Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-01-2001, 06:44 PM

Default Best slots for 001 PCI card and RAM chips?

Howdy,

Does it matter which slot you place the 001 PCI card in? I've heard various reports, and some say it makes no difference. Any comments? I've currently got mine in one of the lower slots.

Also, how about the RAM chips? PC guys have told me that it's important to put your largest RAM stick in the "first" slot, etc. Any comments / info on this? What is the best way to install the physical RAM chips? (I have three sticks, a 512, 256 and 128)

I'm about to tear my system down to bare-bones and rebuild it from scratch in order to try to lose the Type 1, 2, 3 errors, and I want to do everything letter-perfect. I MUST beat this Type 1, 2, 3 error problem!

Thanks. -imp
Old 11-01-2001, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Best slots for 001 PCI card and RAM chips?

FWIW: There could be a remote chance you have a memory compatibility problem. Unless you're running a lot of other programs along with PT, 384mb is about the max you should need. PT and DAE don't need any more than about 100mb each, and any system bog down from plugins is from lack of cpu and not memory. My G4 500 came with 128, and I dropped in another 256 - no problems. When you rebuild your system you might to try this first and see how things go before you add the rest. This may have nothing to do with your problems, but as long as you're starting over...just a little food for thought.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:34 PM

Hi bassmac,

Ok. So what you're saying is that when I rebuild I should just try using the 256 and 128 stick only? I will add that I just did a test today... I removed all the RAM and then merely inserted the one 512 stick in the top slot leaving out the others... but this did not help the problem. Or maybe I should just try running the 256 stick only? I wonder if there could be a compatibility issue when running two different sticks? I noticed that each stick is made by a different manufacturer... Hyndai, Samsung and Tobisha. It's not like I had a choice when I bought them.

I had previously set my memory allocation to 100Mb of RAM for PTLE and 100Mb for DAE, but I now have it set to 50Mb for PTLE and 60Mb for DAE which is the max recommended by Digi in the book. I will add that I do not run any other big programs on my rig (no Photoshop or anything like that) so I guess I don't really need tons of RAM. But, I do work with a very large amount of regions and do large amounts of editing. I am always working with groups of 8 tracks at a time and doing lots of cutting and pasting, etc... I would guess that this type of activity would use a lot of RAM... ?

Side note... I just ran some more tests tonight... I unchecked more extensions (unchecked everything for my trackball, iTunes, etc)... the problem was still there. I tried running the session on both of my internal hard-drives... no difference. I tried the RAM swap as mentioned above... no dice. I think it's rebuild time. I hope I can fix it.

My friend has an older Mac, a sawtooth 500 or 533, something like that, and he has no problems at all and I run the same sessions over there. If I cannot fix my rig, I guess I will look for a used sawtooth machine and try to sell my new 867. But I really hope it doesn't come to that.

Right now, I am looking for any and all tips on how to configure my machine from scratch in the BEST possible manner. I want to do everything in the absolute ultimate manner possible. I want DigiDesign to hand me an award for configuring my system so perfectly. Ironically, I had this same attitude when I built the system the first time... but somewhere alng the way this Type 123 error thing crept in, so I will try again.

Thanks -imp
Old 11-01-2001, 09:58 PM

The only issue with the ram could be it's speed. As you have an 867 machine all ram must be 133mhz speed. If any of the chips are 100mhz you'll have problems. There is another compatibility issue that is unlikely as I don't believe the computer would even boot up if the ram wasn't compatible. Make sure the 001 card is properly seated and is in the first slot (nearest the top)

You may have to consider doing a clean install of OS9.2.1. Please don't install OSX on the same drive. If it's already installed then you need to remove it and format the drive and install 9.2.1

there's a lot of reasons why you could get errors 1-2-3 and ram and hardware are the first places to look but an improperly setup clean OS can also cause problems. I say when in doubt clean house.

