Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 AM

Default Running multiple versions of Pro Tools

Hi all

The question: Has anyone had any experience of running different Pro Tools versions side by side on the same Windows OS?

I'm finally upgrading my DAW to Pro Tools 10 from 7.4 M-powered. The main reason is that I'm going on tour and don't want to drag my Firewire 410 around with me.

But the last time I upgraded I had a nightmare with my existing sessions as so many plug-ins failed to work on the new version, I spent weeks trying to get back to where I was before the upgrade.

So I was thinking that I'd love to be able to install Pro Tools 10 alongside my existing installation of 7.4 (I have bought a new license, not an upgrade after all).

I'd rather not dual boot my operating system. Last time I tried that I couldn't get all the right drivers for my laptop - Dell were just expecting their users to use the system restore CD to reinstall the OS (not to install a new one)

So I was just wondering if anyone had tried this kind of thing and if there were any tips to help me on my way? If not, I'd better get committing everything to disk while I wait for my PT10 DVD to arrive.

Thanks in advance.

Dicky
Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Running multiple versions of Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scintillaterich View Post
Hi all

The question: Has anyone had any experience of running different Pro Tools versions side by side on the same Windows OS?
Nope, impossible.

You have to dual boot if you want two versions of Pro Tools.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM

..or do what I do. My system drive(actually all drives) is in a SATA drive cage for easy removal. If I want to use an older version, I just swap system drives. I keep several(right now I have 1 with 10.2.1, another with 10, a 3rd with 9.03 and I just retired the one with 8.0.5 as I am using that drive for other testing). Another advantage of this is; if I have a crash, I can swap drives in about 10 seconds, reboot and go back to work(I always keep a clone of the last solid setup and images of the last several sit on a 2TB USB drive). If you're not backed up.....you're a disaster waiting to happen

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-30-2012, 03:26 PM

That's great, thanks for your help. I guess I'm gonna just have to take the dive. *holds breath*
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM

@albee... isn't that tantamount to dual (or triple) booting? :)
Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 AM

I ran 9.06 and 10.1 until I unistalled 10.1 then installed 10.2. For a few months, they both ran great. Of course 9 was more stable but the upgrade asked for the uninstall of the older version. The latest upgrades involved no unistalling. I believe I installed 9.06 after I upgraded to PT10HD. I had a huge problem with the upgrades and maybe that allowed both 9+10 to co-exist for awhile.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahnmil View Post
@albee... isn't that tantamount to dual (or triple) booting? :)
maybe quadruple in my case. Having separate drives for each version just makes more sense to me. Plus it makes for a simpler backup method. I just connect my image drive to whatever version setup I am running at the time, and save an image, naming it for the date and the PT version. After over-writing or cloning in the wrong direction once, I am very careful on my backups these days(boy did that one hurt)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Haha. It looks like dual/triple/quadruple/shall I just say multiple booting can be pretty useful then. Perhaps I should have done that... I've had Pro Tools 10 installed for two weeks and since I installed it have been able to achieve... NOTHING! Big problems, have had an open call with Avid support which is getting nowhere and a pile of work on my desk that's getting bigger and bigger. Can't say I wasn't warned though!