Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-03-2020, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Time Shift Plug-In fps change

Don't want to hijack the conversation, but considering we are on topic.... what's your best recipe for pal to film.... slowing down while preserving pitch, to my ears, is far more challenging....
Old 12-04-2020, 10:59 AM

I think it is best to print stems of the film - Dialogue, Effects, Music -- then process them separately.

First, do the Sample Rate Pull to get the files to time. This will change the pitch, but it accurately renders the timing without artifacts.

Then, use different algorithms to pitch the various stems, one at a time. I have found Time Factory 2 to have the best set I have heard. Music seems to be the most challenging. For that, I like the ZTX algo set to Classics and Best. Warning, it takes a loooooooong time. But it is pretty transparent to my ear -- no weird warbling and preserves transients. For DX and FX, you don't have to be so drastic. Fo DX, ZTX smooth/good seems fine. Sometimes I don't pitch the FX, they sound fine as is. Up to you.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-05-2020, 02:44 AM

Thank you Tom.
I have been lucky enough not to have to run any 25 to 24 fps for a very long while and I was still stuck in a single pass process, for each stem, through Pitch'n'Time Pro, that didn't really sound right to my ears.... I'll try and demo TimeFactory and give it a try.
Thanks!!
Cheers