Kevan
Old 11-01-2001, 10:14 PM

<< The only issue with the ram could be it's speed. >>

How do you check the speed?

<< Make sure the 001 card is properly seated and is in the first slot (nearest the top) >>

Ok. Why must it be in the first slot near the top? I don't remember reading anything about this in the past. I am curious. My 001 card is currently NOT in the top slot. It may be in the third or fourth slot. I only have one other PCI card in the machine, and that is the video card that came with it. Off hand I don't remember what slot the video card is in, probably the first slot. so you suggest I put the 001 card in the first slot and then perhaps put the video card in the seconds slot? I don't plan on getting any other PCI cards, but I suppose I may need a SCSI card at some point in the future, so I just need to keep that in mind.

<< You may have to consider doing a clean install of OS9.2.1. Please don't install OSX on the same drive. If it's already installed then you need to remove it and format the drive and install 9.2.1 >>

The first thing I did when I got my machine was re-initialize the drive and re-installed OS 9.2.1 and DID NOT install OSX. I have no need for OSX.

<< but an improperly setup clean OS can also cause problems. >>

"clean OS"...?

Thanks -imp
Old 11-02-2001, 10:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>How do you check the speed?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

most chips will have a little sticker on them telling the size and speed. The Apple installed 128mb chip has such a sticker. It will be 133mhz and CL3. Don't worry about the CL factor just that all chips should be 133mhz for your computer. If one of them is 100mhz you'll have problems. I'm not even sure the computer would boot with 100mhz chips.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Ok. Why must it be in the first slot near the top? I don't remember reading anything about this in the past.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just a suggestion...not imperative.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I only have one other PCI card in the machine, and that is the video card that came with it. Off hand I don't remember what slot the video card is in, probably the first slot. so you suggest I put the 001 card in the first slot and then perhaps put the video card in the seconds slot?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whoa there boy...relax a bit. The video card in your computer is an AGP card and as such must be in the AGP slot which is technically the first slot but I'm not talking about that. I should have been more specific. I assumed that we all know that AGP video cards must be in the first slot which is an AGP slot completely different than the PCI slots. Of the remaining 4 PCI slots I suggest putting the 001 in the first slot...no explanation necessary at this point.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>clean OS"...?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you've already done it...installed a brand new clean install. It's just a term for installing fresh. I would also suggest doing the same with PT LE as well.

Kevan
Old 11-06-2001, 08:32 AM

My NEW 5.1.1 software "getting started" manual Specifically Shows a picture with the .001 card to be Placed in the BOTTOM SLOT or #5 or 4th PCI slot.

This is only described in the Picture on page 5. It does not state this in words.

LOOK at the picture on page 5... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 11-06-2001, 08:46 AM

Very interesting. Ok gurus... what should it be? Top slot, bottom slot, or does it not matter at all?

The only reason I had installed mine in the 4th slot is so that I could have easy access to the ADAT ports. On my friend's machine, the card is in the top slot (right under the video card), and it's extremely difficult to plug or unplug ADAT cables from the ADAT ports... if I remember correctly, we need to remove the monitor plug just to have enough room to get fingers in there for the ADAT cables. However, this issue is very trivial compared to the actual functionality of Pro Tools. I'd screw the PCI card to the roof of my house if it meant ending the error problems.

And, I see that no one has responded to the issue of what slots / order of slots etc for RAM chips... so I guess this does not matter. A PC guy told me that it does matter on PCs...??? Or maybe not.

By the way, I've tried just about every combo possible of RAM chips, and I still have a bad Type 123 error problem, so it's not the RAM chips. I currently have just one 256 chip in the top slot... and it ain't any better than when I had the 128, 256 and 512 in there, top to bottom in that order. The Type 123 error is merciless. I still have yet to rebuild my rig from scratch (re-initialize and re-install), i'm just trying to finish a project that is already a few weeks overdue, working day and night. After that, the machine comes apart.

imp