Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Default CLIPS and DUPLICATES: once again a problem

Hi there,

for years and years I had never a problem handling with Pro Tools session;

let me explain what I do.

For some reason, I need to have a clip and his duplicated named -01 into the track.

To do that I always have drag and drop from a folder all the files I need into the Clips window (allowing Automatically Copy files on import) 2,3,4... any times I need, in order to have "originalfile" "originalfile-01" "originalefile-02"...etc

Now it seems that it doesn't work anymore.

After I have imported the files for the first time, I can do that for the duplicates anymore and I only have in my clips window only the original...

What do I wrong? I'm freakin' out to solve this... but nothing for the moment.

Please HELP!!!
Old 04-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Default Re: CLIPS and DUPLICATES: once again a problem

Can I ask why you need identical duplicates of the files in your session? Why can’t you just duplicate the region in your session?

The way you’re doing it is using 2, 3, 4, 5 etc, times the space on your hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2019, 07:40 AM

Why can’t you just duplicate the region in your session?

The fact is that I need all the duplicated clips close to the original for a workflow reason.

And in the past it's always works... I had in the clip window the original file and the -01, -02,,,, and after that I used to take all the clips and put them in a single track in order to have all the duplicates near the original, and after with the find remove all the duplicates I want (just kept original and -01) in order to have enough space during the recording between a track and another and a muted copy of the original.

I hope to be clearer.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 AM

Right. But could you explain your ‘workflow reason’? I’m struggling to comprehend why you need physical duplicates of the file in your session when you could simply duplicate the clip in PT and not be wasting 5 times the hard drive space.

If you REALLY want duplicates, just duplicate the region in PT, highlight the file, consolidate and you’ll have a duplicate with a different name. Same goes with using an Audiosuite plugin like Gain, but not changing any parameters. Render the file and you’ll have a duplicate with a modified ending of the file name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Hi Sardi,

I understand your point of view, that is natural if you don't work on such crazy branch as me

By the way, I want to explain all the flow:

First of all, you have to know that currently I work with huge volume of files and sessions (more than 100k files and more than 50 PT Sessions for several languages), then the way you suggest me would be too slow on preproduction.

But, now I show you the flow:

- I rename all the files (following the sequence of a script in order to have a correspondence between script and audio) and put 0000n_ at head of filename.

- I drag and drop (I have to use the past tense since it doesn't work anymore) all the files into the clip window for 5 times, in order to have "file"-"file-01"-"file-02"-"file-03","file-04".

-I create only two tracks on the edit window and drag all the clips into the first track (slip mode)

-In the clip window I erase all the duplicated files (from -04 to -02) and keep only original file and -01

-I select all the -01 files and with Object Grab I move all the files on the second track and mute that

-At the end I have one track with the original source file and a muted track with the duplicates.

I use 4 times the same files in order to have enough space between a file and the next one.

By words, it seems a very long task, but I assure you for this kind of production is the quickest and works well.

I hope my explanation is more detailed and wish you have understood this "flow".

By the way, my problem now is that into the cliplist I can't drag and drop more than one time the same file, and I don't know which is the source of the issue.

In the attachment a very quick example to see what at the end the session becomes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example.jpg (26.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-12-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feved View Post
I show you the flow:

- I rename all the files (following the sequence of a script in order to have a correspondence between script and audio) and put 0000n_ at head of filename.

- I drag and drop (I have to use the past tense since it doesn't work anymore) all the files into the clip window for 5 times, in order to have "file"-"file-01"-"file-02"-"file-03","file-04".

-I create only two tracks on the edit window and drag all the clips into the first track (slip mode)

-In the clip window I erase all the duplicated files (from -04 to -02) and keep only original file and -01

-I select all the -01 files and with Object Grab I move all the files on the second track and mute that

-At the end I have one track with the original source file and a muted track with the duplicates.

I use 4 times the same files in order to have enough space between a file and the next one.

By words, it seems a very long task, but I assure you for this kind of production is the quickest and works well.

I hope my explanation is more detailed and wish you have understood this "flow".
OK. Now I understand.

Yes, AFAIK, there is no elegant way of achieving this in Pro Tools as if you duplicate the regions, the duplicates will appear in the order of the timeline. So 1-10, then 1-10 again etc. where as you want 1, 1, 1, 1 then 2, 2, 2, 2 etc. I tried using the object grabber and even if you try looping the audio, it's the same outcome. So yes, tedious as it may be, I think the way you're doing it is the only viable way.

Quote:
By the way, my problem now is that into the cliplist I can't drag and drop more than one time the same file, and I don't know which is the source of the issue.
In experimenting a way for you to not have to use multiple audio files, I think I accidentally stumbled across the issue you're having.

What you want is this.

But what is happening is this.

The difference here is that when it works, I'm dragging and dropping the files wav files from a location on my hard drive. When it's not working, I'm dragging and dropping an already imported bunch of clips from the sessions audio folder. Is this what you're doing?

If so, you may need to drag and drop the original files prior to importing them into that session. If you've created them in that session, then the same issue may happen. It did for me. This could have something to do with time stamping, although that usually throws up an error. Unsure. if it does happen, I suggest batch converting the files from WAV to AIFF and then dragging those in to the session.

Hopefully that helps.

Last edited by Sardi; 04-15-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:53 AM

Hi Sardi,

unfortunately images you linked expired, but you have understood my point of view.
From the moment I solved the issue with Import Audio (5 times), sorting them per File Name into Clip List and then grab.
It's a little bit slower, but it works.

Tomorrow I want to try the way you've suggested!

Thanks and have a great... weekend!!!
Old 04-15-2019, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feved View Post
unfortunately images you linked expired, but you have understood my point of view.
Sorry bout that. Thought the site held them indefinitely. Have updated the images so you should able to see them now.