Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 04:35 PM

Default New successor to the Mbox soon?

I'm wondering if anyone has any info on a new piece coming out to replace the Mbox. The current version has been out since spring of 2002, so it's getting a little long in the tooth at this point. I've also heard some rumblings through the grapevine that some dealers are thinning their stock on existing Mbox's possibly to make way for something coming in the near future. Anyone have any other info or care to speculate with reckless abandon as to when and what we might find on a new Mbox?
Old 07-09-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: New successor to the Mbox soon?

IMO the Mbox is being phased out by the M-audio/M-Powered line and there probably isn't going to be a new one. That's just a somewhat educated guess though.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:10 PM

Yes, something like the Focusrite Saffire would be nice. I'm not fond of m-audio interfaces.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:13 PM

I think that this would be a new product offering that is seperate from the M-Audio/M-Powered lineup. I get the feeling from what I've heard that there will be a direct replacement for the Mbox. At first I thought that they might offer a product that would fill the price gap between the Mbox and the 002R, but it wouldn't make sense to phase out inventory of Mbox's for a product that would simply fit into the existing product lineup. Anybody else have other info?
Old 07-09-2005, 11:51 PM

Let's hope the replacement is Firewire not USB2.0.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Let's hope the replacement is Firewire not USB2.0.
There's a possibility USB 2.0 would work well. Very few audio interfaces (maybe one) have tried. But Firewire would be my choice. And if it was all on one board, it wouldn't need a power harness.

Old 07-10-2005, 08:11 AM

maybe we will see some news at the summer namm?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:50 AM

In a perfect world (or more specifically, "what I want is..." ;p), the MBox would be scrapped along with the Digi 002 + Digi 002R. To fill the entry level consumer demand for PT, Digi would rely on M-Powered devices. For a portable PT LE interface, Digi would release a new, small and portable firewire interface with higher quality mic pre's, even if there are only 2. Also onboard DSP similar to the Saffire would be nice. Now, to replace the 002 models, an 003 or whatever name they want should be released as a 1 or 2U rackmout unit. However instead of firewire, it must connect through PCI with TDM capabilities. Perhaps a 'lite' TDM system with less power than an Accel card, but the functionality to provide more power tp the more serious project studio users. Near zero-latency monitoring like HD, as well as the ability to record reliably @ 192k, and the use of TDM plugs. Last, LE software should be bumped up to allow at least 48 tracks, while M-Powered will remain at the current limits.

If there were a 'lite' TDM unit offered of course it cost much more than a 002, but the benefits would be worth it for those who need the extra capabilities, but don't have the money for HD. I think $3k would be reasonable.

I'd give mad props to Digi if they did this.
-G
Old 07-10-2005, 12:21 PM

i think they should make whatever comes next PCI. Or whatever is replacing PCI.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:10 PM

PCI, or PCI express wouldn't really work if you were using it as a mobile interface with a laptop. USB2.0, or FireWire is the best solution.

I would like to see an MBox replacement on the low end, with vertually the same specs, except that it will record at 96KHz (just to make the whole LE line uniform), two XLR ins, and would have four 1/4" TRS ins, and S/PDIF in as well, allowing access to recording eight channels total on the low end insterface. Also a MIDI in and out would be good. It should also be built so that you can rack mount it if nessecary, so say a half rack space tall/wide at most. Oh, and get rid of that stupid Mix knob--absolutely useless.

The other thing that I would really like to see is a type II PC card that you can use with a laptop as a Protools dongle that would allow you to mix and edit with out having to connect to an MBox, or Digi 002/002R. It could have one 1/4" input that can be switched between mic, line and HiZ, and one 1/4" output for headphones, or a set of PC speakers.

This they could charge say $150 for, and not even sell it with Protools. Just have it be an additional piece of hardware for people that already have another Protools LE system.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One