Sandra it still fails. I tried that 4 times. That's installing Sandra, failing, uninstalling Sandra, reinstalling Sandra and failing again. If you need me to I can make a video of me downloading Sandra and trying to run it. If you want me to. But I actually got an offer today to swap computers with someone. He has a computer he used for DJing. Its a custom PC he built. Has a quad core intel processor (not sure which one) It meets all the requirements except the Ram requirements. It only has 3. But I can easily upgrade that to 8. So first thing on my list is to try what you suggested and if it doesn't work I'm going to go check out this computer and see how it runs pro tools mp 9.

This is the computer
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/sys/3525374990.html

I know it lacks information but I have been messaging him back getting info about it. It sounds good.
If you grab his computer, try to get all the DIMMs the same size/timing/vendor (just buy matched pairs--assuming its a dual memory channel single socket processor). Just buy all new DIMMs since they are so cheap. make sure you have at least two drives, 7,200 rpm, you know all that stuff by now...

Darryl
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
If you grab his computer, try to get all the DIMMs the same size/timing/vendor (just buy matched pairs--assuming its a dual memory channel single socket processor). Just buy all new DIMMs since they are so cheap. make sure you have at least two drives, 7,200 rpm, you know all that stuff by now...

Darryl
yeah hes got 2 7200rpm 500gb drives in it already. So I should be okay with them.