Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2017, 05:27 PM

Default Studio Wiring

This is my first time wiring up something as serious as this and as I've added more gear it's only become more complicated.

So this is my current set up:

AVID HDX System
Dangerous Monitor S/T
Yamaha P2200 M > NS10m's
Avantone Active Mixcube Pair
KRK Rokit 5
Misc. Outboard and Synth Gear

I have one idea of how it's supposed to be wired up but am unsure if it's correct. Hopefully what I say makes sense.

HD I/O Analog Out using DB25 XLR cable with outputs 1 & 2 to the AUX Input of Dangerous (with the remainder of the XLR outs going to the inputs of my outboard.) Then out from the Dangerous DB25 Out using XLR to the inputs of all my monitors. My problem is the cable wouldn't be able to reach all the inputs of my monitors and yamaha amp as it would be limited by the sheathing of the cable so would I have to use some sort of xlr extension cable to run to my other monitors? My worry is signal degradation/loss as well as the possibility of introducing noise into my system by having a longer cable run.

I also have a Redco 96pt TT patchbay but throwing that into the mix of wiring everything up only adds to the confusion. If I was to use my patchbay which I would like to and intend to, I'm assuming the patchbay would be the first in line of everything? Meaning everything from my HD I/O goes directly to the patchbay where it would get individually routed to my outboard and dangerous?

EDIT: I guess the xlr aux input on the dangerous is used mostly for cue/talkback, etc. for the so I would have to use the DB25 input, so this changes everything, so using the patchbay, I would go HD I/O > PATCHBAY > DANGEROUS ?

Last edited by imgarrett; 01-25-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Studio Wiring

Don't worry about the length of your XLR cables. As long as you are using quality cable and the ground is connected and the shield and other conductors are intact, there won't be any perceptible noise or signal degradation. You can run thousands of feet of shielded XLR cable without introducing any noise. Obviously, you want to make sure that your cables are not damaged and all 3 pins are connected properly and that there are not any high voltage power supplies close by, and that your audio gear is not on the same AC circuit as stuff like lights or HVAC, etc...

And you don't need to worry about extending the XLR breakouts either. Putting a few feet of extra cable won't make any measurable difference in the time it takes your audio to reach your other monitors. Electrical signals travel through copper wire at about 2/3 the speed of light (the speed of light being roughly 186,000 miles per second). Your cable extensions won't make a bit of difference to what you hear.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-25-2017, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Studio Wiring

Solder the connectors yourself -- or if you can't, buy such cables that are made by human, not machine