Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Pro tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
I have read all this thread and I would say, in conclusion (I hope my english will be correct here):

1) Avid takes the road he sees in the development, consistent with his equipment and his strong position in the studios. We can not blame him for that.

2) It can be blamed however 3 points:

a) its complex software pricing that looks like a scam (as seen by a large number of customers: disturbing!)

b) its aggressive marketing, which aggravates the perception of the scam and creates many illusions (always disappointed).

c) its total deafness in terms of the new needs of its customers, lit by the development of its competitors. As if Pro Tools was perfect and could sleep in this state, which of course is a huge mistake (even if its negative effects do not show up immediately). This is for me the most serious point.

That's why after trying Cubase, now abandoned (I do not like his monitoring a little loudness: license to sell!), I'm in Samplitude. It is not as rational as Pro Tools in its interface, but it is generous and very refined in its functions and possibilities. And a very high quality of monitoring, conversion, etc. + ARA functions, Sonnox restore suite, etc. And on the cost side, it's the other world.
Well I think your English is just fine, the points you make are to the point IMO, I work in Post music in LA, and we just have to have PT, but this will be the last time I renew my subscription, for the creative side,I chose the new LPX, it has everything I need, and Eucon is implemented very well in it
Windows 10 Pro
2013 MacBook Pro Retina i7 Quad-core, 16gb ram.
Mac OSX 10.11.6
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 128 GB 1866 MHZ DDR3
Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB

PT Ultimate 2022.4.0 on Mac
PT Ultimate 2020.12 on Windows
Logic Pro X 10.6
Nuendo 12.0
1_Antelope Audio_Orion Synergy Core Studio
Old 01-30-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzbass56 View Post
Well I think your English is just fine, the points you make are to the point IMO, I work in Post music in LA, and we just have to have PT, but this will be the last time I renew my subscription, for the creative side,I chose the new LPX, it has everything I need, and Eucon is implemented very well in it

Thank you. The new Logic pro x? If a production of Adèle was made with, it must be not bad!
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 01-30-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Thank you. The new Logic pro x? If a production of Adèle was made with, it must be not bad!
The mock up was done on Logic. Everything you hear was done on Pro Tools. Sorry to hi jack your dreams.

And I will open a cans of worms. Logic doesn't even come close to PT mixing engine. And of course, IMO.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
The mock up was done on Logic. Everything you hear was done on Pro Tools. Sorry to hi jack your dreams.

And I will open a cans of worms. Logic doesn't even come close to PT mixing engine. And of course, IMO.

Ok, I did not know. Marketing ....

It does not change anything for me, but maybe for our friend from LA.

I would like to say that I like PT a lot, of course. I learned about PT. But what I explained earlier is something else. I'm on PT every day, but I'm slowly learning Samplitude. Many beautiful things.

• Etc.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:04 PM

I've been using the combination of Pro Tools and Samplitude for the past 16 years since ditching Apple. The two compliment each other incredibly well although I don't think either one can replace the other.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog orange View Post
I’m just really hoping that the new smooth playback “feature” is just code for “our audio engine is finally as good as every other daw 10 years ago”. I’d be fine with that.
I admire your optimism.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:48 AM

Sorry, I didn't read through the whole thread so I may be echoing what has been mentioned before.

I have a hunch this is partly just Avid's awkward way of levelling the playing field between their Native and DSP products, which I think is a positive move.

Before, on HD Native or Ultimate with a third party interface, you could not go beyond 256 voices, right?
Now both HDX1 and Native get a bump, but where you previously could expand your voices only on an HDX system and only by adding additional cards, you now have the option to do it via software only. (of course this doesn't expand your IO, only the internal voice capacity)
I know the payed voice packs seem like a rip off to Music users, but I doubt many stereo music users will need to go beyond 384 voices anyway. Only some will.
For post people, this might be very welcome though.

Besides, have they announced the buy/rental prices of these voice packs yet?
Maybe it will be affordable (although I'm not confident considering the insulting rates they charge for cloud project storage).

Still, if anything, the rays of sunshine I see emerging from the dark clouds most of you seem to see, is that Avid is upgrading Native to be on par with DSP.
I think that's telling for where they are heading and I like it.

I guess it means that both the HD Native and HDX products will now be able to run in some sort of hybrid mode? Where part of the voices are being hosted by the FPGA/DSP and part by the host computer? Because I don't see how you could go far beyond that base amount of voices on the HD Native or HDX chips...
Whatever it is, it is interesting. Weird, but interesting.

As an (HD) native Ultimate user at least.

Last edited by ~ufo~; 01-31-2019 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
go beyond 265 voices
256 that is :)

Quote:
Besides, have they announced the buy/rental prices of these voice packs yet?
No. But I don't see "tens" but rather "hundreds" as a ballpark, because if they do this it likely requires ilok license like DigiLink or HEAT

Quote:
Avid is upgrading Native to be on par with DSP.
I think that's telling for where they are heading and I like it.
That one has been a given since PT9 -- when it first was possible to take a HD session back home to a native system, it was crucial that such sessions opened. So HDN basically "has to" follow HDX1 numbers more or less... which is fine of course.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:30 AM

Agreed. I guess time will tell!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I've been using the combination of Pro Tools and Samplitude for the past 16 years since ditching Apple. The two compliment each other incredibly well although I don't think either one can replace the other.

Hello Bob. Well ! Very interesting. In short, what does Samplitude not do? You mean the connection with the hardware or something? I'm interested. I am in this situation more and more.

• Etc.