Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2009, 04:58 AM

Default Volume settings not consistent

Anybody finding that volume settings can change from day to day? For instance, had my band miked for practice. When we got together a couple of days later, the bass mic was WAY too hot. The volume on the Sytek was at 12 o'clock and i had to pull it all the way down to 7 o'clock which barely got it below peaking in ProTools. I've had the same problem with Seventh Circle Audio pres as well. My Syteks are running into the Analog 5-8 and my SCA's are running optical thru an RME Octomic so it seems like it must be a problem with the unit. I did have a BLA mod so maybe that's the problem? I talked to someone else who had similar stories so I'm just wondering if it's a widespread thing and if anyone knows a solution.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-15-2009, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Volume settings not consistent

By the way, running 2.8 8 core G5 with an 002.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Walldorf View Post
By the way, running 2.8 8 core G5 with an 002.
There is no such computer... MacPro?

Are you saying this is happening on different sources or just bass?

Gain staging happens at every point in the signal chain starting with the bass player's fingers, then the volume knob on the guit, then his effects, then the amp input level, then the built in eq, etc etc etc.. Are you saying that you have control over every one of those stages and are confident that nothing has changed and you can narrow it down to the 002 or your preamps?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 AM

Yeah. Sorry. 2x2.8 Quad Core Intel. Wasn't in front of the computer. I've got three computers and get mixed up with all 2x, Quad, Dual, Power, double 8 cores etc.

And while I do not have control over the bass player's fingers, he said his volume nob was all the way up and his amp level hadn't changed but it was night and day difference on the ProTools input. Obviously, his playing volume could have varied but it was a major leap on the input. He could have even tweaked his amp, but it would have been deafening in the room had his output changed that much. Going from comfortably in the yellow one day to absolutely pinned into the red. I hadn't changed the pre level and had opened up the same project. Also has happened with a single mic on drums through the SCA pres playing at a normal volume. I usually push the gain very hot on that one which makes the output extremely sensitive so I chalked that up to it somehow barely got moved. When it happened with the Sytek I began to wonder. Two different pres thru different signal paths having the same problem.

Again the Syteks thru Analog 5-8 and the SCA's thru an RME and out optical into ProTools.

I've also had problems with the Sytek and the SCA having their input being too hot. Sometimes I can't mic a tom or snare with the Sytek as it peaks in ProTools with the volume all the way down. I just got two SCA A12's and had to buy an attenuator as an acoustic guitar was peaking out with the 6db output and gain all the way down. The attenuator is on -30db which seems to give me reasonable gain control. Hadn't had that problem before with the SCA as my N72 has a full fader.

When I was buying the attenuator, I talked to the salesman - a knowledgeable guy at a reputable company - who said he had had some puzzling and substantial volume changes as well while doing several weeks of remote recording for a band. He'd also had the 002 and the Signature BLA mod. I just got the regular mod they were offering 2 or so years ago.

Thanks,
Chris