Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 05:09 PM

Default MBOX 3 Flashing Lights Sequence / Not being recognized

Hi All, I have problem with my Mbox3.

1. The MBOX working fine prior to to the last few days
- It was working fine for the last year when I used it with just my speakers.

-I only just now got my Condenser Mic and after using it with the MBox for a few days the Mbox stopped working

2. The Mbox only works for the first 5 minutes

-When I plug in my Mbox, the computer recognized it and it works fine

-2 or 3 minutes after I turn on the Microphone in the middle of monitoring/recording I receive a message that goes something like

" Failed to open Mbox "

3. After this the my computer fails to recognize the M Box

- I have tried 3 different cables, but nothing I do makes the computer recognize it again

-After about 10-20 tries of plugging out and repplugging in I begin to get the famous flashing light sequence

Systems Specs:
-MBOX 3
-Toshiba i7 8GB ram

-Michrophone: Rhode NT1a Michrophone
-Software: Ableton 9, Reason 5, Reaper
Old 05-30-2016, 05:16 PM

Default Re: MBOX 3 Flashing Lights Sequence / Not being recognized

Also I have tried updating my USB drivers, My Mbox 3 Drivers, My ASIO4all Driversm
Old 05-30-2016, 05:33 PM

Similar Reports/Solutions
  • 1. "Use A Port Replicator / USB Hub / USB Card"

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=310637

"When I connected the replicator, the problem went away and the machine now works ok."

Basically this thread explains that the problem may be that the Mbox draws more current than the USB Drive can handle and so it shuts down. Some users suggest buying usb hub or card as they would provide more power than the one that comes with the laptop.

Please note that I am NOT saying that USB power is always the cause of the failures & that the powered hub will fix all instances of 'light show' or 'hardware not found.' It is just one of the fixes.

if you are experiencing this problem, check the power management EVEN IF YOU AT ONE TIME TURNED IT OFF!

I will now test this solution.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:19 AM

How did this work for you? I had a similar issue. Were you plugging in the mic before turning on phantom power? I made the mistake of plugging in a condenser with phantom power on and got the blinking lights as well.

Plugged into a PC, the Mbox was fine. I called customer support, which spent 2 hours uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. Then, he created another administrator account on my laptop, which magically reset the Mbox to be recognized again. Why this worked, neither he nor I know. Everything works fine now, even in my original account. The rep recommended that I move everything over the new one that he created just to be on the safe side, but I am wondering if that will make a difference.

From what I have read, attempting to plug in with phantom power on may cause signals to be rerouted. The Mbox, as a result, attempted pulling more power from my laptop than my USB ports would allow. This resulted in the lights flashing as if it were attempting to start up. When a new user account was created on my MAC, it must have reset the signals. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Macbook Pro
El Capitan
Pro Tools LE 12.5